It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uggh, I'm an idiot. Windows Movie Maker problem, need help please!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I love ATS, I really do. It has a forum for anything. The people on this site have given me great advice for almost every problem I've posted here.

Anyway, so... this is classic movie maker, not live movie maker. Live sucks.

At first, I had a problem importing videos. The videos I needed to import simply would not show up when I clicked "Import videos." I figured that out. The videos need to be in a different format. So, I downloaded the converter, and converted them.

In the beginning, it worked perfectly. I converted the videos, then they showed up when I needed to import them.

But now, for some reason, they aren't showing up anymore when I try to import them.

The videos are in the proper format, but they won't show up anymore. It stopped showing them for no reason.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? It's extremely annoying... I was having fun making videos again

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxNightAngelusxX
I love ATS, I really do. It has a forum for anything. The people on this site have given me great advice for almost every problem I've posted here.

Anyway, so... this is classic movie maker, not live movie maker. Live sucks.

At first, I had a problem importing videos. The videos I needed to import simply would not show up when I clicked "Import videos." I figured that out. The videos need to be in a different format. So, I downloaded the converter, and converted them.

In the beginning, it worked perfectly. I converted the videos, then they showed up when I needed to import them.

But now, for some reason, they aren't showing up anymore when I try to import them.

The videos are in the proper format, but they won't show up anymore. It stopped showing them for no reason.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this? It's extremely annoying... I was having fun making videos again

I think it a bug in Moviemaker, I used to get the exact same problem. I gave up and now use Magix.
I did find if I stuck with wmv's or dv format it was fine though. Sorry I cant offer the fix though.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Rather than 'import,' simply drag them over to the collections panel (make sure 'collections' is ticked on under the View menu.

They need to be preferably .wmv files, however .avi's will occasionally work but most often will crash MV. If you originally imported them from an external device (and the device is not presently attached) MV will not recognize the files. Make sure they're copied to C drive, then dragged to collections.

If you already have a timeline created, and have red X's, try to browse for the missing file (right click on the thumbnail, choose browse). If MV can't find them, obtain the files, copy to C drive, then browse again.

Most probably your troubles have arisen from either importing from a memory card or USB that is no longer attached to your pc (import does not copy information, only links to it), or the video files were converted with a newer codec than MV can handle.

Hope something there is of help.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I can't STAND windows movie maker... it's generally simple but buggy ...

I use vegas video and have had much success with it .. it's stable and more capable .. plus if you are interested in doing more with your video in the future, it's a great next step anyway..

The adobe line is also great, I just work with sony acid for music production so sony vegas was natural to me..

It will push you to get SERIOUS which is when I learned after effects ( adobe ) which can do all the video editing and also do some incredible effects.. but it's not at all for a beginner

one of my songs I made a video for using after effects.. ( I'm oneduality ) ( oneduality is me )

edit on 1/30/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

You'll want to get MMC, to make sure that your files are in .wmv format. Run any file through it to get it into standard "wmv format. Live uses .WMV files, (yes, agreed, horrible!) so the problems with file recognition may be a simple capitalization problem.

Link to Mobile Media Converter. (MMC)

I use MMC regardless of using MM or not. It's real handy to push content back and forth between formats. If I want to add a movie on my smartphone, or take one off, it goes through MMC.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is an example of something I did entirely in vegas alone ..

Basic..

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Another Magix user here. It is a great program. I have an older version with somewhat crippled codecs and compression, but I still like it better than Windows Movie Maker. The music tools are out of this world.
edit on 1-30-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for genuine cajun flavor.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

You are not an idiot, movie maker sucks. I love windows and Microsoft but movie maker is like a turd that you are not quite sure is diarrhea or not.
I like sony vegas, you can get a free month trial for every email address you give it.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
If you moved the location of the files to a different folder they won't show up in movie maker anymore.

You would need to import the file again from it's new location.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Every time I tried to use movie maker it froze up on me. I stopped using it.

top topics

join