It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Shooting Spree Unfolds at Same Time as Senate Gun Hearing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Arizona Shooting Spree Unfolds at Same Time as Senate Gun Hearing

www.slate.com...

Five people are injured, three of them shot, in a shooting at an office complex in north-central Phoenix Wednesday morning, officials said. Around 10:30 a.m., officials reported that three people had suffered gunshot wounds in a building on the 7310 block of 16th Street, near Glendale Avenue, officials said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Wed Jan 30 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I don't know to much about this yet, and I probably won't for a while, but I thought I should post this because it happened today. Several people died in another shooting spree where the killer committed suicide, just like the Oregon mall shooter and Sandy Hook shooter. I imagine over the next day or two more information will be released and we'll be able to make more sense of it.

[url=http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/01/30/arizona_shooting_five_wounded_during_office_shooting_spree_at_same_time.html]www.slate.com[/url ]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I've posted about this before and I'll reiterate it again..

Shooting "sprees" like this happen all the time.. 2-3 people ( this was 3 people last time I checked ) .. there have been many instances of employees gone mad.. or going "postal" which came about because of the postal employee who went on a shooting spree .. the problem is the gun topic is a hot topic and the media is itching for every story they can find that is gun related.

This same thing happened after the Florida cannibal case.. suddenly the media was reporting cannibal cases, even from the past! .. they also started going rabid over anything bath salts or drug induced insanity.. but all of that is quiet now.. has it stopped? .. no .. was it ever spiking or increasingly unusual? NO ... but the media was sensitive to the topic.

This too shall pass... right now it's just a sensitive topic.. does anyone remember Clinton passing a ban on assault rifles and large capacity clips? .. the conspiracy theorists and media ran wild with that too .. talking about a revolution.. the NRA was foaming at the mouth.. was there a revolution? no .. because the average american has no need for assault weapons or large capacity clips.. this doesn't affect the LARGE majority of people.. it only affects a rather tiny segment of the population... but the media focuses on that because otherwise it wouldn't be a story.

Edit:

I'm not saying I agree with gun control, largely because it will be ineffective and doesn't get to the root cause of issues like this.. I'm just saying it's hyped up by the media because it's a sensational topic
edit on 1/30/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
We need the death penalty to be implemented for shooters. We need the sentence carried out quickly and within 60 days of sentencing. The price to pay is not yet extreme enough to stop them. Don't vilify the guns, gun sellers, and legal gun owners. NONE OF THEM DID ANYTHING WRONG. Penalize criminals who commit crimes.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Stop sensationalizing this. It was not a mass shooting. The man was apparently older, he came in, got into an argument then shot a couple people out of anger.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I've posted about this before and I'll reiterate it again..

Shooting "sprees" like this happen all the time.. 2-3 people ( this was 3 people last time I checked ) .. there have been many instances of employees gone mad.. or going "postal" which came about because of the postal employee who went on a shooting spree .. the problem is the gun topic is a hot topic and the media is itching for every story they can find that is gun related.

This same thing happened after the Florida cannibal case.. suddenly the media was reporting cannibal cases, even from the past! .. they also started going rabid over anything bath salts or drug induced insanity.. but all of that is quiet now.. has it stopped? .. no .. was it ever spiking or increasingly unusual? NO ... but the media was sensitive to the topic.

This too shall pass... right now it's just a sensitive topic.. does anyone remember Clinton passing a ban on assault rifles and large capacity clips? .. the conspiracy theorists and media ran wild with that too .. talking about a revolution.. the NRA was foaming at the mouth.. was there a revolution? no .. because the average american has no need for assault weapons or large capacity clips.. this doesn't affect the LARGE majority of people.. it only affects a rather tiny segment of the population... but the media focuses on that because otherwise it wouldn't be a story.

Edit:

I'm not saying I agree with gun control, largely because it will be ineffective and doesn't get to the root cause of issues like this.. I'm just saying it's hyped up by the media because it's a sensational topic
edit on 1/30/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

So you're okay with innocent people being shot dead? 20-30 kindergartners shot dead every now and then?

So it's just the media hyping this up? This is a really sad state of affairs when people have accepted shooting sprees as part of our culture

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

That is not even remotely close to what he said, your reading comprehension is horrible.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by T4NG0
Stop sensationalizing this. It was not a mass shooting. The man was apparently older, he came in, got into an argument then shot a couple people out of anger.

I don't know about you, but a person getting into an argument and thinking that shooting the other people is a reasonable response is a worldview that should be sensationalized.

There's clearly something wrong with some segment of society in America, and sweeping it under the rug is hardly the way to address it.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I agree with the poster above (miniatus).

This is the media at work..."If it bleeds, it leads" is the motto of the newsroom. As soon as another hotly debated topic comes up, they will move along. There is no doubt why it is a hot topic right now and true to form, the media is jamming it's claws in as deep as they can and creating as much discord as they can wring out of it.

Never fear, our wonderful news agencies will bore of this and find another tragedy to exploit like they always do.
edit on 1/30/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Yeah man blame America, this kind of stuff only happens here. Good job. My argument stands that this was not a mass shooting. I live in Arizona and have been watching local news all day.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

i do agree. I think we need more back ground checks and mandatory checks at gun shows.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The media spotlights any stories even remotely related to the latest "flavor of the month". I can't wait until next month when immigration reform takes center stage and steals the limelight from the current flavor: gun control.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Yep.. and just before 9/11 there was a crazy amount of shark attack stories in the media lol. I will never forget that, there were soooo many shark attack stories in the media and then, blam!, 9/11.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

No.. he's just saying that it isn't the same kind of crime at all.
The difference is huge. It's a man that shot people in an argument as opposed to a shooter that planned an event and killed dozens of people whose only goal was to kill people (no argument, or motive).

I wouldn't say this is technically a mass shooting.

It's just the news trying to keep shootings as headlines so they can push it along with the gun control agenda.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
UPDATE: They know who the shooter is. He was having problems with his mortgage. Here is a link to the currant information :

NEW INFORMATION AZ SHOOTING

Here is his photo:

edit on 30-1-2013 by amatrine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Canada, tons of guns, not many killings with one.
Switzerland, tons of guns, not many killings with one.
USA tons of guns, tons of people killed by them.

What makes us so different?
Mood Altering Pharmaceuticals! (SSRI's)
Crappy, reactive healthcare
Tons of gangs running amok in every urban area
Yup I think I may have found an answer......

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Ban Arizona !

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You know what pisses me off about this whole media thing?

Today, during the mentioned senate hearings, Giffords husband paraded her out there onto the floor like a street grinder's monkey to read that statement. It gave the appearance she was incapable of contemplating those thoughts, and was simply reading what was put in front of her. Not minimalizing what happened to her, but trying to point out that she is being further victimized to push an agenda.

Secondly, when the whole Giffords thing happened, and this pisses me off the most, they blamed the Republicans and Palin. Remember that? The gunsights on the map thing? Wow, who could forget?

Now, it is all mental illness. Who among us did not cry out that Jared Lee Loughner was off his rocker? Just the same as was James in Colorado?

Funny, isn't it, how the story changes, history changes, to become convenient to their agenda?

The media *is* hyping this, for obvious reasons. It is further continuation of the anti-gun lobby that is taking place. A tragedy, to be sure, but keep in mind what recent history has played out.

What happened to Giffords was a tragedy too, was it not? But, at the time, a gun grab was not the convenience, blaming Palin and Republicans was. So her tragedy was used for an agenda, just as it was twisted today to further meet the agenda, with a thoroughly changed and forgotten history.

How soon we all forget. And for those who don't forget, that we stay silent and swallow this crap sandwhich.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
wow. obama is really pulling the strings,.
little HS girl gets shot now this...
Hmmm

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
wow. obama is really pulling the strings,.
little HS girl gets shot now this...
Hmmm

Really? You are gonna go there? Some peoples hatred of Obama simply blinds their ability to see clearly. No matter how little I care for our current Government (or the last ones) when I read statements like yours it make me embarrassed to be an ATS member.

Hey maybe the little girl was an actor and not really killed at all. Maybe the guy in Arizona is a Manchurian candidate. Thanks for helping to marginalize us ATS'ers as a "group".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join