It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel strikes Arms Depot near Damascus

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Well, I would tend to agree on all points, except.....

The only piece of hardware they would have to respect would be manpads. You would have to maintain, what, about 20k to stay out of their range?

Not saying it is a definitive video of the raid, but is within the realm of possibility. However improbable it may seem.

It seems the activation of the Patriots in Turkey have emboldened the Israelis to act against Syria, and maybe even goading them (Syria) to mount a counter-attack.

Pure speculation, which will no doubt be played out in the coming days and weeks.
edit on 30-1-2013 by ErEhWoN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I might be totally off here, but this strke coincides with Egypt's Pharao Mohammed Mursi assuring our Chancellor Merkel that Egypt would behave peacefully in the ME and towards Israel (in exchange for Germany's good word in upcomming talks about new loans and financial aid for Egypt)... just saying.
edit on 30-1-2013 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ColCurious

Don't think your totally off.....pieces of the same puzzle.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
www.haaretz.com...
So now the rebels are saying it was them that blew up the base at Jamraya.
This is what they said.

Several rebel sources, however, including a commander in the Damascus area, accused the authorities of lying and said the only attacks at Jamraya had been mortar attacks by insurgents

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Iran is a different story. They have enough weaponry even though it isn't as advanced to deal Israel a massive hit.

This would be quite true if they were neighboring countries and the conflict were isolated to just these two nations but that is just not the case.

Iran would never be allowed by NATO or the US to perform any aerial assaults on Israel in any way, shape or form. The US has control of Iraq and Afghanistan air space and would not allow that to happen. Combine this with the fact that Turkey is part of NATO and the US has just moved a multitude of anti aircraft weapons there and has full support of the Turkish government to use their airspace to protect "Turkish" interests.

If anything, I feel this is a mocked up move to neuter Iran by showing them and in essence there allies that they are powerless to get behind the bold statements the "supreme leader" made last week. Iran could move to block Hormuz but I think they are smart enough to know that is exactly what the UN and NATO want.

edit on 30-1-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Well, this may be true, but Iran seems to think they can pull it off if provoked. The question is, do these actions stand as provocation for Iran.

I would think the distance would be an issue as well, but Iran has impressive stockpiles of missiles capable of striking Israeli targets from Iran. The Israeli's wouldn't have much choice but to man their Missile Shields 24/7, waiting for Iranian Missiles to " Blot out the sun."

We already witnessed much lesser missiles get through in small numbers with the recent battle of Gaza. How do you think those shields are going to do against formidable Iranian Missiles traveling faster, higher, striking more accurately with Significantly larger payloads. Iran possesses cluster warheads as well. Some of them carrying as many as 1500 bombs. They possess these weapons in the thousands unlike the hundreds of garage built bottle rockets launched from Gaza.

Iran is a serious threat to Israel, this is largely in part why the defensive weapons we've seen placed all over the middle east exist. It will be a nasty conflict if and when it kicks off. Don't be mistaken.

Again, IF and WHEN. It could never happen.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A post I made in another thread about this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 30-1-2013 by intrptr because: delete

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
so in other words,

they just blew up that school of children and are now having a parade.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by RightlyCurious

This is a conspiracy site right? Let me check......yup.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
United against a comon foe..
Israel is in the roose to unite
Syria.
Assad unites the syrian ppl
and stays in power..

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
So, Israel committing an Act of War Against Syria, is OK, because Iran MIGHT commit an Act Against Israel.

Your Logic is Funny.

It's called a "pre-emptive strike".

It means if you think someone might punch you in the head, it's ok to punch them in the head first.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Things are heating up, Russia has declared Thursday "very concerned" about information regarding an Israeli raid on Syrian territory. Moscow also said it would condemn this attack if the information were true.

Russia said it's deeply concerned by reports of a shot from the Israeli Air Force sites in Syria near Damascus.

That's a violation of the UN Charter and is unacceptable, regardless of the reason.

That's also violation of an early inter-Syrian dialogue based on the Geneva Accords of June 30, 2012.

The Syrian army announced Wednesday that Israeli aircraft had "directly bombed" at dawn military research center located between Damascus and the Lebanese border. The army reported two people were killed and five wounded in the center, which has suffered "significant damage" and that "the building was partly destroyed."

Oh boy, world war 3 around the corner?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

The problem with Russia stating their 'concern' at Israeli air strikes on the scientific research centre in Jamraya near Damacus, is that Assad will look upon it as support, and just may embolden him to act in some sort of show of face? Then again, if Iran was to act, it will not do so with military strikes, but with terror tactics. I think we may see Hezbollah fire a few missiles into Israel, and Israel retaliate with over-the-top responses as it usually does on Palestine.

Assad knows he's beat. He's cornered, and backed into a corner. He's going to lose his chemical weaponry, so perhaps his best option would be to use them, and take as much of the region down with him, or indeed, ignite the start of a wider conflict embroiling the whole Middle East?

Russia will not act on their concern with any form of military action. Their only real concern is for their naval base at Tartus. As long as they get to keep their naval base, they won't care too much whom rules Syria. To be honest, this is a pivotal moment for Assad, he has to either respond with military acts against Israel, or step down? Iran knows if they were to openly get involved, it would be the catalyst for the West to act on them, and I cannot see them risking it.

China has been silent on the attacks by Israel, but may also state token concerns the way Russia has. Our concern should be if Israel continue to make air incursions into Syria, the more they do so, the more self-determined 'right' Assad has to fire back. The US and western allies won't get involved unless Iran openly and stupidly attacks Israel, or diplomatically against any military action from Russia, whom can only act in defence of its naval base, and less so in defence of an so-called ally, from whose territory are evacuating personnel, which you only do if you know a conflict is coming.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Israeli regime deploying forces on Syria border: Syria TV (PressTV)

yea yea, I know it's PressTV - but still very troubling.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ErEhWoN

There's more than that to worry about,even with standoff weapons. The Syrians use the ZSU-23-4, which even with standoff weapons is a deadly piece of equipment that pilots still have great respect for. They also have about 10 ZSU-57-2 units in operation. The only other piece of equipment they have that I would be worried about as a pilot is the SA-17, which Syria also has.

Yes, Syrian defenses might not be the best in the world, but why risk pointing out where you are by leaving a huge contrail behind, and take a chance on losing an aircraft and possibly pilot? What's the point?

The other reason I say this isn't the IAF, is where is #4? The IAF trained in US tactics, that means even numbers of aircraft in each element, so that they have a wingman. They used 12 aircraft per raid, so 8 strike, 4 CAP. There are three in the video, where's four?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Sure a high school baseball team has a team of baseball players, bats and balls and snappy uniforms however that doesn't mean they can play in the major leagues. This wouldn't even be a fight, it would be settled in a day perhaps 2.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Israel is its own sovereign nation...it doesn't need permission from the US to bomb something or someone.....
Back in the 6 day war they sunk a US ship. There is no "green light" required from anyone.

Otherwise good post

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Militarywarfare

Oh, Russia's going to condemn Israel. Horrors. They must be quaking in thier boots.

A violation of UN charter? You don't say. I'm sure Israel will print it out on toliet paper, like the last 137 times.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zerschmetterling
Syria and Iran threaten retaliation against Israel

Iran threatens Israel, warns of 'grave consequences' over strike on Syria

Iran has said in the past that an attack on Syria is an attack on Iran, if the Israelis have gone this far, they may have no choice but to go all the way... To Tehran.

The Alawite leadership in Syria and the Shiite theocracy in Iran have extremely similar beliefs, some of them actually want a confrontation with Israel and the "Great Satan" (USA)

I suppose all efforts to stop this have failed... You really don't want to know what can happen next.

Good luck.
edit on 31-1-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join