It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Example Of The Mental Health System Failing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
As we all know mental health is a huge issue in this country currently. I am a veteran and have recieved treatment for ptsd since returning home and have witnessed many failures in the system. I myself was lost in the system after returning home. It took me over three years to get the treatment I needed. I am much better now and continue to be stable as far as my mental state is concerned. I do still see people at the VA every now and then just so that they can check in with me to make sure I'm still ok.

I had an appointment with a care coordinator earlier this week and completely forgot about it as I had a tree crushing my car that I had to take care of. So I recieved a call from this person today and was promptly and rudely told that if I miss another appointment I will be dropped from the VA mental health care system. Apparently there new policy is that two missed appointments reguardless of the reason will get you ejected from mental health treatment at the VA.

Now does this sound right to anyone else. I see that as a failure on their part. Many of us have problems with memory and other things; myself from TBI and have a hard time with appointments and remembering them amongst the many other things in our daily lives. So if we happen to miss two appointments we will be denied care in the future. I am just so sick of this BS with the VA. They are not trying to help us at all. If they were I would not have recieved a rude call from an intern telling me if I miss another appointment I won't be able to stay in the system.

I'm glad that I am mentally ok right now but I fear for others who may be worse off. How many have been shut out of the system over this bs. And how many of those people now are a danger to themselves or others at least potentially. I believe it is time to start writing some more letters because I see this as a problem. Not only is it BS but the way I was treated over the phone was enough to make anyone who may be unstable act or want to act irrationally. I am pissed myself but I will handle it the proper way and not let my emotions get the better of me.

So for all of those who wish to know how our mental health system is going. Here is an example of what many of the veterans across this nation are facing. I cannot speak for the civilian side of mental health but I imagine it is similar in nature. I am only writing this today to get it off my chest and to give an example of how the mental health system is failing in this country. That is all I want the readers to take from this.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So you want them to waste their time with people not showing up for their appointments? And most importantly, you want them to waste taxpayers dollars too?!?

It sounds like you have the problem(I'm talking about your expectations, not mental condition), not their system.
edit on 30-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: sorry for the possible confusion

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Your right, that does not seem fair at all.
Heck, the regular doctors office, even the vet, will call you the day before to remind you of an appointment.
Maybe you should ask if they could provide you with a reminder call?
Although they should do that anyway.

Also, if you have a cell phone, you could put it on the calender, and it will ring to remind you. I've just started doing that, because I am just plain forgetful.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Tips to improve mental health :-

*Never watch TV
*Start meditating
*Join Yoga Classes
*Learn about Chakras and Kundalini and attempt to activate them through meditation
*Try to become 'vegetarian'
*Read books on motivation,inspiration,confidence and self esteem
*Maintain a healthy relationship with mother nature. Go to the mountains, bank of a river or simply walk barefooted on grass.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
So you want them to waste their time with people not showing up for their appointments? And most importantly, you want them to waste taxpayers dollars too?!?

It sounds like you have the problem, not their system.

There is alot more to it than just people not showing up for appointments. This was just one of many examples. As I said many suffer from TBI and unless reminded the day of will forget things like this. If you do not suffer from TBI then I do not expect you to understand how difficult remembering things can be even with reminders. The point is they are giving up on patients too easily.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
reply to post by usmc0311

Tips to improve mental health :-

*Never watch TV

Already there. I hate television.

*Start meditating

That does help.

*Join Yoga Classes

maybe I'll give it a try.

*Learn about Chakras and Kundalini and attempt to activate them through meditation

I'll look into it.

*Try to become 'vegetarian'

Sorry I love meat too much. I have a pig to butcher this weekend
I do grow all my vegetables organically though.

*Read books on motivation,inspiration,confidence and self esteem
*Maintain a healthy relationship with mother nature. Go to the mountains, bank of a river or simply walk barefooted on grass.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Holy crap. Are you serious? What an ignorant thing to say. Firstly, thatnk you for your service, OP, especially given the challenges that saddled you with.

As for this post, I can't begin to call out your cluelessness. One of THE biggest issues with people suffering from mental health issues is ensuring continuing care. For more severely affected individuals monitoring their medications and ongoing car is paramount. These are exactly the people that DO require follow-up and close monitoring. It's easy for these people to drift off and fall out of care as a direct result of the illnesses. That's the last thing you want to have happen. Some of these folks become unstable and potentially dangerous when off their meds. These same meds are not pleasant and it's an ongoing challenge to contnue to encourage these patients to keep taking them.

What the VA is doing is an extension of the draconian policies Nixon put in place that essentially emptied the mental health facilities into the streets. Putting the responsibiliy for care on patients that are demonstrably unable to effectively shoulder that responsiblity as a direct result of their illness.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It seems there are major problems in this area (see article in link below). You have every right to complain. If you don't complain (or if nobody complained) how will things ever have a hope in hell of improving?

I would call that person's boss and explain why you could not make that one appointment and that you are concerned that if another emergency arises that may prevent you from making a second appointment (2X and you're out) will you really be ousted from the program? I would also ask if there is an appeal process, or what recourse do you have.

I would also suggest to them that a good practice would be for the office to send out reminders to not only confirm the appointment but to help people remember. Did they suggest you mark the appointment down in a calendar/diary book? This is usually suggested to people who have poor memory issues.

I hope everything works out for you.

www.familyaware.org...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

That was a very good way of explaining the issue. Thank you for that. It is just disturbing to see how some people are being treated. Many are so much worse off than myself and I just wish everyone could get the help they needed without it causing the distress that it does for so many.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

Thank you for the link. I was unaware of that legislation. They do give us reminder calls but it is ussually days before the appointment. I have asked to be given a reminder call the morning of my appointments and have yet to recieve one. My wife ussually keeps up with this stuff and is my biggest help. It's crazy how my memorie is still outstanding in some areas but completely failing in others. It's an almost helpless feeling sometimes to struggle with memorie issues. For many this is hard to understand. Again thank you for the link.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

It sounds like you have the problem(I'm talking about your expectations, not mental condition), not their system.

edit on 30-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: sorry for the possible confusion

better than wasting it on bonuses, bailouts and illegal/immoral wars. appointments get missed. there may be extenuating circumstances. what's missing is a little humanity in the system. nobody cares about people anymore. it's all about budgets and deadlines. and petty little beuraucratic  nonsense edicts.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311

Thank you for the link. I was unaware of that legislation. They do give us reminder calls but it is ussually days before the appointment. I have asked to be given a reminder call the morning of my appointments and have yet to recieve one. My wife ussually keeps up with this stuff and is my biggest help. It's crazy how my memorie is still outstanding in some areas but completely failing in others. It's an almost helpless feeling sometimes to struggle with memorie issues. For many this is hard to understand. Again thank you for the link.

Did you notice this at the bottom of the article? Just in case you ever need it.

Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and press 1 for veterans.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Yes I did. I actually have that sticker on my computer with the number to keep handy for anyone who needs it.
Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join