It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study shows that men who do housework get less sex

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
In a study of hetero married couples, it was discovered that men who do housework have less sex than men who don't help out. Its not as simple as that though, it showed that men who stick to the traditionally masculine chores like taking out the trash and yardwork actually had more sex. Its when the men started to do what is traditionally known as "women's work" that the sex life was found to suffer.

More housework, less sex for married men: study

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, as they say: the more housework married men do, the less sex they have, according to a new study published Wednesday.

Husbands who spend more time doing traditionally female chores -- such as cooking, cleaning, and shopping -- reported having less sex than those who do more masculine tasks, said the study in the American Sociological Review.

"Our findings suggest the importance of socialized gender roles for sexual frequency in heterosexual marriage," said lead author Sabino Kornrich, of the Center for Advanced Studies at the Juan March Institute in Madrid.

France 24

I wonder if women subliminally lose respect for men who help out with the "women's work" and don't find them as sexually attractive? Maybe the smell of lysol, dish detergent and other cleaning fluids is a turn off for women?

Whatever the cause, it should warn folks to stick within their assigned roles if they want to keep up a healthy sex life.

ETA: I found a link to the abstract for the study here.

edit on 1/30/13 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
They probably get less sex because housework is hard and after doing all that housework they are too tired to have sex.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
IDK I am sure this is like not all the time thing because I work from home and I mostly do the cooking, I clean allot of stuff and do the dishs mostly because my GF is always working full time and I don' t want her to have to come home and clean when I am at home.

She actually takes the trash out because the trash can is on her way out in the morning when she goes to work.

I have back problems and neck problems so I can't just have sex whenever all day long like when I was 20. My gf is down ANYTIME, as much as I want usually allot more then I want lmao and that goes even if she did work all day, come home and clean, then cook dinner, which she does sometimes.. She would still be ready to go!

So I think it depends more on the women. I also think it probably has to do with the mans personality which I am very dominant if you have some fem guy doing all your housework I am sure he probably wont be getting very much.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well, If I don't cook -- I don't eat.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Not buying it!
I'm more than happy to reward the hubby for doing the dishes.

Seriously though, I thought women liked having men help out around the house? I sure do. I would think men would get more, if they are doing stuff around the house, especially without being asked.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I found also having two kids 3 years old and 3 months old killed the sex life as well

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
They probably get less sex because housework is hard and after doing all that housework they are too tired to have sex.

I think you may have found the solution to the problem. From all the other replies, men helping out makes the women grateful and more willing.

Studies have shown that, while men have more physical strength, women are superior when it comes to endurance. One of the other posters even said that it was his fault that they didn't have sex as often as his girl wanted. I guess women's housework just wipes out the guys and leaves them too exhausted to perform after hours.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Anyone seen my mop and bucket?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
IDK I am sure this is like not all the time thing because I work from home and I mostly do the cooking, I clean allot of stuff and do the dishs mostly because my GF is always working full time and I don' t want her to have to come home and clean when I am at home.

She actually takes the trash out because the trash can is on her way out in the morning when she goes to work.

I have back problems and neck problems so I can't just have sex whenever all day long like when I was 20. My gf is down ANYTIME, as much as I want usually allot more then I want lmao and that goes even if she did work all day, come home and clean, then cook dinner, which she does sometimes.. She would still be ready to go!

So I think it depends more on the women. I also think it probably has to do with the mans personality which I am very dominant if you have some fem guy doing all your housework I am sure he probably wont be getting very much.

Im sorry about your back but you just confirmed the study

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I have back problems and neck problems so I can't just have sex whenever all day long like when I was 20.

That's what she said.....

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I think its a study put out by Sharia or something, or those hidden agenda people in our PTB that want to promote this cultural regression.

Not true in every family I know, in fact the more a man is a woman's friend and not a controller, the less fights, the more intimacy. Unless of course one considers all the makeup sex something special.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Most women are grateful when their man helps out. It is the "Look at what I did, I don't know why you complain, it isn't that difficult" thing that probably cuts off the nookie. Or maybe if the guys complains about how he shouldn't have to clean....things along those lines.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
All I can tell you for certain, is that it's not true in this household. I do all the cooking, and because I tend to devistate the kitchen, I do most of the subsequent KP. M'darlin' does most of the laundry and I do most of the sweeping and mopping.

We're both happy with our level and frequency of sex. 'nuff said.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Statistics dont show everything. Maybe the men who do more housework have wives who are not well?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Whatever the cause, it should warn folks to stick within their assigned roles if they want to keep up a healthy sex life.

Yep women, get back in those homes, in front of the stove, and stay barefoot and pregnant. That's the place for you. Maybe after that you can start to wear burquas and stop driving. Yep, and those were the days before women got the vote and the glass ceiling was made out of concrete. Yep, stick to those assigned roles...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think there is a large measure of truth in this study. It certainly fits in with my experience with women.

It varies, and depends on how long the relationship has gone on.

I think that women feel like they want a man to help out with the chores. But often, they subconsciously lose respect for him when he does more than a certain amount---once he can be expected to do the dishes, then the woman gradually loses her gratitude for his efforts.

Don't get me wrong; I imagine men are probably the same way---I just don't care, since I'm not trying to bang one.

But half of the species, wants one thing, until they actually get it. Giving it to them actually makes them like you less.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I guess the study proves its not just me and my marriage. Thanks researchers!!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Most of these studies are BS. They keep changing their opinions just like (coffee is good for you one day, eggs are good for you one day until someone elses proposes another theory that they're not). I share a lot of housework with my wife and find the study to be nothing but BS

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I am with chiefsmom!
I find my husband even sexier than normal when he's in the kitchen. Plus he smells better than after a dump run!!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I have to agree with some of the other ladies because there is nothing that gets me all riled up quicker than watching my husband doing housework! Same as far as the reverse goes as well- watching me do the yardwork gets the husband all kinds of excited!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join