It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"There is only now" is not only a spiritual concept. The past is quite literally an illusion.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Hi from germany,
when i was a kid i often wondered what would happen if anyone on the planet lost their memory. I asked myself how the people could know that the past really happened.

As a child, one wonders about the mysteries of life. You can feel that there are secrets that even the adults do not understand.

When i was young i often came across spiritual "claims" like : "there is only now" and i thought: "Jes! We never really experience something else than now..."
I wondered about that in a really profound and deep way dont letting my "instilled knowledge" come in my way.
I really felt that it is one of the big "hidden" paradoxes that "Now" is able to create past and future without loosing its ability to only exist "NOW"....later i read statements from "enlightened" people saying: "NOTHING EVER HAPPENED"....this claim also resonated with the depths of my soul in a way i can not really explain and i wondered again: will statements like that stay reserved to the spiritual realm or will there be a time when "physics" will also begin to talk about the "past" as an illusion.

As i grew up that would become harder and harder to meditate on questions like that because i were spoonfed with so many believes that seemed to be "Reality" that i was not really able to "meditate on questions" anymore.

Today I came across a video from my favourite "con-man"..or "alien"...as you like it, ( i dont care how we define it right now because what is important for me is only the subject "Now and Past"..).

He talks about the whole thing in a really clear way. I dont even grasp the whole thing..i listened to it today more than 10 times and begin to feel that good old feeling again...the feeling that "society" does not even really understand that "the past is created NOW" and is one of the biggest illusions conciousness has to offer.

He says: that quite literally there is only "Now" and that Continuity and linearity are illusions which are constructed from this exact moment...

But i already sensed that...interesting is HOW he explains it.

I hope a few of you give it a chance and watch it.. Its pretty mind blowing in my eyes and i think one day what he says will be seen as nothing more than an exat description of reality!!

I am interested if you also sometimes wonder about the paradox of the "eternal now" and "Linearity"...

the beginning is quite simple but it gets more and more interesting when he uses the "charts" ...

edit on 30-1-2013 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
the interesting thing about the 2 dimensional "holographic matrix"" that he shows as a represantation is that you can really "grasp" how everything is just "empty in itself" but consists only of "relationships"...

intuitivly i can understand much better now how we shift from reality to reality by "relating".

Interesting.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Actually within the Ra and Seth material they state that even our future actions can affect our past in ways we cannot imagine.

"Time" is completely something we cannot percieve.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
Actually within the Ra and Seth material they state that even our future actions can affect our past in ways we cannot imagine.

yes and there is not "one future" there is an infinitve number of possible futures and it depends on the relations your consciousness makes which future you will perceive.
But interesting concept: there are relationships to a future that determine the now... Holistic concepts.

Jeah Ra and seth are really great.. I could not find contradictions between the 3 channel sources.

Btw: this reminds me of a holistic philosophy in which god creates time to be able to create time at the end..means: he goes through a process of "not knowing "what he is and how to create" and at the end because of this knowledge is able to create that process "of not knowing who he is"..
hm i can not really explain that in english : what if we ourselfs built our past selves in the future. That would make sense in way because only intelligence can create but intelligence is also knowledge and knowledge consists of possibilies...

I guess this concecpt makes only total sense when we stop believing that 3 to 4 dimensions are the only operational states of consciousness.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
i am so inspired by this "matrix metaphor" he gives.. We can really see that every "small" change is a change that becomes potentially relevant on the linear scale later...more and more.

Thats why staying positive is so importan.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Haven't heard many people speak better or more clearly on this topic than Alan Watts. I can't remember all the lectures/clips where he addresses it directly, but this one immediately springs to mind:

I highly recommend exploring more of his material (on YouTube and his books).

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
As retro-causal psi becomes more of a household concept the illusion of the past will become more and more dispelled. Liberation from the past is how miracles happen.

edit on 30-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by kauskau

Originally posted by ObservingYou

yes and there is not "one future" there is an infinitve number of possible futures and it depends on the relations your consciousness makes which future you will perceive.
But interesting concept: there are relationships to a future that determine the now... Holistic concepts.

Jeah Ra and seth are really great.. I could not find contradictions between the 3 channel sources.

Btw: this reminds me of a holistic philosophy in which god creates time to be able to create time at the end..means: he goes through a process of "not knowing "what he is and how to create" and at the end because of this knowledge is able to create that process "of not knowing who he is"..
hm i can not really explain that in english : what if we ourselfs built our past selves in the future. That would make sense in way because only intelligence can create but intelligence is also knowledge and knowledge consists of possibilies...

I guess this concecpt makes only total sense when we stop believing that 3 to 4 dimensions are the only operational states of consciousness.

Yea, like Seth said about Atlantis - something like.....It's a thought perception that WE are manifesting into reality in our past and future, it has happened, and yet not happened.

If that makes sense? lol...Like you said, it's hard to explain in English.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Think about it, while the elites created a catastrophic event, say "Sandy Hook Shooting", in the recent "past", so to speak.

And tries to manipulate the "future", with the said "event" while pulling emotional strings such as, "this is for the safety our kids", while it is the "now " that we are suppose to consider and act upon.

Does anyone see how they "know" and manipulate our very existence???

Peace

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
That a German should attempt to deny the reality of past event is spine-chilling.

I am not accusing you of anything but insensitiveness, but you really should know better.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

On a related note, I was just thinking that since we're all going to grow old and die anyway we may as well be good stewards and help others because at least then we'll have respectable karma.

There're two people in life. One of them doesn't grasp the moment and be aggressive about living. This person inevitably develops a karma debt and to relieve the despair and shame they turn to drugs or thrills or similar things to distract their mind from the inner truth. The other person lives each moment and never lets it pass by without making a mark on the world. This person inevitably becomes known by others for constructive things they've done. They're confident and secure. They will grow old just as the other person will, but they won't have near as many regrets.

You only have one short life to live.

Why do some people make terrible decisions and then live to feel ashamed? And then that shame destroys them, as well as bringing others down? Well, it could be lots of things.

If you don't grab the moment, it'll pass you by. It's simple logic, I think.
edit on 30-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Hi from germany,
when i was a kid i often wondered what would happen if anyone on the planet lost their memory. I asked myself how the people could know that the past really happened.

Okay, let's see if we can't figure this out.

As a child, one wonders about the mysteries of life. You can feel that there are secrets that even the adults do not understand.

A child? But you are not a child. You are an adult. You never were a child....unless the past did, in fact, happen. A past that happened while you were a child. But, were you a child? Let's take a look and see if there is any indication that you were a child in the past.

When i was young i often came across spiritual "claims" like : "there is only now" and i thought: "Jes! We never really experience something else than now..."
I wondered about that in a really profound and deep way dont letting my "instilled knowledge" come in my way.
I really felt that it is one of the big "hidden" paradoxes that "Now" is able to create past and future without loosing its ability to only exist "NOW"....later i read statements from "enlightened" people saying: "NOTHING EVER HAPPENED"....this claim also resonated with the depths of my soul in a way i can not really explain and i wondered again: will statements like that stay reserved to the spiritual realm or will there be a time when "physics" will also begin to talk about the "past" as an illusion.

Now, I'm no semantics expert, but this really does indicate that you were once a child, and that you are no longer a child. That there has been a period of time that has elapsed between that past moment of time when you were a child (before you put away childish things) and that you were clearly affected by the thoughts that you had back in that past period of time when you were a child. Now, as an adult, you remember that past, and the thoughts you entertained while you existed within that past.

Again, I'm no semantics expert, but you seem to be your own most damning witness against your "the past is an illusion" claim, as you ruminate about considering that claim as a part of your own intellectual, philosophical progression through previous years (a real and impactful past) that brought you to your present (a fleeting Now) way of thinking. But let's continue our examination of your own testimony to the impact of the past on the "you" that you have become.

As i grew up that would become harder and harder to meditate on questions like that because i were spoon fed with so many believes that seemed to be "Reality" that i was not really able to "meditate on questions" anymore.

Okay, so you didn't learn much about sentence structure or verb conjugation, but it's clear that you have progressed through a linear continuum that still exists as instructive within your own personal "memory cloud" of residual information. This could never be the case if there had never been actual events that occurred previous to this "quantum of now" that you seem to embrace as the only reality that does exist or can ever have existed as anything but illusion. Residual information emerges as a default response to each quantum of change as they exist, and then become the past to make way for the following quantum of change.

Today I came across a video from my favourite "con-man"..or "alien"...as you like it, ( i dont care how we define it right now because what is important for me is only the subject "Now and Past"..).

He talks about the whole thing in a really clear way. I dont even grasp the whole thing..i listened to it today more than 10 times and begin to feel that good old feeling again...the feeling that "society" does not even really understand that "the past is created NOW" and is one of the biggest illusions conciousness has to offer.

You listened to it 10 times, and yet you refuse to believe that as you listened the 10th time, that in the past you had already listened to it 9 times? Yes, I'm going to agree that you don't even grasp the whole thing.

He says: that quite literally there is only "Now" and that Continuity and linearity are illusions which are constructed from this exact moment...

But i already sensed that...interesting is HOW he explains it.

the beginning is quite simple but it gets more and more interesting when he uses the "charts" ...

If he considers memory to be an illusion, then he's failing to take into consideration the ubiquitous dominion of ramification - which is odd, since he went so far as to employ it with his effort to preserve his presentation on a digital video medium. Seriously, all I had to do was present your own post back to you to debunk your entire concept. If I was sitting in front of you, I could touch your nose repeatedly, and prove my point. No collection of charts can debunk 10 nose touches as proof of a non-illusory past as true.

I'm sorry, but there's no possible way to detail your progress from past-embracing koolaid drinker to enlightened wisdom-embracing "Now only" purveyor of truth without revealing that there is a past, and that it's this past that links you to the erroneous thoughts you held before you became free of their illusion.
edit on 1/31/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

my god i wished we could discuss this in my language..

the core concept is this..

"Analogy: A radio does not have to create the program it wishes to hear. It merely needs to receive an already-existing program. And it makes itself an effective receiver by matching frequencies, synchronizing frequencies - creating a similarity of vibrations - with the program it wishes to receive.

Likewise, you don't have to create the reality you desire, because it already exists - among the infinite probable realities all simultaneously co-existing. All you have to do is make yourself an effective "antenna", so that by similarity of vibrations, you can receive that reality. And this makes it physiologically "real" for you. "

ok..
of course there is NO THING we perceive which is without relation.

The question is not if i can MAKE relations in my mind. Of course everything i perceive consists of dependent patterns because you can not perceive a singularity..Everything you "perceive" is an interpretation of reality consisting of uncountable elements wich are infinite..(the big bang is only a simplification for the linear mind) . You never perceived reality itself because reality itself is not an object. Reality itself is not differentiable so every perception is a simplification of reality . There is NO THING we perceive which is
self-reliant. So of course i did not say: "The "past" as a construct of "linear relationship" has no connection to the things i perceive. (even the keyboard i am writing on has a connection to what you would call "Past)...

The question is not if you CAN make that relation..the quesion is: what is time..what is the past? How do we definite it..and my theory is: we are wrong..and thats why i say: the way we THINK we experience past in an illusion. We never experienced the past..we allways experience the "Now" from another perspective..

Couldnt be the fact that we always experience "NOW" be a hint to something???? I can not give you any evidence or physical formular..i can just ask you: watch the video and ask your intuition if you can at least "wonder about" our concept of time.

A movie for example is really a very long strip of film. Per second, there are manye frames. Each frame is a separate piece of action. But in each frame, nothing is moving. Everything is completely still. What would happen if you would not only watch a few frames per second that are on the screen but could step back and see the frames that will come and were already passing through the lens....you would see that the past and the future are happening at the same time: NOW!..you would stop defining the "Past" as something which "happened"...past would just be a "location"....and i think the greatest analogy the nature gives us for that fact is: That the past only happened NOW .....so that means in a physical way there got to be a way to travel to that "OTHER NOW" in which i am a child..because..it still was NOW!!!!..you understand?..so ...what is the difference between the past you remember and this now? Its not "time"....because "Back than" was still "NOW"....the only difference is the "frequency or the "objects in the now"...so something which you can define.

.ah snap my language is not helping here..

The question is: DID THE PAST EVER HAPPEN???? DID WE EVER PERCEIVE A PAST? or are we just seeing an interpretation of another reality and we could have DOZENS of possibilites to "change that interpretation" and therefor even change the reality we are in..in that case "the past" would only be an interpretation of the relationships i perceive...

When you a wake up from a dream and think about your dream: you would see that the "now" is more real than the "dream"...but still the dream was happening now..my theory is : we can not see this because we have logic..and we have seemingly a system which is based on causality and logic..but the quesion is: is this only fooling us ? How do we know that this is the only reality and that we are not constantly shifting through "stills" which are just so similar to each other that we have the interpretation of a linear flow...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
That a German should attempt to deny the reality of past event is spine-chilling.

I am not accusing you of anything but insensitiveness, but you really should know better.

unbelievable that even when we try to philosophize some play the "shame card"..

so you say we germans would not be allowed to "overthrough our conecpt of linear" time because we have to stay in realtionship to a feeling of guilt?????

than i say: YOU SHOULD FEEL ashamed of what you did to your natives when you came from england

tsssss

edit on 31-1-2013 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012
Think about it, while the elites created a catastrophic event, say "Sandy Hook Shooting", in the recent "past", so to speak.

And tries to manipulate the "future", with the said "event" while pulling emotional strings such as, "this is for the safety our kids", while it is the "now " that we are suppose to consider and act upon.

Does anyone see how they "know" and manipulate our very existence???

Peace

yes..thats why 9.11 had an interesting consequence ...on that day random number generators spiked!!! And we still dont understand why...(some try to explain it with a global consciousness...think it could also have to do with "time lines"..because such a big effect has direct influence on "seemingly" random patterns which reveal in that moment that there is no such thing as randomness)

noosphere.princeton.edu...

life is such a mistery

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

hi, man, good read, dear doog....

I wonder about these questions to, we really cant prove that the past happened, relying on something that we have today.. or the future..

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

I bear the physical scars of the past...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

I connect that logic with the left brain hemisphere and the unison of everything with the right brain hemisphere. We are here and have to be able to perceive both at the same time to function in this place of boundaries and law. But still need to be able to perceive the wholeness of everything to see that everything is, only at one time. Eternity, we are, we were and we always will be.

You can also look at in in connection to physics. Light is both a particle and a wave. A wave when not observed but a particle when observed(or the other way around, cannot remember). We consist of light which illuminates us to perceive and observe our manifestation but are manifested by sound and it's characteristics and matter (seemingly, for matter is, and is not).

So you see, if you look at your life in the light of light(yes I just did that) you will see that while you are a particle, you are also a wave, and both are individually whole, both at the same time.

Hope I made any sense, like the author of this thread, I have to translate all I say directly from my tongue.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

reply to post by NorEaster

my god i wished we could discuss this in my language..

You're doing fine. I didn't know that this is a 2nd language for you. I'm a typical American who is stranded in just this one language. That said, I'm illiterate in many languages, but I digress...

the core concept is this..

Likewise, you don't have to create the reality you desire, because it already exists - among the infinite probable realities all simultaneously co-existing. All you have to do is make yourself an effective "antenna", so that by similarity of vibrations, you can receive that reality. And this makes it physiologically "real" for you."

I'm afraid that while you are still anchored to the material realm, this is never going to be true. You can imagine this to be true, but it will only ever be psychologically "real" for you, since all you can affect is the strength of your illusory perceptions and the impact on your physiology they can have - which is not making a reality construct any more real than merely a crippling illusion.

The question is not if i can MAKE relations in my mind. Of course everything i perceive consists of dependent patterns because you can not perceive a singularity..Everything you "perceive" is an interpretation of reality consisting of uncountable elements wich are infinite..(the big bang is only a simplification for the linear mind) . You never perceived reality itself because reality itself is not an object. Reality itself is not differentiable so every perception is a simplification of reality . There is NO THING we perceive which is
self-reliant. So of course i did not say: "The "past" as a construct of "linear relationship" has no connection to the things i perceive. (even the keyboard i am writing on has a connection to what you would call "Past)...

Your inaccuracies concerning the existence of a "singularity" or "elements which are infinite" aside, you're right that nothing exists without a contextual relationship with everything else that exists. What you need to do is realize that reality is not an object. It's what physicists refer to as an emergent system; in its case, the result of the contextual relationship between everything that exists. It's like traffic in that sense, and completely unlike any of the myriad of systems that come together in confluence to bring it into existence.

The question is not if you CAN make that relation..the quesion is: what is time..what is the past? How do we definite it..and my theory is: we are wrong..and thats why i say: the way we THINK we experience past in an illusion. We never experienced the past..we allways experience the "Now" from another perspective..

Quantum Physics has proven that reality is literally quantized as identical, indivisible units of "now" that exist until they are replaced by the next identical unit of "now", with each "now" triggering the emergence of residual information quanta configuration clusters that permanently exist in place of each quantum unit of "now" that did, at one time, exist. These residual information clusters are actually what create reality as the emergent system that it is, and provide the contextual relationship structure that ultimately can be leveraged (by sentient being like us) as "natural law". Which is exactly what has happened within our own tiny slice of reality, with that computer you're looking at right now representing a really good example of the leveraging of natural law by sentient beings.

Without the rock solid precedence foundation of reality's gathering contextual structure as real and definitive, then nothing at all would be buildable or capable of being progressively developed. Not even memories.

Couldnt be the fact that we always experience "NOW" be a hint to something???? I can not give you any evidence or physical formular..i can just ask you: watch the video and ask your intuition if you can at least "wonder about" our concept of time.

You seem to think that I've never examined the issue of linear time.
Okay, did you know that it's been proven that you don't actually ever experience "now" as it happens? It's true. If you have a few bucks for the pdf download, I suggest that you take a look at this study - www.nature.com... - and see what I'm referring to when I say that it's been proven that you consciously experience "now" between 500 ms to a full 7 seconds after it's already occurred. I would have to suggest that this means that you're always experiencing the past, without actually knowing it. Now that should have your intuition "wondering about" your own concept of time, and about the actual research that some of the folks who pop together Youtube videos bother themselves with.

A movie for example is really a very long strip of film. Per second, there are manye frames. Each frame is a separate piece of action. But in each frame, nothing is moving. Everything is completely still. What would happen if you would not only watch a few frames per second that are on the screen but could step back and see the frames that will come and were already passing through the lens....you would see that the past and the future are happening at the same time: NOW!..you would stop defining the "Past" as something which "happened"...past would just be a "location"....and i think the greatest analogy the nature gives us for that fact is: That the past only happened NOW .....so that means in a physical way there got to be a way to travel to that "OTHER NOW" in which i am a child..because..it still was NOW!!!!..you understand?..so ...what is the difference between the past you remember and this now? Its not "time"....because "Back than" was still "NOW"....the only difference is the "frequency or the "objects in the now"...so something which you can define.

You can't watch a movie that you are integral to. In other words, if you want to view the progression of time within your own reality confine as being a movie, then you will have to deal with the fact that you only exist as a image within that movie, and that as an image, you can't exist beyond the film material of the movie itself.If you feel that you are entitled to project yourself outside of the movie, then you'll have to contend with the logical requirements of existential identity, and agree to become non-existent (within all the frames of said movie) as the price of stepping outside of the movie to view it as a film strip. But then, since reality (as the movie you have presented it as being) is the emergent system that exists as a result of the contextual relationship between all that exists within the system that it is, then your elimination from that confluence of contextual relationship (in all "frames" of that movie) completely obliterates the identity of that specific reality as the emergent system that it is. The truth is that it isn't the same reality without you that it would be with you included. So you actually can't "step out" from the film material of this movie, but even if you could, your elimination would completely alter every aspect of the reality whole itself, saying nothing of the mayhem that would ensue if you were to actually be capable of shoehorning yourself back into the mess again after upending the entire structure by leaving.

You kids and your imaginations. It's great fun and all, but lately there have been too many folks embracing this silliness as real, and isn't that the kind of thing that got us into all this trouble with religions and superstitions centuries ago?

.ah snap my language is not helping here..

It's not your command of the English language that's not helping here, trust me.

The question is: DID THE PAST EVER HAPPEN???? DID WE EVER PERCEIVE A PAST? or are we just seeing an interpretation of another reality and we could have DOZENS of possibilites to "change that interpretation" and therefor even change the reality we are in..in that case "the past" would only be an interpretation of the relationships i perceive...

Your memory is just an interpretation of the relationships you perceive. The past is represented by residual fact clusters of physical information, and as I said, these residual fact clusters are permanent. They are responsible for things like gravity, electromagnetism, centrifugal force, math, and the fact that I can't fart butterflies even if I want to. They are literally responsible for every aspect of reality that you like, love, hate, and wish could be different than it is. They aren't responsible for time, but then time is the most pervasive contextual unifier within any reality confine, and even information itself submits to it. That's what the quantum of "now" is based on, and what separates "now" from "not now". A very specific and stable rate of change. Just simple physics, and not mysterious at all.

When you a wake up from a dream and think about your dream: you would see that the "now" is more real than the "dream"...but still the dream was happening now..my theory is : we can not see this because we have logic..and we have seemingly a system which is based on causality and logic..but the quesion is: is this only fooling us ? How do we know that this is the only reality and that we are not constantly shifting through "stills" which are just so similar to each other that we have the interpretation of a linear flow...

Those "stills" are the quanta of now as they happen, only to become the past as soon as the unit rate of change expires. You exist only because of the stability and quantization of time's linear progressive development trajectory, and the ongoing impact on the contextual relationship confluence that each residual fact cluster has as it emerges to accurately represent each quantum of now that has just been replaced by the next quantum of now. You can't affect any of it. You are a result of it. And it's just that simple.
edit on 1/31/2013 by NorEaster because: an experiment in overloading a single post

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kauskau

From your title

The past is quite literally an illusion., page 1

Oh no its not. The past is recorded in the brain. Every single thing that happens to you is recorded. Everyones memory is proof of that. Ever try to remember something for a day and you can't so you give up? Then later it just "pops in there"?

Its all there, you just may not have access to it. People with emotional blocks can't remember the childhood trauma that gave them a phobia about heights or blood or the dark for instance, but under hypnotic regression they suddenly recall the source of their problem. They overcome the "block".

Old people have difficulty remembering their past because their age. Or head injury cause some to loose their memory and it all comes back after convalescence.

Everything you ever heard saw or felt is recorded in your brain pan. Even during sleep. If there is gun fire or a scream down the street, your brain records that while you slumber. Everyone, everything.

So be good for goodness sake....

remember you are being watched... by you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join