It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Dakota House passes bill allowing school districts to arm teachers.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I think I read something like 6000 school districts already had these laws on books prior to SH

as long as the person intended to defend the school does it voluntarily and is well trained, I think it is a good idea

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
S&F!

They arm teachers in Israel, so why not here?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
A picture might be worth a thousand words, but the words could be complete fiction, based on what we read into the picture.

There is a picture going around the Internet that I have seen about a dozen times today that claims that Israeli teachers are packing heat. Well, are they? The answer is “NO.” ....

In the picture, the students are on an outing. While it appears that the teacher is holding a rifle, I have never seen such a thing in ten years of living here. Rest assured however, they are under armed protection. In most cases it is an armed guard or a soldier that will accompany a class, not the teacher. And my guess is that the woman with the gun is a security guard, not a teacher.

The article continues ...

Israel’s successful gun ownership laws both serve to make sure upstanding, brave and mentally sound citizens have access to guns, and that those who present even a minor threat are prevented from possessing one. It would be a mistake to use Israel as the poster child for more weapons in the US, as our success here is much more connected to limiting weapons and enabling strategies such as gates, fences and armed guards (not armed teachers), to protect our children. Sorry to disappoint, but the truth is important.

source

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by xedocodex
reply to post by Helious

South Dakota isn't really known for being a bastion of intelligence.

What an absurd thing to say. When you grasp for straws it makes you look dumb. I mean this is the weakest rhetoric I have seen from you yet. Like a teacher couldn't just bring a gun to school on their own accord if they were going to do something? I am sure they will have them safely secured and the fact you think they will be pulling guns on punk kids shows that you aren't exactly a "bastion of intelligence" yourself. At least if it happens another teacher will be able to stop it.

I can see it now. A distraught SD teacher sitting in his home, alone, cradling a gun thinking "whenever they pass the law letting me bring you to school legally I'm going to get even with those mouth kids." Seriously, this passes as logic to you?
edit on 1-2-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm encouraged by most of the posts in this thread. It is not as if we want to see our schools turned into war zones or have them resemble the wild west. Most of us just want an alternative to authorities showing up after the fact. Given the choices so far, Ill take trained educators who have the training and the bravery to protect not only my children but others should the terrible need arise to do so.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

I'm for trying something to calm down this insane gun control rhetoric. I think the guns should be safely secured, and maybe even be remotely locked where they can be released and then afterward have a secondary key by the teacher so that way no student can get to them with ease and at least two teachers have to agree to open them, but even if they don't go through that system I think it's fairly safe. I don't want to see teachers carrying them on their hips because that diverts attention and could be considered threatening, but access in an emergency is key.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join