It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You don't need the Hubble to make your own stunning images.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
We have had some nice threads with examples of what the Hubble can do so I thought members would like to see what people are doing with more humble equipment.

There are many sites on the internet with great images of the night sky this site in the link here TWAN is one of the best.

TWAN is The World At Night, on here you can see many stunning images and timelapse videos that show the wonders of the night sky that can be photographed with no more than a decent camera, tripod and a bit of knowledge on the subject.

To give you an example of whats on this site here is a timelapse with the vimeo link to watch it.

vimeo.com...

For the photographers on here this is how the above video was done.
Nikon D700, 14-24mm lens, ISO 3200, 754 frames x 30sec

There is lot of useful info on here with links to equipment etc maybe it will inspire some on here to learn and try what is shown, enjoy!!!!
edit on 30-1-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

... and what is more, then you can't blame NASA for covering things up, photoshopping, lying, changing colours, etc, etc, etc, lol
edit on 30/1/2013 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You can also use robotic telescopes available through various websites, for example www.telescope.org...

Or you can use the existing data from various sky surveys at skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov...
For example, here's a couple of images I created using WISE infrared telescope data from that website:

Interstellar dust near the Orion nebula:

Heart nebula:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Excellent.

Star and Flag and thank you.\

I am not understanding the 758 frames in 30 secs thing though

How can a consumer camera take that many frames a second?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by lnfideI
Excellent.

Star and Flag and thank you.

I am not understanding the 758 frames in 30 secs thing though

How can a consumer camera take that many frames a second?

Thanks

No it's 754 frames each of 30 seconds exposure then a movie is made from the stills!!
edit on 4-2-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

To be fair, although it's not anywhere near the same ballpark as Hubble in terms of cost, that is a fairly costly collection of kit. In particular, the lens is arguably the best wide-angle zoom for astrophotography, and has a price to match. It's a lens I have been lusting after for a while, but unless I can find it cheap somewhere it'll be a while before I can afford it.

Similar results could be achieved with much more modest budget for equipment in my experience, especially if someone is willing to buy used.

I do agree though that it's amazing what can be achieved with fairly modest equipment. Good post

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Man I wish we could see that with our naked eyes.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireballStorm

Originally posted by wmd_2008

To be fair, although it's not anywhere near the same ballpark as Hubble in terms of cost, that is a fairly costly collection of kit. In particular, the lens is arguably the best wide-angle zoom for astrophotography, and has a price to match. It's a lens I have been lusting after for a while, but unless I can find it cheap somewhere it'll be a while before I can afford it.

Similar results could be achieved with much more modest budget for equipment in my experience, especially if someone is willing to buy used.

I do agree though that it's amazing what can be achieved with fairly modest equipment. Good post

You will love this then taken with a Panasonic DMC-FZ200 CSC 60 secs f3.2 focal length 101mm

forums.dpreview.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
Man I wish we could see that with our naked eyes.

You CAN if you can get about 50 -70 miles from the nearest town on a clear dark night, if you can do that take some binoculars you will be in for a treat!!!!

new topics

top topics

join