It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else wonder what it's like to be "dumb?"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
In comparison to most people I know, I'm inevitably superior when it comes to intelligence. I have the ability to learn a chapter of vocab in five minutes, ace every math test, ace every test I study for, and so on. I don't know what it's like to study for three hours and get a C. If I do that, I get an A. I don't understand how people can't question authority, think critically about a TV show, etc. It's like my mind segregrates me from the majority of society. I'm proud of my wits, but it's sad how naive and stupid people are. I don't know if it's genetics or lack of educational motivation. Maybe being smart is uncool. Hm. I still question what it's like to have an inferior mind, to have a poor memory, and to have little ability to think for one's self. Also, I do recognize that school ability doesn't really matter, but smart people are probably more likely to understand something than people who aren't smart.

Hopefully I didn't sound arrogant.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by catswithbigpaws

Proving intelligence and wisdom have very little in common....

You did.
edit on 30-1-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Ask me anything.
(In lamens terms please)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

What should I have for breakfast?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
Ask me anything.
(In lamens terms please)

oh you must have the latest google chip as well.

perhaps personal skills are not taught in a classroom?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by catswithbigpaws
In comparison to most people I know, I'm inevitably superior when it comes to intelligence. I have the ability to learn a chapter of vocab in five minutes, ace every math test, ace every test I study for, and so on. I don't know what it's like to study for three hours and get a C. If I do that, I get an A. I don't understand how people can't question authority, think critically about a TV show, etc. It's like my mind segregrates me from the majority of society. I'm proud of my wits, but it's sad how naive and stupid people are. I don't know if it's genetics or lack of educational motivation. Maybe being smart is uncool. Hm. I still question what it's like to have an inferior mind, to have a poor memory, and to have little ability to think for one's self. Also, I do recognize that school ability doesn't really matter, but smart people are probably more likely to understand something than people who aren't smart.

Hopefully I didn't sound arrogant.

Well, ignorance is bliss, so I suppose it must be pretty nice lol

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Intelligent people tend to know how dumb they are. That's the only major difference I have noticed.

There is always someone smarter than you, and someone not as bright. You can spend that time feeling superior to the lesser mind, or inferior to the greater mind..

I recommend simply trying to be comfortable with your own mind..learn from the superior if possible, and teach to the inferior if it is desired...

and never, never discuss how clever you truly are..let your words and actions speak for themselves. First sign of insecurity is boasting with nothing to back up their claim.

OPs, you part of mensa?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It feels great!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Intelligent people tend to know how dumb they are. That's the only major difference I have noticed.

There is always someone smarter than you, and someone not as bright.

BINGO.

Quoted for truth.

Nicely stated.

I mildly surprise myself each time I successfully use my microwave on a power setting other than High.

edit on 30-1-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
In the grand scheme of things it is exceptionally unlikely that the unabashed prowess of your mind would actually separate you from society. Just as you imagine what it's like to study to make C's someone else wonders what it's like to have to study at all. You can learn a chapter of vocab in minutes; others can learn entire languages in days. Forget your pity for those who are less intelligent it is very likely they understand the world just fine and if the gap is truly ponderous show them compassion instead.

The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know. -- Socrates

The more you know, the less you understand. -- Lao-Tse

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Common sense goes along ways.
A book makes a good fire.
edit on 30-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Do you work at Dunkin Donuts or McDonald's??

If you do, then all of your intelligent comments are null & void.

If 95% of us worked there, we would feel exactly the same as you.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Because you said that, i'm now going to make pancakes.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Do you work at Dunkin Donuts or McDonald's??

If you do, then all of your intelligent comments are null & void.

If 95% of us worked there, we would feel exactly the same as you.

Are you saying that, if you are working at those places you are dumb and or stupid? I hope that you don´t. That is verry mean to people who do that.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Because you said that, i'm now going to make pancakes.

Can I have blueberries in mine?
I like blueberries.
And with a smiley face with them to,if it's not to much trouble.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
You're as dumb as the rest of us.
If not, what the hell are you doing here?
Welcome to the club.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nettlas

Are you saying that, if you are working at those places you are dumb and or stupid? I hope that you don´t. That is verry mean to people who do that.

Yeah,don't be mean to dumb people,they will spit in your food.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Muffins of coarse. Nothing better than a face full of muff first thing in the morning.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Was going to skip this thread but I can't resist... the OP clearly has some form of superiority complex. As already stated, truly smart people know they are dumb. It's the whole "knowing what you don't know" thing. Realising that while you have alot of knowledge and intellectual acumen, that there is still a humongous amount of stuff you don't know and things that you just never will be able to wrap your head around.

Around my wifes friends, I feel like an absolute genius, but around a few of the "geeks" at work that think quantum mechanics is an interesting hobby, I feel like I have the IQ of a fly.

Here's one that we bounced around for a few days... does light age? I'm not talking about the Doppler effect, red shift (which is still a "best guess" theory), or the various other effects that gravity, friction and physical matter have on photons, I'm talking about where a photon, in absolute vacuum with nothing to bump into, no gravity wells or other photons to affect it ages in some form due to the passage of time. Also note that in order to prove a photon ages, you would need to prove that a photon has a birth (origin). A point where it popped into existence due to some random event.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I'm TOO dumb not to make some kind of smart-snazzled kind of reply. Wisdom is set on fire and burns brightly in that one.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join