It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Continues to work on Smart Cameras (RFID) for Future Devices

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Apple Continues to work on Smart Cameras (RFID) for Future Devices

www.patentlyapple.com

On January 24, 2013, the US Patent & Trademark Office published a patent application from Apple that reveals a possible next chapter for Apple's iDevice cameras. In 2011 we posted a controversial patent report titled "Apple working on a Sophisticated Infrared System for iOS Cameras." The report covered how future iDevices could be used as an auto tour guide in a museum and how infrared technology would be able to shut off a future iDevice camera at live events. Today's patent is in that same vein as it focuses on how future iDevice cameras will be able to identify objects such as a paintin
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.manufacturing.net

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Apple is working on "smart cameras" and plan to equip the iphone 6 with RFID (radio-frequency identification). This gives us a glimpse of an (in my opinion) ominous future in which every citizen carries around the technology of a spy, enabled to take a peek into the events in private apartments, offices, cars and anywhere else they desire to peer. As if our privacy hasnt already been decimated with Google, Webcams, CCV, Geo-Positioning, etc. the next generation of "new media" plans an all-in assault on our private spaces.

www.patentlyapple.com
edit on 29-1-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

never liked a phone I could not remove the battery from. If it cant be turned off...I dont want it.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

never liked a phone I could not remove the battery from. If it cant be turned off...I dont want it.

Well of course you can always wrap it in aluminum foil when you want privacy

Seriously, that's simple and hard to defeat.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Apple are far too big. They do as they wish and there isn’t much that can be done about it other than refuse to buy their products. Very dangerous stuff...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

And Samsung / Google android is no different

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
If this surprises anyone, then that surprises me....

Just look at the "next-gen" devices that Google is working on. They already possess a software based technology similar to what is described in this article. It's called Goggles, and it's an app that allows you to "search" via a picture, which is essentially object recognition.

Couple that with Google GLASS, the hardware needed to achieve an "always on" imaging device, and viola, who needs eyes in the sky, when you have always on cameras on every head around the world. The only thing stopping them from utilizing such a surveillance program now is that most people keep that "imaging device", our smartphones, in their pockets, but even then, we all know that if Big Brother wanted to use your smartphone to spy on something, they easily have the power to do so. Hell, they're already experimenting with it: www.technologyreview.com...

Now all that being said, IMHO this is where technology is going. Everyone already has their faces buried in smartphones/computers most of the day, myself included. The future extension of that is to have an always-on computer wrapped around your face/eyes. Technology can be both good and bad though....Sure I don't believe with widespread surveillance using consumer technologies, but Augmented Reality is definitely something that could further the causes of the human race, in my opinion.

I'll leave you with one more thing to consider, the NSA, arguably the most techno-savvy surveillance agency in the world, is working on a $2 Billion dollar MASSIVE Data center in Utah. Anyone wonder what they need all that data storage/processing power for?

www.wired.com...
edit on 1/29/13 by ElijahWan because: edit

edit on 1/29/13 by ElijahWan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

2 issues I immediately see here.

1. If people don't want to be spied on, they should not by the tech that allows it

2. People are basically too stupid uninformed to even understand it is going on, much less how to avoid it.

"Getting the word out" does not work for people like us, the so called "Fringe Element" as most of what we try and inform people of is brushed aside as folly.

The government control of our everyday lives is steady marching on

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Incredible, what can they hope to achieve with such moves. I am
a big apple fan but this stuff has me worried for the future of Apple. I
wonder if Steven Jobs knew.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by tearuone
Incredible, what can they hope to achieve with such moves. I am
a big apple fan but this stuff has me worried for the future of Apple. I
wonder if Steven Jobs knew.

Of course he knew, he was probably behind a lot of the tech. He always said the iPhone was never to be turned off, and it was the software that made Apple "better" then the rest in his opinion. Anyone can build an iPhone, but will it be as smart as one? It is disturbing thinking that they can watch or listen to what phones can see and hear, and that Apple uses a non-removable battery.

Off topic, did anyone know iDevices use a tiny hard drive and not a microchip for storing data? That's pretty cool considering what a hard drive physically does, and how much storage those iDevices can have.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
An anti alien camera is what is needed. So the iphone when it is under a ufo like the farmer in the stephenville case, when he is under that bad boy he could of taken a photo and the ufo's magnetic field wouldn't shut it off. Like those saucers do to cars, jeeps and the like.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

1. If people don't want to be spied on, they should not by the tech that allows it

In this case its other peoples phones that can spy on us with their "smart cameras".

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Well of course you can always wrap it in aluminum foil when you want privacy

Seriously, that's simple and hard to defeat.

What use is wrapping my phone in tinfoil when my neighbor can use RFID to peer into my house?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Build a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door.

I wish the world understood the fact that they are the mice.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Apple is working on "smart cameras" and plan to equip the iphone 5 with RFID (radio-frequency identification). This gives us a glimpse of an (in my opinion) ominous future in which every citizen carries around the technology of a spy, enabled to take a peek into the events in private apartments, offices, cars and anywhere else they desire to peer. As if our privacy hasnt already been decimated with Google, Webcams, CCV, Geo-Positioning, etc. the next generation of "new media" plans an all-in assault on our private spaces.

www.patentlyapple.com

This is just a tiny correction--but the iPhone 5 is already out. So you must be talking about the 6.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
App developers I know fall into 2 categories: 1) Those who have these smartphones 2) Those who choose not to have them.

The people who know how these smartphones work know that they are tracking devices, pure and simple. The difference between the people who keep the phones and those who don't is generally based on the fact that the ones who don't keep them know WHY these are tracking devices: Government requires it.

But don't take just his word for it.

edit on 1/29/2013 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Apple is working on "smart cameras" and plan to equip the iphone 5 with RFID (radio-frequency identification). This gives us a glimpse of an (in my opinion) ominous future in which every citizen carries around the technology of a spy, enabled to take a peek into the events in private apartments, offices, cars and anywhere else they desire to peer

While the object identification itself is a bit ominous, you shouldn't worry too much about the RFID aspect. RFID readers only pick up signals that are specifically being broadcast to them (the museum example). This technology would not allow someone to spy on you personally, unless you own things that broadcast RFID signals.

I'd my more worried about the object ID and history (i.e. you just passed the same car that cut you off a few months ago)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by semperfortis

In this case its other peoples phones that can spy on us with their "smart cameras".

Exactly.

It's getting to a point where you can't avoid it. I refuse to enter a room with xbox kinect in it. I don't have a TV but I'm seriously considering getting one while you can still find them without cameras and microphones just in case I ever decide I want a telly again.

Some of my friends use 'whatsapp' but I refuse to but despite this whatsapp has all my details because those details are in my friends phones. How is it legal to force a smartphone user to divulge names, numbers, addresses and dates of birth of a person who has no connection to that app or organisation?

In lieu of an embedded under the skin RFID/phone, there will come a day when everyone will be required to carry a smartphone and have a social networking site account.

I have quite a few old and unwanted mobile phones, everytime someone I know gets a new phone I ask for their old non smart, non camera phone. I also keep a few pay as you go sim cards active too.

Apple is becoming more insidious than Google, and far worse than microsoft. People are far too ready to trade privacy for apples 'free from malware' walled garden approach. Me included, but I'll never willingly buy a phone without a removable battery.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I've seen this coming for a couple of years now. I've mentioned it numerous times on ATS. I'm surprised Google isn't doing the same thing. (Or are they?) We already tie in GPS coordinates when we take a picture, with the date and time it was taken. This is of course tied to your IMEI number of your phone. So if you see something and share that image, everyone knows exactly where it was taken with a little know how. (And this is partially true on all cameras minus the GPS locations.)

Google's "Project Glass" (the glasses with a small computer and camera built in) is something that scares me a hundred times more then the article you posted. Everyone (heck, even my grandma) has a phone with a built in camera. Which means, any time they want they can take a picture with something they always have on them. Now, think about something that continually scans and records data. That's what Google's Project Glass does. And it's connected via wireless at all times.

In theory, it means that someone somewhere (i.e. Google) knows where you are, who you hang out with and what you're doing just because you've decided that Google's glasses are neat and something you'd like to wear. Heck, even innocent passerby's are recorded.

It's just scary, everyone and everything will constantly be under surveillance and we're the ones doing the surveillance!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
This was actually predicted in an old Arthur C. Clarke short story which was about everyone being able to spy on everyone else with an electronic device (instead of one Orwellian Big Brother spying on everyone). I forget the name of the story though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join