It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Mexico a dangerous country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Just wondering, is it really dangerous to go visit Mexico today? I've heard so many stories and rumors of the massive slayings of drug cartels and how even the Mexican government are powerless against them. The Mexican police are completely corrupted and brutal, a "for-profit" business. They regularly take bribes from locals and foreigners.

www.cbc.ca...

According to here, Mexico is only referred as "avoid some areas."

Can someone who recently visited or lives in Mexico share their views?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I grew up in southern Texas living not to far from Laredo (on the border of southern tx. and mexico) and I'll tell ya what some of the stuff that went on around there was Modern Warfare type stuff, very dangerous IMO. Not all areas are bad. It's like anywhere else, you have your good hoods and bad hoods... Where are you thinking of going?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I wouldn't go if I were you.
I personally have been wanting to go back for some time now to visit family, but the region in which my family resides is very dangerous.

I'm sure if you went to a tourist area you would be ok. Cancun probably best place currently for tourism.
Stay out of the border states.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Talking to ATS members here it seems like Mexico is 2 countries. The north is dangerous as hell but the south is beautiful and safe.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Places on the Caribbean and the yucatan would be perfectly fine. I have been a couple of times and travelled from west coast to east, had no problems at all, you just have to be careful. I felt comfortable walking around Mexico City and using the public transport, during the day, wouldn't do it in the night time though. I think it's just the boarder area and maybe some places along the west coast. I wouldn't let it put me off another visit.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yes?
Did I win?

The resort towns are covered with armed guards to protect tourists, the border towns are a different story
edit on 28-1-2013 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by slapjacks

Oh I don't have any plans to go down there myself anytime soon. My friends always want to go since it so close (we're in California). Also most of the time there are great deals and packages on flying down there to southeast resorts such as Cancun, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. Common touristy areas. I often hear in the media how dangerous the North is. But I also hear about incidents happening else where too, how tourists get held up and robbed. Here's something interesting I found:

www.mexicovacationawareness.com...

How many times have you heard “you will be safe as long as you stay inside the resort”? On this site you will read stories that show staying inside the resort does not ensure your safety. At many resorts in Mexico the levels of safety standards are far below those in the U.S. From low balcony railing heights, to lack of lifeguards at the pools, to non-existent first aid emergency plans. What you read on this website will shock you.

I don't know how legit this website is though.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
Yes?
Did I win?

The resort towns are covered with armed guards to protect tourists, the border towns are a different story
edit on 28-1-2013 by dashen because: (no reason given)

Now that's something I haven't heard before. Do they also provide armed guards when they take tourists on trips outside the resorts?

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

I would agree avoid SOME areas...like you would avoid certain areas in any capital city, or in like Chicago, or any other place.

I have been, not bad at all. I felt really safe. Plenty of cops and military patrols...ect..

You should absolutely read up on anywhere you go though. Some areas and activities in those areas are not good for gringos.

Over all....I give it a 7-8 out of 10 in terms of safety...

Oh and dont "yolo"...and dont "bling bling"-"swag"... ANYWHERE in the world.....and you should be ok....
edit on 28-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

true...most places have private security...nice restaurants, shopping centers, money exchange /transfer offices, tourist attractions, bus terminals, ect.

LOTS of private security.....its a booming industry.
edit on 28-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

Some friends of mine just went to Cozumel about a month ago. They had a great time and felt safe. That being said they followed the advice I had given them about inquiring with people working at the resort they were staying at before going places off the resort grounds. The locals who worked there let them know what places were safe and what places weren't. They also advised them to only use the resort's shuttle services (which were free and available 24 hours per day) and not use taxis or other local transportation.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I had the worst experience in Cancun. The police are all crooks, they rob tourists and nothing you can do about it. Bus drivers robbed us demand extra, what are you going to do you pay it. I would never go back to any part of this country. Maybe because it was spring break when I went, but I did nothing illegal whatsoever. All conclusive trip $1200 ended up costing me $3800 when it was all said and done. I won't even get into how me and another buddy got kicked out of our hotel. 30 people in a room partying and how just me and him get singled out is mind blowing but I digress. They're are many other places to go in this world that are way safer and offer as much or more depending on where you were planning to go anyway.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

my roommate went back to visit family 3 times since ive known him and he always comes back safe, he visits Mexico city which i hear is pretty harsh. he does look Mexican(he a halfixcan) and his family are natives. i dont know if there is a a difference between white people visiting and natives visiting. it seems to me he has home field advantage as opposed to a white person visiting with no one to guide them

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
How can Mexico be dangerous? They all migrated north to the United States.

top topics

join