It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When push comes to shove, which side of history will you be on?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
When push comes to shove, which side of history will you be on?

With all the talk about "the great divide" within our country (USA), I've wondered quite a bit lately how the majority of soldiers would react, or act, when given orders to take down the citizens they took an oath to protect. When I say take down, that can be killing, unjust arrests and/or tossing into camps, stuff like that. With the Govt. constantly restricting what we can or can't do, by our Govt. slowly stripping away the rights that made this country unique and special, if the trend continues the way we're seeing it, what side of history will the majority of soldiers be on?

I have numerous friends who've served in the military (in both Iraq and Afghanistan), they've now returned they're living civilian lives so it's hard to gauge what they would do, because they're not active military anymore. I'm worried that one day something bad will happen on US soil, I worry that maybe one day the Govt. will come knocking on everyone's doors and if you don't comply with their demands you are deemed an enemy of the state and arrested...

I'm curious to get ATS's take on this. Say the 2nd Amendment is just the tip of the iceberg, maybe they have a bigger and badder plan just around the corner to keep taking away our "rights" and say that day comes when US citizens decide that they've had enough and push back. Do you believe most soldiers would side with the citizens of this country or do you believe they would take their orders and execute them?

When soldiers state they will protect against all enemies both foreign and domestic would WE (the US citizens resisting against the Govt) be deemed the enemies and if so, would US soldiers then turn on us?

If this doesn't make sense, I'm sorry.. Hopefully I made myself clear enough to you all. I guess my major concern is whether or not we would be looked at as the enemy (even possibly terrorists) if we disagree and resists whatever actions the Govt. tries to take against us and whether the soldiers would turn their guns on us...

I do believe in our military, I do believe there are MANY good soldiers that make it up, sometimes the decisions of the leaders above make them look bad, but I do believe they're good people for putting their neck out to protect our rights. Now that they've done that, I believe we owe it to them to KEEP THE RIGHTS THEY'VE FOUGHT FOR... Taking away rights is a slap in the face for all the soldiers who've served.

And if there are any military in here, I'd love to get your thoughts on this, especially knowing that you've served or are serving and know of hundreds, if not thousands of troops...

Curious to get others perspective on this...

Thanks!
edit on 27-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
the civil war

that should answer your question in its entirety

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
the civil war

that should answer your question in its entirety

So going off of a war that happened 150 years ago is the best guess to how things would go?

You may be right, I just think with the advancements we've seen since then it would be suicidal to go against a military that has a budget like they do...and i think most soldiers would know that better than anyone...

WIth the civil war, you faced your enemy and fought... Today, that would be an uneven match. I figured guerrilla warfare would likely be the way to go after a bigger beast..

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I feel the military would turn on the citizenry.

If people did indeed try to take down their government they would be obliterated. The government has their eyes in every activist group. Tptb spy on their citizens for a reason and if a group of people decided to try and rise up against the gov they would be black bagged before they had a chance to assemble. Those that assemble too quickly to be black bagged would find themselves running as they systematically drop like flies without so much as seeing their attackers.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Good questions but difficult to predict who is going to what. Just because someone takes an oath doesn't mean they understand what they are swearing to. It could just be a formality to them. Later on they may understand but still choose to be a good soldier by following orders. Even though those orders are not lawful they still may not understand the difference between lawful and unlawful.

Right now people are arguing over what is right and wrong based on history. Yes what happened 150 years ago or 250 or however many years ago is relevant because it gives us a blueprint of what could happen next. If this information war turns hot then I expect each individual will proceed based their own level of understanding.

After that the whole process will probably repeat itself in future generations like it has done in the past.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cybro

Yea, I hear you... I read replies on other threads from current/former US soldiers and they speak about how they would fight against the Govt., which gives me hope, but I feel that they would likely be the minority in this instance. I hope I'm wrong and I hope we would always band together to make things "right" again...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Yea, I just don't understand how groups believe they could rise up against the Govt (if thinks got real bad) and survive.. If countries like China and Russia would likely struggle, what chance would ANY group in the US realistically have...

When a military has spent anywhere from $500 billion upwards to a trillion on its infrastructure, it's safe to say that the citizens of this country allowed them to get too much power and in a way we're at their mercy if things ever went bad..

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Have you read NDAA or the Patriot Act? If not here is a start, just to see how far gone our rights currently are.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC
Have you read NDAA or the Patriot Act? If not here is a start, just to see how far gone our rights currently are.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yea, it's really sad when you see post 911 changes we've seen as a country... But it's all for security right???

top topics

join