It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India successfully test-fires K-15 SLBM(Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
India successfully test-fires K-15 SLBM(Submarine Launched Ballistic Missile)

India on Sunday successfully test-fired the underwater ballistic missile, K-15 (code-named B05), off the Visakhapatnam coast, marking en end to a series of developmental trials.

In its twelfth flight trial, the 10-metre tall Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) lifted off from a pontoon, rose to an altitude of 20 km and reached a distance of about 700 km as it splashed down in the waters of the Bay of Bengal near the pre-designated target point.

According to scientific advisor to the Defence Minister V.K. Saraswat, the missile was tested for itsfull range of 700 km and the mission met all its objectives. He said the impact accuracy of the medium range strategic missile was in single digit.

With the completion of developmental trials, the process of integrating K-15 missile with INS Arihant, the indigenously-built nuclear submarine, will begin soon. As many as 12 nuclear-tipped missiles, each weighing six tonnes will be integrated with Arihant, which will be powered by an 80 MWt (thermal) reactor that uses enriched uranium as fuel and light water as coolant and moderator.

India is only the fifth country to have such a missile -- the other four are the United States, Russia, France and China.

Meanwhile the reactor has been integrated with the submarine and it was expected to go critical in May/ June 2013. Once that was done, the harbour trials will begin.

Besides Arihant, three other nuclear-powered submarines were being constructed -- one at Visakhapatnam and two at Vadodara. India is also developing K-4 missile with a range of 3,000 km.

www.thehindu.com...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

India is one step closer to Nuclear Triad , well.... certainly this seems to be were most of the scientific effort is being placed when it comes to defense..
edit on 27-1-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The arms race never really ended, and probably never will. I'm sure a lot of other nations are racing towards having these abilities, it would only be common sense. It's the only way to defend yourself if SHTF world war style.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
India is poised to creep right up on China. This is the second successful launch of a missle the other was land based and this one is from the sea. With India having a huge population, and being heavy in manufacturing they could just wait on the sidelines, and come out when the time is right.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I suppose it makes sense, India is a nuclear weapon state anyway. Any adversary might think twice now that India has a more survivable retaliatory system. The Indian government can now retaliate from beyond their own graves. What a sad achievement from the country which gave us Mohandas Gandhi

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
On a positive note. They own all the motels and 7-11's in America so at least we aren't being targeted.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
On a positive note. They own all the motels and 7-11's in America so at least we aren't being targeted.

This means I'm good. I installed a bunch of their wireless in the eastern US. And what is great is I only had to remember one name. "How's it going Mr. Patel?". Ahhhh, simplicity. Oh, and their women are hot. Not sure if they would let me marry into the hotel sect though...

top topics

join