It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BABY BOOMERS! I have a question for you (friendly)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Well, I’m busy examining my life (feel pretty good -- have one of those OH birthdays this year) and would appreciate your input:

How do you like it so far?

Are you happy, healthy? Did you find your one true love, your great purpose, a satisfying career, spiritual fulfillment? Did you have enough? Has the ride been good? Do you have worries about the future? Is there more to do?

Thank you.

edit on 27-1-2013 by 1007532013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 1007532013

Baby boomers had it so good. I hope you get some replies from people born in that era.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Im very healthy,. But not to happy. Wealth is more than money to me. My career could be better for sure! The future looks like it could be bleak for a while for me, But im looking forward not back.......Ps whats a baby boomer lol just noticed that bit!
edit on 27-1-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: Misread post

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

How do you like it so far? It's okay.

Are you happy, Yes.

healthy? Meh.

Did you find your one true love, Yes.

your great purpose, Think so.

a satisfying career, Not yet, well maybe.

spiritual fulfillment? Yes.

Did you have enough? No.

Has the ride been good? Yes.

Do you have worries about the future? Always.

Is there more to do? Absolutely.

Thank you.

You're welcome.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

It could be crickets in here as far as the boomers for all I know. Don't know how many there are here. I guess we did have it pretty good. I did a search and there was some ugly stuff about blame -- so I was trying to stay away from that.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Baby boomers are the generation after WWII. Born from 1947 - 1964. Big ol' group of folks. You have the right idea about wealth that's for sure. Many levels of wealth. Good luck to you!

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Sounds like you are right on track beezzer. Mostly good stuff for you. Congrats.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Yes
Yes
No
No
Yes
Yes
yes
No
Yes

Your welcome....you didn't ask about our sense of humor.....Yes

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Whoops jumped the gun a little with this one. Not quite a boomer sir. *hangs head for not understanding the thread before posting moment*.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival

Yes
Yes
No
No
Yes
Yes
yes
No
Yes

Your welcome....you didn't ask about our sense of humor.....Yes

The most important thing!! It will get you through anything.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor46

Whoops jumped the gun a little with this one. Not quite a boomer sir. *hangs head for not understanding the thread before posting moment*.

It's good to hear all perspectives. Probably shouldn't have limited it to one group. Apparently I may be the oldest person on ATS (59). I'm good with it! Not goin' anywhere.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Good for you to!. Still going strong as well

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Baby boomers had it so good. I hope you get some replies from people born in that era.

We worry about the progressive promotion of jealousy and envy on the younger generation. The government refuses to cut spending so they promote a wave of hatred against the older generation who paid their dues by the rules. We did not make those rules that we had to pay into a retirement system but we did all our lives and have planned for that being there. Nobody paid our way through college in most instances. Hell student loans were a joke 20-30 years ago. We didn't live with all the luxuries you have today. We didn't spend money on cable, cell phones, data plans... life was simpler. We had rent / car / gas / food... that was about it.

I personally worry about this promotion of jealousy end envy I see nowdays as though something is being taken from you that you never had. We can fix Social Security easy enough... don't let the politicians take it for other things and flat tax container tariff imports to fund it going forward.

I worry that the Government will take my personal 401k to fund their Social Security 2 scheme to fund US debt going forward. The unknown future financially. Will they take what I save? Should I stop contributing to the 401k and buy hard assets? Hard assets normally do not keep up with inflation so I could really screw ourselves doing that... Why continue to contribute if they are going to take it anyway and have all the little hateful self entitled "next generation" cheering on as though we are some criminals who stole something from them. There has NEVER been a better time in history to self-succeed in the United States. Take advantage of that and make yourself a great life while you can. Hopefully all of this "unknown" government BS will be over by the time you have to make the decisions on what you must do to retire.

I have already come to the conclusion and expectation that I will most probably have to work until I am dead because the fixed income of Social Security will not be enough and I cannot count on my 401k being there anymore.

Getting old sucks... your body just stops working right. You have no idea till it starts happening how it feels. Imagine you have a little hangover in your teens and early 20s, you know how it feels, your tired, exhausted, etc.... welcome to what it is like waking up in the morning sometimes... LOL

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1007532013

Well, I’m busy examining my life (feel pretty good -- have one of those OH birthdays this year) and would appreciate your input:

How do you like it so far?

Are you happy, healthy? Did you find your one true love, your great purpose, a satisfying career, spiritual fulfillment? Did you have enough? Has the ride been good? Do you have worries about the future? Is there more to do?

Thank you.

edit on 27-1-2013 by 1007532013 because: (no reason given)

Life's quite a ride and its a pretty short one at that .
There's always more to do/see/experience and that's why life is too short. .
The future takes care of itself but you have to take care of your own health and happiness.
Most things you really desire will come along at some stage in your life and most will be taken away or threatened if you wish to escape ego and move on to a better place/plane.
Love,purpose,career etc all come and go as you need them.
Baby boomers are perhaps the luckiest generation ever and to be here in the last half of life's journey in this time of awakening is a real privelige
Enjoy the ride.

edit on 27-1-2013 by misterex because: typo

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

I look at it this way. When I wake up in the morning I don't think of it as me that is aching. It's this damn
robotic body that I'm wearing and I'm the boss of it and I tell it to quit grumbling.and get to work.

I know that sounds strange but it works for me...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

When I said 'had it good', I was not implying that you didn't work hard for what you have and I appreciate your concerns about the future. I guess I just envy the simpler times when you get on the property ladder at a young age, job for life and very little of this technology that is tearing communities and families apart.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by misterex

Bravo! Perfectly stated imho. Thanks for your input.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I don't know what to do either. It's a little hard to plan when you don't know if the dollar is going to collapse. Not a very secure feeling is it? I wish you well for what that's worth. I hope that you don't have to work forever. I hope that complete security will find it's way to you. Sending plenty of good thoughts your way.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm a Boomer born in 1949. Although suffering from a knock-out worst cold in 20 years at the moment (can't talk, can't breathe, hurts to sneeze), I'm in generally good health. Am I wealthy? Meh? Depends on who's counting. I am comfortable, and I attribute that to being financially conservative. While my cousins were buying the biggest houses they could, I bought half of what I could have afforded according to the "rules." As a result, mine is paid off and they're wondering what they're going to do. Use that specific as a general rule and you'll probably be fine. My kids didn't. They wanted the finest as soon as they could. Now they're underwater. I can't understand it because I taught them to always underestimate revenue and over estimate expenditures. That's how you get ahead.

However, none of the above is important. Below is what is important,.

You sit there right now, a young person, reading the words of an older guy. Whether you are rolling your eyes or not I don't know, but I do know one thing for certain:

Tomorrow you'll be an old guy like me.

Time flies and life is what happens to you when you are making other plans. You'll get to be my age and say,

"What the hell just happened?"

And your next milestone is your obituary. So don't screw it up. \

Edit: Changed avatar because 100 was intimidated.
edit on 1/27/2013 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I'm so glad you "spoke" schuyler -- you're avatar is really intimidating. Love your dog on the other thread by the way.

You do know I am a boomer too, right? 1953. Unless you were just talking to the younger ones on the thread. The thread is confusing I guess. I agree with everything you said. Sounds like you have done it right.

All is well and I have gone from "jaded" to "grateful" in mood just because of this thread. I just realized I have done okay too. And more to come!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join