It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I must be going daft and blind. How is that I keep missing interesting threads until they show up on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I’m kind of medically laid up right now for the past month and a half and frequent ATS 3-4 times daily. Mostly just to see what is being discussed and possibly join in the conversation.

I peruse the Firehose first and then the recent posts. But lately when I go the ATS site, I’ll see a thread title on the front page that I didn’t see before and upon opening it, see that it is 24 hours or more old. I seriously try to read every thread headline, but it seems that I keep missing some.

How did I miss that one?

I also have to keep going to tools and have to delete any browsing history or the page won’t refresh with new threads. That is a tad bit annoying as it also logs me out. The recent posts seem ok though.

I run full anti-virus scans every other day and nothing shows up. Is it my computer or me? Maybe I should have put this in the computer help section, but I am miffed as well.

Both of us are getting old though.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Sorry to hear you've been laid up, TDawg. Hope you're feeling better and you'll be up and around again real soon.

About your refresh issues. I use firefox and sometimes get issues with the "New Topics" page just loading and loading. However if I just click on the url and then hit enter, it refreshes right away. No need to delete history or anything.

Oh, and are these sorts of issues only here, or are you also having some kinds of loading problems with other sites? (You don't need to name any sites, just wondering if you've had any issues with them.)

EDIT: you're right, this thread probably belongs elsewhere, as Rant is not really for ATS-related stuff. I'll see if we can get it moved for you.

edit on 27/1/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Nope, no issues on other sites that I know of. It seems to be ATS only. That has me baffled.

I'm wondering if somehow my registry is at fault. But of course, I'm a Neanderthal and have little idea on how to fix it.

Maybe I should just hit my computer with a hammer? It's fixed things in the past.

Oh and thanks! I am getting up and about now, albiet slowly but surely.

edit on 27-1-2013 by TDawgRex because: Need more coffee

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I very much doubt it's a registry issue. This seem like a site or browser problem rather than an OS-related problem. So it might be something in browser settings, maybe.

What browser and version are you using?

And good to hear you're doing better.

edit on 27/1/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I should have said this in my OP. I use Firefox, Chrome and IE9. I have had the ATS problem using all three. I find that odd. Some sites load faster browser dependent, but ATS is pretty consistent with this problem.

Can't say that I am favorable of one browser over the other as all work fairly well...except ATS. I never had this problem a year ago.

I think it happened when ATS changed ther Firehose foremat.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The only time I experience this is when I am at sea and Log on to ATS via V-Sat (satellite uplink) - it simply never auto-updates unless I log out and back in again - irrespective of what browser I use. BUT when I am in range and I switch to 'Telstra" broadband using a standard modem it auto-updates as normal.

Have you changed carriers or modems lately?

NB: I have zero IT experience so don't laugh at my post

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft

NB: I have zero IT experience so don't laugh at my post

My IT experiance is limited as well...as in:

What is IT? *pointing at an object in the sky*

IT tastes good! *Crams another forkful in his mouth"

IT had to happen sooner or later.

Who's laughing? Like I said...I'm a Neanderthal when it comes to computing. I just want to be able to fix IT.
edit on 27-1-2013 by TDawgRex because: Screw coffee, I'm going for a beer

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Personally, the "front page" for me is the recent posts page(it's the page I have bookmarked). That is how I usually find threads that sound interesting.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i check my friends posts in the show ribbon
having friended a lot of good writers that helps find good stuff quickly
just a thought
get well soon if not already Tdog

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
TDawg, I meant to ask earlier: what operating system (OS) are you using? Like, Windows XP or 7 (or something else from Windows), or else a Mac-based system? Linux?

I've been assuming its a Windows OS, but knowing for sure might help to sort this out.

BTW, just in case you were not completely kidding, "IT" just means "Information Technology".

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
I’m kind of medically laid up right now for the past month and a half and frequent ATS 3-4 times daily. Mostly just to see what is being discussed and possibly join in the conversation.

I peruse the Firehose first and then the recent posts. But lately when I go the ATS site, I’ll see a thread title on the front page that I didn’t see before and upon opening it, see that it is 24 hours or more old. I seriously try to read every thread headline, but it seems that I keep missing some.

How did I miss that one?

I also have to keep going to tools and have to delete any browsing history or the page won’t refresh with new threads. That is a tad bit annoying as it also logs me out. The recent posts seem ok though.

I run full anti-virus scans every other day and nothing shows up. Is it my computer or me? Maybe I should have put this in the computer help section, but I am miffed as well.

Both of us are getting old though.

I go to 'my topics' then new threads to check when I go on each time or recent threads as well...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I dont know good buddy , all I know is that I don't want to miss a bit of this fantastic feture rich content. I can get my fill of what I like all on one site. And that is ATS! I think it rocks!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I had that problem and figured out that it was because I had accidentally clicked this: (-) on the recent posts page. (it's red and near the thread) if you have clicked that, then that thread and forum is removed from the list. The only way to get it back is to click "show removed forums" at the top.

new topics

top topics

join