It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antigua applies for permission to run 'pirate' website

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Antigua is seeking permission to run a website that sells music, movies and software - but ignores copyright law.

The Caribbean island is due to appear before the World Trade Organization (WTO) on 28 January seeking permission to run the site.

The decision to set up the site is the end point of a long-running dispute with the US over gambling.

Well this seems very interesting and couldn't find anything in a search. It seems when the US banned our citizens from gambling through Antigua-based websites their government filed with the WTO and they agreed.

The WTO agreed with Antigua and dismissed a US appeal against its ruling. However, because the US took no action to lift the controls on cross-border gambling Antigua filed an application to recoup its lost cash by other means.

The worst part of this whole deal is that Antigua claimed losses of $3.4 billion, the WTO decided it would be ok for them to sell up to $21 million annually before paying copyright royalty fees, and the US supposedly offered Antigua $500,000 annually as a way to recoup their losses? Would that mean paying them $500k per year until their gambling losses are recouped or just for a set number of years?

Seems like the US just wants our citizens gambling inside our country instead of sending that money elsewhere. What does ATS think? Any other news stories about this anywhere?

ETA: The US sure likes to throw their weight around when it suits them. The US responded with:

It also warned that if Antigua did go ahead with its plan "it would only serve to postpone the final resolution of this matter, to the detriment of Antigua's own interests".

edit on 1/27/13 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
i dont get it.. if you are going to do something illegal, why are you asking permission to do it, why not just do it?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Found these other sources

Original Story:
torrentfreak.com...

Not very good translation from Google:
translate.google.com... nsite-.html

I agree with you, but I think it's basically Antigua giving the US government the finger because of them blocking their gambling sites and therefore cutting into Antigua's profits.

ETA: And they are doing it legally with maybe the WTO's permission which makes it all the better in my eyes.
edit on 1/27/13 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
i dont get it.. if you are going to do something illegal, why are you asking permission to do it, why not just do it?

Because it won't be illegal if they get permission. The WTO gave them PERMISSION to do it. So they are not doing anything illegal.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
A "real" pirate asks permission for NOTHING!
I smell something....fishy.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
A "real" pirate asks permission for NOTHING!
I smell something....fishy.

Actually not true. Many pirates were state agents and asked permission to raid.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Yes, those were the "privateers" or "corsairs", who had a "Letter of Marque and Reprisal" from some country saying that they could attack ships from enemy countries.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Yes, those were the "privateers" or "corsairs", who had a "Letter of Marque and Reprisal" from some country saying that they could attack ships from enemy countries.

Exactly! I'm from New England, and in the Revolutionary War many of our ships were "pirates".

More than 2,000 privately-owned warships were authorized during the Revolutionary War to sail against the British.

Many of today's prominent New England Old Money families owe their fortunes to the legalized piracy of the American Revolution.

voices.yahoo.com...

The pirates captured over 2,000 ships.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Update:
www.ip-watch.org...

After years of unsuccessful negotiations between nations, the World Trade Organization Dispute Settlement Body today gave Antigua and Barbuda the right to impose sanctions against the United States for blocking online gambling. The US was found in violation of WTO rules in 2007 and has failed to resolve the issue, so the Caribbean nation was given the right to retaliate in an area that is likely to force a US response – lifting US intellectual property rights.

The amount of sanctions requested by Antigua and Barbuda cannot exceed US$21 million annually. The violation was of the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS), but as the small country has little to sanction in that area without doing harm to itself, it was permitted to cross-retaliate under the WTO Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS). The related WTO documents are WT/DS285/25 and WT/DS285/ARB

Well it sounds like Antigua was successful in standing up to the US. I guess it's the US government's move now.

ETA: Antigua released this press release:
www.marketwatch.com...

Getting the authorization from the WTO to suspend intellectual property rights does not require Antigua to ultimately resort to that suspension, and the Government remains hopeful that the United States will use the intervening period to engage the Antiguan Government in more productive discussions. If and when Antigua does take action against American intellectual property holders, it will be done in accordance with international law and under strict supervision and direction of the Antiguan Government.

edit on 1/28/13 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

US warns Antigua and Barbuda over 'piracy site' plan

"Government-authorised piracy would undermine chances for a settlement," said a spokeswoman for the US Trade Representative's office.

"The United States has urged Antigua to consider solutions that would benefit its broader economy. However, Antigua has repeatedly stymied these negotiations with certain unrealistic demands."

However, its high commissioner in London added that the country reserved the right to carry out its threat. "The highest trade body in the world, having reviewed the merits of Antigua and Barbuda's case and its ability to recover from the negative impact of the USA's unilateral and discriminatory actions, has made its ruling," Carl Roberts told the BBC.

Looks like the US government still thinks it's above the law, internal or international. They try to throw their weight around, and then when rebuffed by another country they act surprised and hurt. I wish more countries would tell them where to go.

new topics

top topics

join