It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Pull up your pants" or Face Fines.....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies.The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

Quote by C. S. Lewis

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Damn!!! My plan was to win the powerball, buy a big cargo truck, drive down to the loop (in ST. Louis) and start handing out all of the belts i just bought. It would be my way of giving back to the community, i could then feel better about my new found fortune.

Jus' Sayin'

spez

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Maybe that flu is making you a little cranky, but your posts are making me laugh, and your third post in particular covers smone interesting ground. A a star for you sir

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
They will just find some other way to be rebellious. Well, let them. Hopefully it will be a way that is easier on the eyes. It's damned annoying.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Saggy pants originated in the jailhouse.

Guess who were the ones sporting them? The gays.

- source = old man on bus.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Common Good
Saggy pants originated in the jailhouse.

Guess who were the ones sporting them? The gays.

- source = old man on bus.

I heard the same thing. Oh BTW the old man.......he was wearing a belt......right?

Jus' Sayin'

spez

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by Mamatus
reply to post by jiggerj

No the law should not force them to hide their underwear. That should be up to a community. Wanna dress like a thug? Live in Thugville. But if you want to hang out in nice places with successful people pull the pants up!

Although I have to admit since it seems like communities are unable to regulate the sagging fools. When communities fail it is up to individuals. I contribute by refusing to hire them.

Is it the 'Thug' look these kids are going for? I was told the droopy pants originated in prison. When an inmate is told someone wants to rape him, if he leaves his pants up it means he's not bending over without a fight. If he walks around with his pants drooping it means he will accept what's about to happen to him and become someone's girlfriend.

Lol, it's more likely to be that there are no belts in prison. When you sit in jeans they stretch and hang low, all prison issue jeans become stretched and none fit properly. The thug hype hip hop fashion sense brought it from prison to the streets. Ya know how they act all gangster an all dat.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Wow that would be funny if it wasn't so serious, I mean c'mon telling people how to wear clothes because it annoys and offends some people ?????
What's next, women having their hair uncovered offends someone so........................................
Slippery slope America.

Anyway it would be totally counter productive, the trend comes from young men getting arrested and having their belts and laces confiscated while in custody so people can't self harm or harm others..
Upon release it was a badge of honour to show that you are just out of police custody minus your weapons'
making it illegal could leave the state open to causing someone to break the law by confiscating their belt in custody, and also make it an even more subversive fashion statement as a 'f**k you' to society.

The simple fact that it makes the wearer less mobile and less able to run/defend themselves means that it will die out of it's own accord. In twenty years these guys will look back at photos of themselves with the same embarrasment that is reserved for 'Teddy Boys' (considered to be very subversive in their day) Mods/Rockers, platform shoes, etc.It is a necessary outlet for teenage rebelliousness that if supressed will only manifest in other ways.

Just being considered offensive to some is no basis for legislation. And I'm sure that many who are calling for law to be enacted against clothing still spout platitudes about how much their 'Freedom' means to them but are quite willing to have it eroded as long as it suits their personal short term desires.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
public indecency is a real issue

wanna look like a fool in private ? cool

in public ? get a grip

if there is no consequence, there is no change

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I don't like the saggy style either, but, I am against fines for it. What if someone fined me for wearing a particular t shirt?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
How is this different than females wearing shirts with all of their cleavage showing or teeny tiny bikins or skirts so short their butt cheeks are hanging out the bottom....jail time or fines for that? So asinine.
edit on 27-1-2013 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Honestly I've seen 3rd grade girls dressing more indecently than these pants hanging down.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I don't like the fashion, but i don't see why people should be fined for it.
Not long ago it was hipsters a thongs for Girls and Women, they didn't get fined for showing their cracks and skimpy undies to all and sundry, so why should the Boys get fined for showing their boxers?

What intrigues me about this fashion fad is, how the hell do they stay up?

edit on 27-1-2013 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Yeah, I remember hot pants

We may have had our odd fashion mistake, like the mullet [shudder] but there is just something offensive and downright disgusting at times about someones' pants hanging so low they have to walk like a saddle sore cowboy.
What gets me, is they actually think that looks cool. Most times it's just sad or funny.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I don't agree with the fines. I just publicly laugh at them and usually make comments on how goofy it looks. One of these days, I'm probably going to get shot for it.

I think Beezer does have something there, though. If the older generation all starts doing it, the youngins won't want to do it, cuz it won't be cool anymore.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by WildWorld
How is this different than females wearing shirts with all of their cleavage showing or teeny tiny bikins or skirts so short their butt cheeks are hanging out the bottom....jail time or fines for that? So asinine.
edit on 27-1-2013 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

One way in which it is different is that I find what you describe to be pleasing to the eye

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Anybody remember the seventies?

But this wasn't disgusting or racy...this was style.....

I gotta wonder if any of you complaining about saggy pants
made this fashion statement back then...

ps. I did, but it's hard to get up on your high horse without something
obscene falling out)

edit on 27-1-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by snarky412

I'm from Massachusetts and I don't see this as a black issue at all. It's a teen issue.

As much as I'm personally disgusted by it, I'm more concerned about safety. I can see one of these kids having to move quickly to avoid oncoming cars, losing their pants down to their ankles, and getting hurt.

Should the law be able to force kids to cover their underwear? I don't think so. What would be the difference between exposing underwear above pants, and wearing pants made of the same fabric as the underwear? As long as these kids aren't baring bums, I don't think it could be considered illegal when people go around 90% naked at the beach.

edit on 1/26/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

It is not a teen issue... What kinda music you think these white kids sagging listen to? Rock?

Gs

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I hope they don't bring this in in the UK, it would put half the building trade out of a job overnight. For anyone not understanding what I mean, google 'builders bum'. Heaven knows, the industry is on it's knees already, but perhaps sales of belts and braces would revive the economy.
Regarding whether this should be a matter of law, gimme a break, we will all end up wearing Mao style blue overalls with matching forage caps at this rate.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
When these kids mature, they will look back at this fashion and say, "What the hell was i thinking?"

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join