It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese scientists invent ‘privacy visor’ to fool Google’s facial recognition software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This is a step in the right direction! I have serious issues with Big Brother and Big Sister spying on me. I don't do anything illegal but I still have a right to privacy.

A “privacy visor” that uses infra-red light to interfere with facial recognition technology has been developed in Japan for people worried about being spotted by computers.

Link to story

Now I know this is silly looking and would likely get you "checked out" by an LEO should you go walking by with it on. However this technology is in it's infancy and with some work the glasses may end up looking normal.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Nice! I'd like to pick one of those up along with one of those cloaks that hides you from predator drones.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sad world if this is going to be needed. I suggest not setting up a webcam on your computer or blocking any software in the monitor and only using old pics of yourself online. My pics are from 10 or more years ago, only a few. I'm older and have more health problems and I wouldn't share those no matter what. I really seriously haven't aged a day since 39.

Its ridiculous that google can spy on you.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Never had a webcam on my home PC, My Laptop and my I-Fad are both taped over. I find the invasion of my privacy to be intolerable. last year I got in an accident that was entirely my fault. I went through a left hand turn lane going straight. I was tired and in the midst of trying to get a pet to the vet. I have a ton of insurance on my vehicles as well as a million dollar blanket policy (to cover what insurance does not).

I admitted it was my fault right away. Well despite no injuries the woman still sued the piss out of me, her husband also sued for "loss of conjunctive relationship". They did not get much more than damages but that is not the point. The point is that during the lawsuit they opposition tried to force me to provide 30 days of cell phone records. I flatly refused. I told them they could have the 20 minute prior to the accident and that was all they could have. Why? I have a right to privacy!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
A world where this is even necessary is seriously f---ed.

Seriously, these are the steps I take:

First rule: I don't use Facebook. And as far as I know, no one has any reason to post my photo anywhere.

On laptops, I tape over the camera lens. I also usually use a hardware profile that keeps the camera disabled, unless needed. My desktop webcam I usually keep disabled and turned toward a neutral corner of the room.

I have a T-Mobile prepaid cellphone. It has GPS, but only if you use a carrier that offers it; T-Mobile prepaid doesn't. Also no Internet.

I pay $4.95 a month to ibVPN for a proxy service. I use it about half the time, and use Startpage HTTPS for my search. Not Google, Yahoo, Ask, etc.

And a dozen other precautions that don't come to mind at the moment, but are there when I need to call on them.

I reiterate: A world where this is even necessary is seriously f---ed....

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
In b4 the "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear"-crowd appears

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

It never ceases to amaze me the freedoms people are willing to give up in order to feel safe. Especially when that safety is an illusion. I can't wait for "that crowd" to get what is coming to them. They all think they do nothing wrong but after a short drive on the freeway it is apparent they are hypocrites.

When they talk on their phones and get in an accident I wonder if they will be upset about the freedoms they gave up.
When they have to pay their speeding fines once a year when they register their car (with the shiny black box in it) or even better yet agree to one of Progressive Insurances' Rate reduction prove your a safe driver boxes.....

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Surely they can come up with something more trendy and discreet than that tron device. maybe some cool shades with a arch light or something..
Infrared lights are pretty much invisible...why is that picture showing glowing bulbs?

Its a good idea though..not necessarily for this exact moment in time, but soon enough facial recognition software will be pretty norm in public (ads displayed to you relevant to your CC history or something. That could be annoying..especially if your with friends and a ad comes up to treat gas or something because you once purchased some pepto

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

You do realise that because of Biometrics, it does not matter how old the picture is of you, they can still identify you.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Ive seen how they age people and its not as good a job as they think. But this is more for most people, for I've already had some odd surveillance, even been followed to shopping with a certain kind of expensive car hard to define and can't find a picture, they're big and puffy rounded, in size almost like a combo car/suv, and my friend in Australia said department of defense uses those alot, in front, with police car behind, and then on the way back, its reversed. They're not hiding it too well. That is just my general idea.

For most sharing with family, photos and things, the internet keeps them in touch, and shuts ins, living at home or in care facilities and retirement homes. I don't blame them for having webcams and daily communication with loved ones.

We also can do as we wish to, respect and honor our families and make huge political stinks over everything. Stand up for our rights, phone in, write in by the countless millions. Instead of being passive.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Just get a peaked cap / baseball cap they use for fishing with leds fitted and swap them out for IR leds.

Sorted..

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
In b4 the "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear"-crowd appears

the hypocrisies always say it this way, while it really should be "if you're a kind and honest person, you have nothing to hide from kind and honest people"

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Biometrics is nothing to do with ageing people, it is about measuring ratios in your face that are unique to you and will never change no matter how old you grow. It is about the positioning of your mouth, eyes and nose and exactly the ratio difference between the 3 of them. So it doesn't matter when the photo was taken, they can identify you from it if they so wish.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Now please explain to me why someone would want to walk around town with safety glasses on? It is better to grow a moustache and pretend you are someone else.

Or better yet, use one of these disguises to fool BB.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

edit on 27-1-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: *double post*

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Scientists invent Privacy visor, wow, but then again someone invented a post-it note, just cover you damn webcam when not in use. or better and cheaper just turn your webcam to face the wall.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'v'e said it before and I will say it again.

Infrared diffusion cloaks and facial recog masks are gonna be as important as gas masks.

Mark my hobo erotic words.
edit on 28-1-2013 by Sergiana because: (no reason given)

top topics

join