It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Americans Lazy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Technology is a great thing and it can make many tasks easier. But even with all the advances in technology some tasks are done better and faster by humans. Harvesting food is faster and easier now because of technology but certain crops still require manual labour to harvest. Like fruit tree's. Humans have thought up ideas like shakers to shake the fruit but we still havent come up with a way that is better than sending a human up a ladder to pick it.

I am sure we will think of faster more efficient ways to pick fruit from tree's and asparagus from the ground in the future but until then manual human labour is the best way.

Unemployment is a massive problem in America. I find it odd to read about labour shortages. Why did Asparagus Growers have to leave more than 10% of their crop behind due to labour shortages? Many seem to be saying that there are no longer enough illegal workers from Mexico because they are returning to Mexico. Are American really so lazy that an unemployed American wont pick asparagus for a days pay? Why does America have a farm labour shortage?

I know the stereotype of your typical American is an obese, gluttonous, sloth-like imbecile but Im not so sure we can blame the average American.

The other factor to consider in this so called 'farm-shortage' is that Americans are known for their corrupt culture. It seems quite common for Americans to have illegal immigrants as cleaners, gardeners and all sorts of horrible jobs. Americans even joke about this. I know that in Australia if anyone pays 'cash in hand' it is a serious matter. Paying someone 'cash in hand' avoids tax and it hurts the system for everyone. Could it be that these American farmers that are calling their fellow Americans lazy moochers wont pay the legal minimum wage? I am sure there are plenty of Americans that are willing to pick fruit for minimum wage. I just dont believe that with so many Americans out of work that there is a genuine labour shortage for farm labour. To suggest that Americans are that lazy is absurd.

Many large business owners and corporatists want to see western governments openly support foreign labour. They are obvious.

The media tried to blame the Greek people for what is being done to them. The lazy Greeks. Now we can see the same tactics being used against America. The lazy Americans are so lazy they would rather pick some foodstamps instead of an honest days work picking asparagus.

It seems that corruption is quite normal in American society but to say they are a nation so lazy that they need Mexicans to do all their hard work is absurd. Are Americans really so lazy?
edit on 26-1-2013 by stuntmanbob because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   
That right.... South Park is not your friend.

It laughs at you.

Its not that hard when you step back.

edit- foreign labour = bad.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by stuntmanbob

I know the stereotype of your typical American is an obese, gluttonous, sloth-like imbecile but Im not so sure we can blame the average American.

Tell us what you really think! Honestly...there are many Americans that are in good shape and take care of themselves. They work very hard to support themselves and their loved ones.

I have noticed since I joined ATS that their have been several threads authored by someone in Australia letting us know how awful we all are. I am tired of this.

There are many, many Americans that are talented, inventive and wonderful people!

The reality in society is...in every country you have (the good, the bad, and the ugly); that is just humanity; and Australia is no exception.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Why lay this at the feet of Americans?

We know that America has a high rate of obesity and a lot of people on welfare that shouldnt be but look at some european countries and how they just let their govts walk all over them.

I consider that disgusting laziness as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Originally posted by stuntmanbob

Tell us what you really think! Honestly...there are many Americans that are in good shape and take care of themselves. They work very hard to support themselves and their loved ones.

I have noticed since I joined ATS that their have been several threads authored by someone in Australia letting us know how awful we all are. I am tired of this.

There are many, many Americans that are talented, inventive and wonderful people!

The reality in society is...in every country you have (the good, the bad, and the ugly); that is just humanity; and Australia is no exception.

For sure. I think it came out wrong. The stereotype seems to be part of this narrative that Americans are too lazy and wont do certain jobs.

And I agree. Despite the stereotype, not all Australian men are rugged, manly and good looking.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicks87
Why lay this at the feet of Americans?

We know that America has a high rate of obesity and a lot of people on welfare that shouldnt be but look at some european countries and how they just let their govts walk all over them.

I consider that disgusting laziness as well.

I think its a media talking point to push foreign labour. It seems to me that farmers are used to ripping off desperate Mexicans but now that the pool has dried up they dont want to pay decent wages, so they claim Americans wont do the job.

And I agree. Shows like South Park should not claim that Americans wont do certain jobs. Americans do not consider themselves above certain work. Especially with such high unemployment.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I think part of the problem are farmers who have gotten used to hiring
at a lower wage, illegals tend to work for less than minimum wage,
the problem for your average joe is that if we do this type of thing
there can be tax liability, insurance liability and so on, on the other
hand there are many under the table jobs out there, ive worked a
few myself in my younger years, they do help fill the gap between
legitimate work, they cannot however replace it due to those problems
listed above, you get hurt at work and your just done, you could
even face jail time due to tax evasion after getting out of the
hospital and being unable to work most jobs......

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I don't think all the people are lazy. I'm sure its like everywhere else in the world, most people have jobs and some don't. I also think the united states, make it a lil easier for its citizens to become Lazy with the bread and circus.
Some of the hardest workers are immigrants that just arrive. Those same immigrants, their grandchildren might not have that same work ethic.
edit on 26-1-2013 by Prisoner60863 because: deleted extra word

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Obese gluttonous sloth-like imbeciles... That made me laugh out loud and I needed that. Thanks!

top topics

join