It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

should i sell my AR?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
So you want to price gouge your non-milspec AR, with a litany of proprietary parts, and DPMS machining processes because you can't help but want to jump into a strained market that will buy any junk that makes it to the counter...Nice.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by soulshn
DPMS AR 15 I bought for about $675 six years ago along with about 1000 rounds and eight 30rd mags.

$2250, what do y'all think? Close to $1000 profit. I really like the gun but hard not to take advantage of the market.
Sell the stripped lower, buy an 80% lower, put gun back together, now you have an untraceable AR15 that the guvnment can't take away.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
So you want to price gouge your non-milspec AR, with a litany of proprietary parts, and DPMS machining processes because you can't help but want to jump into a strained market that will buy any junk that makes it to the counter...Nice.

I fail to see how taking advantage of market swings equates to price gouging.

I would not sell it. I have a CMMG AR that I bought a few years ago for $1100, and although I've considered doubling my money and selling, the odds that I'd be able to buy another are slim. Hold on to it.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I've been thinking about taking advantage of this irrational run myself sitting on a few AR's I could part out and sell a lower for more than the rifle is worth or selling off a dozen mags for profit.

But every time I look into the safe I'm reminded of the horrible feeling from years past when in poor financial standing I sold a few firearms and lived with a sickening regret. I later replaced each one sold but it's just not the same.

So now I'm taking advantage of the run by stocking up on surplus rimmed cartridges and picking up bolt and lever guns when I see them.

Lots of people are selling off their perfectly fine bolts and levers in an attempt to afford the AR they kept putting off buying so for anything not "tacti-cool" it's a buyers market.

For now.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

so true, I just picked up a practically new Savage Arms 308 for $200 bucks with a scope and bipod because the guy wanted to buy ammo for his AR.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Have you noticed the same holding true in the handgun market, particularly when it comes to revolvers? I'm a glock man myself, but my better half prefers wheelguns. I'm thinking of trading an older semi-auto I have for a revolver...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It is crazy....even for shotguns (ie SPAS).

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by RidgeWalker

Have you noticed the same holding true in the handgun market, particularly when it comes to revolvers? I'm a glock man myself, but my better half prefers wheelguns. I'm thinking of trading an older semi-auto I have for a revolver...
Revolvers are so under rated because everyone wants the coveted Glock or HK...whatever...
I had a conversation with an old school retired cop from Chicago and he said something that I never forgot concerning autos vs revolvers,
"I've never had to shoot more than 3 shots and I don't have to worry about my revolver jamming"

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I wouldn't sell it.. Keep it, pass it on to your young ones.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RidgeWalker

Actually offering more Supply to the Market is the Answer to High Prices caused by High Demand. Econ 101.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thats a personal decision that only you can make OP.

I made a NICE profit selling a few of my rifles just recently. And I mean NICE profit indeed!! A friend of a friend wanted them and he offered me a price I just couldnt refuse!
edit on 26-1-2013 by ResistTreason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Look at the price of Machine Guns....they were going for up to 10x what the semiauto versions were going for before the spike (less now tho as the spread is narrowing). Machine guns and Destructive Devices have not undergone appreciation during this madness because you already have to register them. Which begs the question: If semi auto assault style guns will require registration at some point in the future then the demand will dramatically drop and the prices along with it (especially if models grandfathered for possession are required to be registered).

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

so true, I just picked up a practically new Savage Arms 308 for $200 bucks with a scope and bipod because the guy wanted to buy ammo for his AR.

Oh geeze... I've got a few hundred rounds of normal .223 with another 100 frangible and 100 bullets (reloading type bullet, not cartridge) of tracer. Perhaps I need to see what the ammo market will bear for a price?? I've been focused on the firearm prices and not so much looking at ammo and accessory prices. Thats crazy!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Personally I'm waiting for the day when the libs do ban AR style rifles, complete uppers will be at give away prices because they are not FFL and they won't be able to give them away, this is when all those peeps that have complete lowers will shine...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Oh geeze... I've got a few hundred rounds of normal .223 with another 100 frangible and 100 bullets (reloading type bullet, not cartridge) of tracer. Perhaps I need to see what the ammo market will bear for a price?? I've been focused on the firearm prices and not so much looking at ammo and accessory prices. Thats crazy!!!

I'm seeing Prvi and Federal bulk going for $1.00 per on Armslist locally.

Almost cheaper to get some .308's while everybody else is rushing for the 5.56.
edit on 26-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Unless you need the money no, its not worth it to sell it now and probably never be able to get one again (at a reasonable price anyway). I had contemplated selling my M1A (1700$ brand new, easily double that now) but then I realized the chance to own one might be fast evaporating. I would however suggest maybe finding a carbine conversion set for it because right now its cheaper to shoot large-caliber ammo than 5.56, price per round has surged an absurd amount in the past two months

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by RidgeWalker

What Thunderheart says about revolvers being underrated has been true for a very long time.

Attempts to sell massive amounts of revolvers not of the pocket .38 variety have pretty much failed over the years leaving the revolver market mostly specialized.

Because of this prices remain pretty flat. A cheapo piece last month is still a cheapo today and a pricey item last month is still pricey today.

But dont overlook the chance of seeing a desperation sale from time to time. Though storefront prices arent moving much on the private end a lot of folks are desperate for money to pick up something on the ban list.

Just three days ago a never fired Colt Anaconda popped up for $900 locally, at least $600 less than what many would pay, and was sold in a couple of hours.

I wanted it myself but by the time I freed up the funds it was gone.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Do not sell.....!
Unless of course you are starving or homeless...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
depending on the stae you live in9assuming youre from the u.s.) i would sell it now since people are going crazy buyin rifles and ammo, and also before "they" come and take it, since your magazines and rifle will more than likley be banned in due time. that way you can make a quick profit and avoid having to sell it for a 75$ giftcard. as thats what most firearm exchanges offer as a compensation for the pistls/revolvers/and rifles. it is really sad. if it isnt registered, then if i were you i would hang on to it, since tptb dont know you have it. although they do now since you have put that info out on the internet. i guess do whatever "floats your bota" as they say

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by soulshn

no! dont sell! what if there is going to be a zombapocalypse! you would miss it when you are wielding your xbox controller against the zombie horde.. no but serious.. there is a chance that you cant buy another one if you wanted..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join