It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have lost tolerance for new immigrants(Taking our Jobs)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Im in the US and the SAME thing is and has been happening here.

I applied at various jobs that I was qualified for only to be looked over for some Spanish speaking person with ZERO experience! I worked in retail for a decade, management and sales. I have over 10yrs of customer service experience but that wasn't enough. Companies here have to fill a minority quota whether they admit it or not. English is second here as well and it frustrates the hell out of me. If you come here learn OUR language and maybe I'll think of learning yours.

What irks me is when I go shopping and the employees are trash talking you in Spanish. How do I know this? I have plenty of Spanish speaking friends who I have been with when this has happened and it was nice to see the look on the sales persons face when confronted. If you can't speak English infront of me i dont want to buy ANYTHING from you. It is rude! If went to France (where i want to live) I would be sure to know French before i went! I would NEVER expect them to speak English when I am in THEIR country, it's rude and disrespectful.

I am all for people coming into this country for opportunity but it seems that those born here are tossed over for immigrants because everyone wants you to feel sorry for them. Well HELLO I was born here, what about my damn rights?!?! What about my opportunities?

I applied for a job with ATT which I was highly qualified for yet they hired a Spanish girl who barely spoke English and had NO experience in sales. Why? Because the manager felt bad she didn't have work and had kids. Well NOT my damn fault! How do I know this? The lady who got me the interview told me why she was hired and she even quit shortly after because of their hiring practices.

There use to be a time where qualifications got you a job now not so much. I have applied at all the fast food places and even Wal Mart more than once and have NEVER even been given an interview or phone call. I am qualified to work there for heavens sake. Heck the people they have working there are lazy and don't want to do any work. I know not all places are like this but in my area it is 95% truth!

I haven't been able to find regular work in over a year and it is very frustrating and depressing when you can't even get a job at friggin McDonalds.
So I feel your pain! I get really annoyed when people say I'm racist because of this but it's FACT and heaven for bid you mention it. It's like people want to ignore it and then it isn't happening. I've worked since i was 15 and it was NEVER like this, ever. I even applied at places I've worked at before as seasonal help and was looked over for some minority who barely spoke English. I'm sorry but when I shop I want someone who can COMMUNICATE in MY language. IMO this is why customer service sucks, lack of the language and lack of understanding the product due to lack of understanding the language!

Ok sorry for my mini rant in your rant but I soooo understand what you are saying!

Now I don't have anything against immigrants getting jobs here but my goodness be qualified!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I have completely and utterly, lost all patience and tolerance for new immigrants coming into my country (Canada) and taking away employment opportunity for people who were born here.

I'm sure the indians there felt the same way.
2nd

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

You are europeans..

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
And, OP, I didn't mean to attack you, but to open your eyes to the fact that everyone is an immigrant. Even my tribe migrated to this land of America, although native Americans were here a hell of a lot longer than anyone else with all of our languages. 500 + nations. I don't believe we really own the land, we merely inhabit earth until we are dead. Everyone has a right to seek greener pastures. It's just life. I can't help but shake my head a little and laugh when I hear people in my country gripe about immigrants. This would be like me getting all worked up when I see white folks come and live on my rez. I don't. I welcome them and hope they do well.

edit on 26-1-2013 by Thunder heart woman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Sorry couldn't resist.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Staroth

Lol, I love that episode but that was already posted.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
I have completely and utterly, lost all patience and tolerance for new immigrants coming into my country (Canada) and taking away employment opportunity for people who were born here.
Let me be clear ,..Iam not racist. I embrace all cultures and beliefs. This is not about that. This is plain and simply about not enough jobs already, and our government is stupidly filling them with immigrants.
If you can't find employment you have no choice but to go on welfare, but omg, that makes you a third rate citizen.
While in one of my favorite shopping haunts today the cashier was conversing to another regular customer.
It seems, the customers daughter,who was a college graduate, applied for a job she had both education and experience for...but was passed over for a new immigrant. Now, that might in itself seem isolated..but it's not. Where I live, you go to any restaurant, fast food, coffee shop etc...and English is the second language. This town is overflowing with young people who should be flipping burgers but cannot get any work experience. Employers claim that the immigrants are harder workers,more reliable, etc. How do you know if you won't even give a local an interview? I know it's not just my town, or my province. I just can't freakin understand it. Government complains how much it has to dish out for social services, well damn ...stop inviting people into the country that take away our jobs. THERE ISN'T ENOUGH TO GO AROUND.
And icing on the cake I read this stupidity today...

Canada announces new startup visa program to attract entrepreneurs starting on April 1

thenextweb.com...

The program is the first of its kind in Canada and is being pitched as “a powerful incentive to attract individuals with great potential.” By giving immigrant entrepreneurs permanent residency and immediate access to a wide range of business partners, Canada hopes to position itself as a destination of choice for startups.

Now, at first this may seem a good idea...NOT. It doesn't mean more jobs for those born and bred here. They will hire from within their own culture...and who could blame them? I would!

It's sickening that we cannot survive in our own country.
/Rant off
edit on 25-1-2013 by AccessDenied because: title clarification

Another wakes up. Welcome to enlightenment brother.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
And, OP, I didn't mean to attack you, but to open your eyes to the fact that everyone is an immigrant. Even my tribe migrated to this land of America, although native Americans were here a hell of a lot longer than anyone else with all of our languages. 500 + nations. I don't believe we really own the land, we merely inhabit earth until we are dead. Everyone has a right to seek greener pastures. It's just life. I can't help but shake my head a little and laugh when I hear people in my country gripe about immigrants. This would be like me getting all worked up when I see white folks come and live on my rez. I don't. I welcome them and hope they do well.

edit on 26-1-2013 by Thunder heart woman because: (no reason given)

Open your eyes to the fact that not every immigrant is a positive influence and a generation who have already paid tax for 20 years deserve more than some scrub who turned up yesterday, that's just about being fair.

You wouldn't dream of telling a black guy from Africa that black people don't own Africa, they just inhabit it.... Grow up and wake up.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I believe all humans, no matter where they were born(which isn't something in anyone's control) have the right to seek a better life for themselves, wherever that may be.

Yes, sometimes that takes jobs away from citizens of the countries to move too, but immigration also has a habit of highlighting the incompetence of various governments. When there's not enough jobs for citizens, which is a problem in the US as well as Canada, and many other countries by the way, it's usually poor decision making practices by the government(s) which contributed greatly to the problem.

I just hate the idea that because someone happened to be born in Mexico, Guatemala, Romania, Kenya, among many other countries, that they don't have the right as humans on our planet to seek a better life for themselves. Sure they can go through immigration procedures for different countries but those by in large are faulty, broken systems in the first place, and shouldn't dictate where us humans can live, reside or earn a living on our planet.

Immigration in the first place in built upon the thought process that a country says this is ours, you can't enter and we have a greater right to this part of our planet than you do, even though we all share this planet and have no control over where or when we are born.
edit on 25-1-2013 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

That is an unbelieveable, naive and frankly stupid view on immigration.
To take your vision to the extreme, removing all barriers, to people freely moving wherever they wish because they feel that they are entitled to a "better life" ( please define by degree what is a better life) they should be able to roll into any country of their choosing, get a job ( although in the UK, a good proportion arrive with no intention of working )and immediately start living the high life.
What about the strain on Health Care, Education, Housing? How about social intergration?Do you seriously think that swathes of immigrants from countries poorer than those in the West would not head for us en masse if they were allowed to just arrive at an Airport?!?!
Ever thought that, perhaps, if some of them really really tried, they could make their lives more comfortable where they are?
Do they want better lives because of Poverty? Hunger? Poor Social Housing? All three?
Would it not be prudent for governments to put massive pressure on tin pot regimes to ensure that their citizens had a better life?
Free for alls dont work, wont work and are dangerous to the economies that mass migration heads for.
We have borders and quotas for good reasons.
How do you justify immigrants being gainfully employed in Countries that have unemployment? Crazy!!
Mystic Pearl, id suggest, respectfully, that your views belong in 1967 with Afghan coats and The Kinks.
Not in 2013.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
"Der takin' our derbs!!!"

...You knew it was coming. Anyway, most immigrants have more rights than the average full-blooded American.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I hate to say it but stop your complaining. Canada is the best country in the world and we are the most ethnically diverse. No one is stopping you from starting your own business and the government has many entrepreneurial opportunities such as grants.
www.canadabusiness.ca...

You also fail to recognize that most immigrants ARE harder workers hands down. Simply because they come from countries where they have no other choice but to work hard and long or die. No welfare systems, no overtime, no benefits, no company insurance or pensions.

So what do you expect immigrant workers to do? Sell drugs? Canada only issues 50,000 work visas every year, to get accepted is like winning the lottery. But to get accepted in the entrepreneurial program, they must prove to be qualified and they must have cashola. You know what else? Many of those so-called-job-steeling immigrants driving taxis or cleaning the # off the sidewalk are doctors.

But hey! forget allowing them to be exempted or at least re-write the Canadian version of the medical exam so they can open their own practice and drive down the cost of health insurance and Canadian health care where a Dr. makes over a $100 for writing a prescription. Your and my tax dollars btw.

ETA: Also, don't forget Canada's population is only 34 million, 10% of that of the united states with the same km2 land mass. We don't need less people taking jobs, we need more businesses! I say bring it.

Here are some statistics I don't think you even bothered to consider:

According to Statistics Canada's Survey of Employment, Payrolls and Hours (SEPH), on average in 2007, just over 5.1 million employees on payroll, or 48 percent of the total private sector labour force, worked for small enterprises (those with fewer than 100 employees). More than 1.7 million, or 16 percent, worked for medium-sized enterprises (those with 100 to 499 employees). In total, therefore, SMEs employed just over 6.8 million, or 64 percent, of private sector employees covered by SEPH.

Small businesses account for over two thirds of employment in five industries: the (non-institutional) health care sector (89 percent), the construction industry (76 percent), other services (73 percent), accommodation and food (67 percent), and forestry (67 percent). In three other industries, at least half of the workforce is employed by small businesses.

Source
edit on 26-1-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Maybe you should be mad at the people who ARE leaching your countries economy instead of the poor sods trying for a new and better life. The economic damage caused by "immigrants" is a best questionable. Look to your stock exchange for the real problem behind job loss.

It's not immigrants who lay off/shut down viable buisinesses because there's more profit in outsourcing to China.
edit on 26-1-2013 by Ismail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Well when the first white guy comes to my farm and asks for a job, my mind will be changed. Please don't complain, we have to many fat people that complain at desk jobs, let alone a little physical work. No wonder agriculture is going down the drain... I embrace the immigrants, they work harder than anyone I've known, including me.
edit on 26-1-2013 by ZetaExplorer15 because: words

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZetaExplorer15
Well when the first white guy comes to my farm and asks for a job, my mind will be changed. Please don't complain, we have to many fat people that complain at desk jobs, let alone a little physical work. No wonder agriculture is going down the drain... I embrace the immigrants, they work harder than anyone I've known, including me.
edit on 26-1-2013 by ZetaExplorer15 because: words

Of course they will work harder on your farm, If they dont, you get rid and another eager immigrant will be waiting to step in. They also work for less money, you get less issues with them ( Worker rights? what are they?) and it means better profits for you.
Many are employed via Gang Masters who have them work excessive hours for crap money and, many a time, rubbish accomodation will be thrown into the deal which, naturally, the immigrant has to pay for. No wonder they work hard, no job, no home!!
Am I generalising here?
It MAY be said that the average farmer adores having immigrants working for them because they can exploit the sh*t outta them, right?
Im sure you wouldnt dream of doing that though.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Your obviously pationate about your beliefs and on the whole I not only agree with your thoughts but share your views completely.
I'll say this, its the same the world over and lax, lame government decisions and laws further compound these issues.
What has helped me, and might help you is to change your view. Since you will not change your governments views.
"Canada isn't yours, its not your country.....you just happen to live there. Your tenants, and have a short term lease there, therefore your rights to it are no more than anyone elses as the planet itself is just a place humans lease for a short while".

By the way, you live in a beautiful country....best in the world in my opinion.

edit on 26-1-2013 by tigercat1971 because: no reason

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
DEY DERP UR JUBB

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
its a complex situation. We have an aging population in N.America. Compound that with a low birth rate (among citizens) and eventually you will have too few people to fill the jobs. This is already happening in Japan. Also education, at least in the United States, is so expensive few people can afford it. So we are facing a shortage of engineers and scientists, not to mention doctors. So what are our choices? We can increase our birth rate (unlikely), and make college free (very unlikely). Or we can import educated workers to fill the positions. The problem is not really immigration per se, its the KIND of people that are coming. Little or no education and large families. That is a recipe for disaster.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It's a big effing joke on all fronts. I live in one of the original illegal/immigrant cities, and they've got it down to a science out here. For a few months it's one group, then another gets bussed in, then a complete different group, rinse and repeat. Cheaper wages, great tax incentives, and NO medical or dental.

And boy oh boy, the crime...er..culture they brought with them is just an added bonus! My community was soo drab and boring till the shootings, robberies, and beautiful graffiti came. Thanks globalism!

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I believe all humans, no matter where they were born(which isn't something in anyone's control) have the right to seek a better life for themselves, wherever that may be.

Yes, sometimes that takes jobs away from citizens of the countries to move too, but immigration also has a habit of highlighting the incompetence of various governments. When there's not enough jobs for citizens, which is a problem in the US as well as Canada, and many other countries by the way, it's usually poor decision making practices by the government(s) which contributed greatly to the problem.

I just hate the idea that because someone happened to be born in Mexico, Guatemala, Romania, Kenya, among many other countries, that they don't have the right as humans on our planet to seek a better life for themselves. Sure they can go through immigration procedures for different countries but those by in large are faulty, broken systems in the first place, and shouldn't dictate where us humans can live, reside or earn a living on our planet.

Immigration in the first place in built upon the thought process that a country says this is ours, you can't enter and we have a greater right to this part of our planet than you do, even though we all share this planet and have no control over where or when we are born.
edit on 25-1-2013 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)
Ok, I see how it works. Let’s go ahead and invade another country and use up all their resources because you’re too lazy to stand up as a people in your own country and make a difference.

Mexico has all the resources available to become a sustainable, productive, prosperous society. They need to stand up to their Government and make change, instead of going to some other country where change is made to cater them.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
They need to stand up to their Government and make change, instead of going to some other country where change is made to cater them.

But their government isn't really the problem, it's their economy.

They have a capitalist economy, and the capitalists owners are an extremely small minority, almost just one family. They pay workers very little, and take all the wealth for themselves.

If the workers owned the means of production they wouldn't need to migrate.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join