It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Brief Message for the Public From a CIA Agent

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

The problem is not what is on TV...the problem is how people have come to blame an inanimate object and what they see coming out of it for all the ills of the world instead of taking responsibility for their own actions or inactions.

Sure...I can see how a bunch of kids who have little guidance by either parents or teachers and without anyone to show them the paths that they may choose to walk and what paths are dangerous or not...will seek out data and information in any form to fill that vacumm.

The fault here is not the TV or the Kids...it is the ADULTS who are not giving these young sponges what they so desparately need.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I have never been a follower and even as a kid I would refuse to go along with the group just because they were all doing something. I also was the cause for most of my teachers to keep a bottle of antacid in their desks because if they made a mistake and I knew they did...I would call them out on it and refuse to let them fluff it off.

This was mainly because I came from two very smart parents who never coddled me and made sure I learned to be self sufficient at a very early age. Add to this my Dad being Military and my Mom being..."CIVILIAN" in the way the qotes denote.

The thing is they made sure I always had to figure things out for myself and only after I could not...which was not often...would they step in and explain things to me.

Kids today are so ignored by their parents and teachers it's pathetic. the moment a kid cries a whole army of speciaists decend upon them as to make sure they will be not scared and traumatised for life over being picked last when teams choose players out of a group for a game of baseball....I also just found out that some Church Baseball Teams as well as School Teams no longer have OUTS as no one is called out and everyone stays at the plate till they get a hit! Unbelievable!

When a kid that has been treated as such gets older and finds out LIFE is not fair...they tend to have issues.

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by theAnswer1111

you can always tell who's a tv zombie,

they're always chasing your brains..

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Its got to the point where I cannot be in a room where people are watching TV. Take the TV out and leave the emotions and you have a room full of retards lol. But in saying that, the sae could be said for a computer. Some people stare at a computer screen more than a TV screen.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by smyleegrl

Yup, going on three years without a TV. If there are subliminal messages in the commercials, I must have an aversion to them. One day I watched a poker program on the Travel Channel that had 16 minutes of commercials in about 25 minutes. I stood up and said to myself, "That's it!" I shut off the TV and haven't watched it since.

yeah that or the channel logos creeping steadily to the center of the screen. they advertise upcoming shows right in the middle of what you're watching, it's pathetic.

i watch only recorded shows now and then only nature, alien or shows like "how it's made" "modern marvels" type of things.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
not to derail this, but how its made is a great show. and i dont see any propaganda there, however i see alot in mtv's programming (teen mom/jersey shore) they literally glorify being stupid,or having illegitmate kids, by making these people who do so famous. i swear they are trying to dumb everyone down thats young and accepting to these trends. its horrible and other msm sources of news

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
My tv is only hooked up to a gaming device which has been seeing less and less use as time goes on recently. There is TONS of crap being spewed at us even on the dashboards of our consoles though, I cant stand the xbox menu.
commercials make me sick.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

commercials make me sick.

I regard commercials as --torture-- !

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
In 1990, Nevada Court Justice Jerry C. Whitehead ruled in "Vance vs. Judas Priest" that the First Amendment protections of freedom of speech don’t extend as far as subliminal messages. Upheld by later courts and the U.S. Supreme Court, this legal precedent established that subliminal messages are aimed not at the person’s conscious mind but rather, seek to coerce individuals by speaking to the subconscious brain without the permission of the person subjected to the subliminal messages. Subliminal communication is therefore not protected and may be prohibited or restricted. Because the subconscious mind is the target, the precedent declares that neither the First Amendment’s protection of speech or the press applies.

National Association of Broadcasters

The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) established the Code of Practices for Television Broadcasters in 1951. Broadcasters who complied were allowed to display the Seal of Good Practice to show that they subscribed to the code. In 1958, the code declared that broadcasting “any technique whereby an attempt is made to convey information to the viewer by transmitting messages below the threshold of awareness” was prohibited. Although the code was rescinded in 1983 under pressure from broadcasters, the NAB still calls subliminal advertising “impermissible” by its members, though little is being done formally to curb the use of subliminal advertising.

I spent a small fortune to quit smoking by the use of hypnotism. I could not be hypnotized. I wonder how many people are being subjected to this misuse of subliminal messaging. It will effect some people but not all.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by smyleegrl

Yup, going on three years without a TV. If there are subliminal messages in the commercials, I must have an aversion to them. One day I watched a poker program on the Travel Channel that had 16 minutes of commercials in about 25 minutes. I stood up and said to myself, "That's it!" I shut off the TV and haven't watched it since.

Exactly, all those docu channels are a PITA when it comes to the commercials. As for the video, it is highly presumptuous as to how we all view, (as in perceive) TV. What's propaganda, or attempts at mind control? if we know what they are, we ignore it, you don't need to believe every goddam word that comes out of the box in the corner, or the radio for that matter. On the other hand you can believe it if it is in your comfort zone, I don't think too many people are like that nowadays, too much crap under the bridge.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dirtybird

Yes, fact based and informative programming are an exception. Also, there are some good comedies and movies out there to watch. Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory is thought provoking and entertaining.

A few years ago I was watching an episode of The Simpsons that included a blatant backwards message saying "join the Navy". I was freaked out the next day when I received a little postcard from the Navy inquiring if I wanted to join. True story.

edit on 1/26/2013 by theAnswer1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I authored this thread a while back..

got some pretty good responses too..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Bravo Captain Chaos, you beat me to it, or I'd of brought that link from Mr. Zappa. I havn't owned a tv since 2006, and life's great, no garbage floating around in my mind. There's ample places to find news thats honest.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

jimmiec you hit it, the key word here is hypnotism, the start and stages of hypnotism are all present in this process. although most people are relaxing and prepped for hypnosis while watching (some are doing tasks), your mind is in "download" either way. Your brain receptors are receving the controlling signals, willing or not. after enough of this conditioning is set in play, you are being level hypnotized, little by little. Visual and audio stimulation works together or seperate, but is effective, and the reciever is completely unaware. This simple process is a psycology tool used by shrinks and it works really well on the relaxed mind. The first stage of level hypnosis is already completed by the tv watcher, then the conditioning begins...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
[removed]
edit on 1/26/2013 by Nicorette because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by theAnswer1111
reply to post by Di0nysis

First he mentions not to watch television because it's the "greatest scientific indoctrination tool ever devised". Going on to ask the listener why Britain has made sure that everyone has a television and explaining that it surely was not for entertainment alone. Also something about China having a program to make sure that every house has a TV.

Basically, the MSM and most Hollywood movies are the biggest tools of TPTB - and that gangs and fraternities run everything.

True story.

edit on 1/25/2013 by theAnswer1111 because: (no reason given)

Considering all that has happened in this country in the past 50 years.....

Doesn't that kind of makes sense in explaining some of the crazy "this doesn't make sense" crap that is going on?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
I agree. I haven't had a TV in my apartment since 2000. It's a moron-making device. What's really neat is that I personally know six other people who don't have a TV, so I would think many people are getting rid of this great scientific achievement which has been usurped by a governmental, corporate, and institutional propaganda agenda.

Have a few of them.....although I find myself watching less and less programs as the years go by.

I'll always Watch South Park....that is my favorite show ever. It's so much smarter than people realize.

Anyways, yea I can't watch " normal" stuff....the reality shows and dancing with people and singing wannabees or whatever.

I'll watch History channel....not the dumb one, but the History + where they actually moved all the historical information programs over to.

Other than that it's maybe just re-runs of Batman the Animated series or Stargate or something.

I really miss the quality shows of the 90's......yea the propaganda was there...but the quality was a step up as well.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by frugal
I took a class on the theory of television in college during the late 1980s. Have you ever noticed TV is aimed at men mostly? and that there are not many educational or documentary shows?

Television stabilizes society. If you are watching TV you are not robbing banks, raping women and children, driving drunk, starting a war, vandalizing property, killing someone, creating a riot, or particpating any many other crimes against society. TV passifies and babysits the public at large. TV keeps people out of trouble and off the streets. [/quote

No stars for you, frugal, you haven't fired the debate by adding more emotion to it. Never mind I'll give you one for telling it how it is.

The mainstream are happy to be entertained in their own homes, they know they are probably being taken advantage of, but they also know everything has more than one price attached to it. You could argue that the mainstream have gotten too comfortable in front of their home entertainment centers and they should get out more and some do make the effort to attend sanctioned activities - the gym, the Mall, sport participation and so on. The food they eat is compatible with the emotional food their televisions provide which brings that aurora of balance into their lives which is why they get a kick out of saying things like, 'its all good' to each other.

What would the mainstream get by without? I think you made your point, frugal. What indeed. Far better for
the rest of us - the not mainstream - that they find comfort in front of their entertainment centers.
edit on 26-1-2013 by Shema because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2013 by Shema because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam

Originally posted by Di0nysis
Can you summarise the message for those of us unable to watch the video please?

More or less:

TV = Brainwashing.

Why do you think they call it programming?

Worst (aka "best") propaganda indoctrination social manipulation tool ever, and is dangerous for this reason.

Or it is called programming because of its roots in theatre. You get a program; which is a series of events scheduled to happen. I mean take your pick. One makes sense and the other pushes an agenda no worse than the crap coming out of the news. Don't be the source of a problem. Be a solution.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Thanks to the OP for posting the video.

I never watch TV because I haven't had one for years, but I completely agree with what the CIA guy had to say. Not long ago, staying with a friend I was exposed to chronic all day television use.

I think the main danger with television is that it subverts the ability of people to empathize with others. It hijacks empathy and directs people to empathize and resonate emotionally with TV personalities who represent the views of those who want the status quo to continue.

The attitudes of TV personalities to controversial subjects or political disputes are usually disapproving of any position that is at variance from the position of the government of the country.

People empathize with advertisements and with sitcom characters, with cartoon characters with self help gurus, etc., on TV.

Almost all programming is directed to eliciting an empathetic response from the viewer, so that when it comes time for the news presenter to give people the facts of life in baby talk with a very soothing bedside manner (the BBC news in the UK, home of George Orwell, is especially offensive in this) the trusting empathetic public, who have been moved into a highly receptive, empathetic mood by all the other programming, take the highly biased news summary as the reassuring truth and then go to bed, emotionally satisfied.

A huge amount of TV programming is an attempt to elicit empathy. TV is almost all about feeling.

Most TV presenters regard critical thinking as an outrageous affront to human dignity (human dignity defined as feeling like an animal) and the core values (feeling good) of society.

This is a central feature of fascist societies or of societies on the road to totalitarian dictatorships; the abandonment of critical thinking in favor of "feeling good".
edit on 26-1-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join