It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expert warning: Resistance to antibiotics to be apocalyptic

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

They didn't have compulsory vaccinations for a start muzz.

Or processed foods, artificial this and that in their food or GMO.

They did have wars though, and natural disasters.

But seriously, i've often wondered the same thing as you. How did ancient peoples live such long and healthy lives?

Ancient knowledge of botany?

Who knows...but it's interesting.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It's funny that we all enjoy a relatively long life-span now only at the sufferage of antibiotics. I wonder what our life-spans would be without them.

As much as Big Pharma get's beaten up around here, it's the pharmaceutical companies that develop antibiotics.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
It's funny that we all enjoy a relatively long life-span now only at the sufferage of antibiotics. I wonder what our life-spans would be without them.

As much as Big Pharma get's beaten up around here, it's the pharmaceutical companies that develop antibiotics.

Vouch.

I actually find the anti-medicine sentiment in the conspiracy world and increasingly in the mainstream quite disturbing. Yes modern medicine isn't perfect and it's disturbing how much it is tied to corporate greed. But we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater and go back 200 years to quack remedies.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Expert warning: Resistance to antibiotics to be apocalyptic

medicalxpress.com

Professor Dame Sally Davies spoke to British members of parliament on a science and technology committee and told them the increasing resistance of bacteria could soon make even a routine operation a deadly option because of the possibility of an infection that would have no effective treatment. She said that the real "apocalyptic scenario" was that within a couple of decades people will die from infections because we will have "run out of antibiotics" and there are no wonder drugs in the pipel
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
DARPA calls for antibiotic replacement
Ummm...Whatever happened to the bacteriophage discussion...I thought that bacteriophages would replace antibiotics. I guess I should research it some more and see how that turned out.

YouSir

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Without even touching on DARPA's intentions,because that could go anywhere...I blame ignorance and bad doctors. Antibiotics should be more heavily regulated medication than pain killers. If I don't take pain killers, they don't affect me. But all the ignorant people who demand antibiotics every time they're sick (which is rarely from a bacterial infection), the doctors who prescribe antibiotics unnecessarily, and the grossly-inefficient for-profit health insurance system which demands doctors prescribe as much as possible while testing/diagnosing as little as possible, are harming me, and my future generations with every dose. We all probably have a friend or family member who vets antibiotics every time they're sick, which typically does nothing because they're sick from viruses. Those are the people who take it a step further typically and don't finish their prescription, "saving some for next time."
Honestly, it should be criminal to do so, and it should be criminal to prescribe antibiotics without testing for bacterial infection. I'd say it makes me sick, but I don't want someone prescribing me antibiotics to treat my mental anguish over this.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Three weeks ago I had surgery on my back, fairly serious procedure.
In pre op I got the usual IV saline to combat De-hydration due to not eating or drinking the night before.
Then the last room they move you into before they hack and slash at you, they hook up a mini bag IV that is antibiotics.
I asked what it was and was told what it was and it was to prevent infection.

I sure am glad they did that little bag because I ended up with a pretty big zipper on my back and infection was a concern.

Just my two cents but I mean every word of it.
If infection set in I could have died, at the least they would have gone back in to clean things up and I would not be happy with that game plan.

Regardless great thread and I am enjoying the Pro and Cons of the whole issue.
S&F
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
If they would quit spraying those antimicrobials on our food that are similar to antibiotics we wouldn't have to worry so much. The fear of someone not buying their food because it is wilted is causing a lot of problems.

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Oddly enough, they still work for me and my kids when we require them. And not the stronger expensive kinds. I can't stand those kind. The only kind I like that works well all the time is the amoxillin, so the lower grade kind still works just fine. Plus huge doses of vit D.

Maybe they aren't working and you just don't know it. I can't speak for all antibiolitcs, but I know that some of them just weaken the bacteria so your body can defeat them easier. Even if they don't work, your body can defeat a lot of the bacteria on its own, but it just takes longer.

Like butcherguy said, I'm not sure I see this as apocalyptic. Sure, plenty of people used to die from things that we might consider "simple" now, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Something that isn't mentioned... why cant they just "upgrade" the antibiotics?

I'm not a researcher, but I can take a stab at this. Sometimes they find a substance that screws with particular type of bacteria. Lets use food allergies as an example. Suppose we're bacteria and the world is a person that we're harming. To help get rid of us the doctor injects peanuts into the world. If all of us are allergic to peanuts (the antibiotic), then we all die and the world is cured. Now, as with bacteria and antibiotics suppose we're all not allergic but most of us are. When the antibiotic is injected a lot of us die. Usually, the world (body) is strong enough to kill off those of us that are left but sometimes it's not. This is how we get antibiotic resistant bacteria introduced into the wild. We've selected (evolution) for the people (bacteria) that aren't allergic to peanuts (antibiotics). Now... How do we upgrade this antibiotic? Do we have a super peanut or do we have to find a whole other substance that the people (bacteria) are allergic to?

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Colloidal silver will always work and does not create antibiotic resistant bacteria. It's a crime that these doctors push all the terrible drugs on you that they do. My wife has suffered permanant damage from the antibiotic resistant bacteria she had a couple yrs ago, and one round of Colloidal silver stopped it cold and in 24 hrs there was a huge improvement. Everyone should know how to treat themselves if they come up with one of these resistant bacterias. Colloidal silver can be a Godsend when it comes to MRSA and other resistant things.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well this should help calm everyone down:

Novel Anti-Biotic Family

No drug resistance happening on this front. At least not until bacteria evolve a whole new cell membrane (see: unlikely).

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Bacteriophages: an alternative to current antibiotics - not a new discovery by any means but something that perhaps should get a bit more attention and funding.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Nice one Umbra.

That's the stuff i was thinking about, shows a lot of promise.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Nice one Umbra.

That's the stuff i was thinking about, shows a lot of promise.

I was hoping to post a Google Documentary about Bacteriophage that I saw about two years ago - but alas, it seems to have been removed ( I miss Google Documentary). It was from the 1990`s and based in some former Soviet block country. If I recall, in the documentary they had quite a variety of these bio-terrorists, stored in vials and stuffed into old fridges in a fairly run down medical centre. Their greatest worry was keeping the bills paid and the power on for the fridges.
edit on 27-1-2013 by UmbraSumus because: there/their

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by framedragged

If they could get their damn finances in order...

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Tajlakz

Seriously. I looked at their stock price today, and it was kind of abysmal.

Come on darpa funding!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

This fact is a real problem over the whole world. The use must be very careful.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Instead of working to develop new antibiotics, DARPA proposes the development and use of so-called nanoparticles to deliver gene altering chemicals directly to the cells of bacteria to kill them

Problem, reaction, solution.

As soon as I read the thread title, I was wondering how they were planning to "save us".

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I haven't had a cold, flu, or more than 15 minutes of 'allergies' (aside from gluten-reactions, I am intolerant to it and get asthma from it if I'm stupid enough to eat it) for probably 2.5 years now, since I adopted a variety of four things (I don't usually do them all at once, it just isn't necessary).

I used to get something nasty at least twice a year, especially around November. So nasty I'd end up at the doctor's just to get the paper for HR at work as I'd be sick as a dog. Now when I am 'sick' it's usually just that I've combined ongoing sleep deprivation and horrible eating and feel icky-blah -- I'm never actually 'sick' like with anything from vomiting to sinus congestion or cough or aches. Just don't get that stuff anymore. Everyone around me does. Except my teen who does what I do. She used to be sick a lot too.

Whenever I feel something coming on -- when a gland near the throat starts aching, or congestion begins, etc.:

1. Put some hydrogen peroxide in each ear, hold your head sideways until it finishes fizzing. It's a long story but there was a researcher in the 30s who swore the common cold viral germs were big and actually bred/multipled in the ears (possibly in the earwax, I don't recall) and then had access to the glands to hit the rest of the body, and if the thyroid is really strong it gets it and CAN get it, but a) most aren't especially strong in a bromide/flouride culture and b) if the stuff is still going on in the ears it may not be strong enough for the continued assault. He was not taken seriously of course so this is not 'official' medicine of today and may or may not have any validity -- I have no idea and am not defending his science, I am merely explaining where the idea came from.

I was commenting on having read this in passing one day when a friend really reacted to that. She has a slightly deformed (way too thin) ear canal on one side and she was sickly all her young life. When this ear thing was found by the doc in her mid-20s or so, he suggested she do this, and she did it in both ears. She had never before made the connection that her chronic viral illnesses drastically dropped off at the same age, she knew they had, she'd just never associated the two things before. I figured it doesn't hurt to try given she'd been doing this for 30 years without apparent harm. It fizzes much like ear drops designed to get rid of wax. Usually this alone, if I'm getting the gland-ache symptoms in neck/throat and act on it quick, do a couple rounds if needed, will take care of it promptly.

2. Very-solid-dose of magnesium, vitamins A-E-K2, and then megadose D3 and (liposomal! ideally) C. Don't dose C at the same moment as minerals, separate it by a couple hours. There is no upper limit on D3.

3. Shift your diet to suddenly include a LOT of garlic, hot peppers, hot curry, or preferably all of the above. Up the 'good' fats (grassfed butter, coconut oil) and proteins and drop the sugar and starch and soft (milk-sourcream type) dairy. It doesn't usually require more than a day or two, it's not a hardship.

4. If you've waited too long for 'prevention' and you're already congested in the worst way, SSKI (this is not Lugol's) is allegedly a good natural expectorant and there are several other foods/herbs that are, google's your friend. And still use the supps and H2O2 on the ears. I haven't needed this yet.

I've never done all four of these at once. I usually do #1 and if I have any recurrence of the twinge or symptom (and everyone around me is hacking sneezing coughing vomiting aching whatever), I'll add 2 and 3. So far I have yet to 'keep' anything viral.

My friend who is here all day once a week and often a few times during, she and her two kids are sick all the time. The minute they think about feeling bad, she douses them with every medicine, takes them to doctor or ER... they are teens now and the three of them are walking petri dishes of (previously-) contagious illness.

Not for me anymore though. I started encouraging my teen on the points above (#1-3) and she was just mentioning the other day that she hadn't caught anything in well over a year or more, even though our friends are around us, and ill, it seems like regularly.

Not sure about bacterial issues, but I'd certainly be uber-megadosing lipo-C ongoing for any kind of infection, ascorbic has certainly had plenty of documented results against tons of stuff viral, bacterial, protozoan, etc.

For localized small infections like small wounds, there are several essential oils that are surprisingly effective (especially if you bathe until your skin is soft from long water exposure, then use them. Although most permeate the skin anyway). Like lavender oil. Not quack if it works. :-)

I actually didn't have any belief system in that kind of thing though I had a friend who was nuts about lavender. Years ago I was trying to get the neighbor's enthusiastic chocolate lab out of the street to save him from traffic, and in his jumping all over me (in his delight... weee! all these cars are playing with us!) he came down and one of his claws ripped a huge tear in my arm. I probably should have had stitches but it didn't catch any major veins. Wrapped around, due to both of our motion as it happened, from nearly my elbow to not quite the middle of my forearm a few inches from the wrist. I think it actually hurt so bad I didn't even realize how serious it was -- like some sort of "shock" from it -- until later when I was in the house running the shower on it. It was after hours and we didn't have our clinic here then so there was nothing to do but find some medicine. I finally found a few drops left in an ancient bottle of something like phisoderm, one of those 'wash playground blisters' kind of things, but then I was out. Later that night I took a long shower, and when I got out, man it was hurting so bad it was throbbing horribly. I remembered my friend and her lavender obsession and a bottle she'd given me that I finally dug up.

But the bottles is some euro thing you never get the little stick applicator with, and getting anything out of them is easier said than done. In trying to shake it to get some oil on my arm, without touching the wound to the tip of the bottle, I ended up getting two big areas of it and totally missed the middle section, which was actually the most shallow of the wound. I started to just rub the other stuff over that area, and then stopped, thinking: how will I know if it helps, really, if I don't have any control? So I had about 70% of it with lavender on each side, and about 30% of the wound, which was actually the least deep regions of the long deep cut, right in the middle, so I figured if the lav parts healed even a teeny bit faster it might be a good sign.

The next afternoon my assistant came in -- she'd been there during the injury -- and started yelling, "No way! No way!" The amount of healing that had happened was simply mind boggling -- and the part in the middle, where I did not have any oil, was instead swollen and pink-red getting inflamed.

Since it was kind of an experiment, I put more oil on but only on those areas, leaving the middle plain (so it only had the original rinse, then light medicine-wash, then a rinse later that first night). That was many years ago. There is no sign whatever of the injury except in the middle 30%, where I still have a scar.

I've been a fan of lavender ever since.

"Curing the incurable." Worthy book.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Straight up Wrabbit+this is,imo,a concern that outweighs any other worry in a world currently filled chock 'n block full of unappetising scenarios of a rather nightmarish future for our children.The lunatics have been running the asylum for too long..sometimes I wonder if I did my children a favor by giving birth to them.And it sucks to have to feel almost guilty that one allowed oneself to have life channelled through.

But seriously,the future is starting to look stygian never mind bleak.The future of the human race is being hi-jacked.It is inevitable that such nanotechnology would be used for control or some nefarious purpose-or have we not seen enough of the worst of human nature in our leaders+lawmakers? In rhe mega-wealthy who fund the research+development of such technology?
This is the most disturbing topic I have come across in a long time,actually.seriously deeply creepy.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

I have not been sick enough to need anti-biotics in a long time now.I suffer from chronic sinusitis but that is just a btw,I don't use medication for it,as it does'nt really help me-and who wants to take anti-biotics all the time?
That's what Caused this,people being prescribed anti+biotics for every sneeze and whimper.Sometimes one just has to hack it,I can understand the use of anti-biotics with surgical procedures,and for illnesses like ear infections,as those are hellish painful and debilitating.

Just after we arrived in this town,I got a bout of bronchitis,so I went to one of the local doctors.She booked me into the local clinic for 2/3 days.I had never in my youth had trouble with bronchitis or such,so I did'nt know much about the condition-i thought it must be pretty bad,for me to be booked into hospital.I was surprised that I still felt ok,I mean I was feeling quite sick,but in my mind one had to be practically terminal or in a car wreck,etc to warrant being booked into hospital,and though I felt pretty crappy,I was'nt on my last legs..So I went,was put on drip+had to spend 2 days there,could leave on 3rd day.

Turned out,she has a share in the local clinic
And I noticed a pattern of suggesting it would be Really for the best,one of us be booked into the clinic,till my husband and I just said no,we cannot afford to go into the hospital logistically,there is no one to look after the kids during the daytime if I am in hospital,and he would say he was at a critical stage at work on some procedure,etc-so we need to just get meds to swallow at home.Which is also what I told them when I got tick fever+was miserably ill-i will rather suffer at home,thanks,there has to be some one at home to watch the kids-which is the truth,anyway.

So I got antibiotics at such a time,on the occasional time I was really lousy sick.The doc don't even try to suggest the clinic when we are ill,anymore:-D when seldomly, indeed we are so ill that we even Need to see a doc.The hubby and I will only go to see a doc when we are in agony or half-dead sick,or bleeding out,basically.

In the years when we were going every time we felt bad,long ago,I remember in those days we were often down with something just about every month-walking petri dishes indeed

Now that we hardly ever see a doc or take medication,we actually do not Get sick that often.The eternal chronic sinusitis is a pest but it only really gets bad once or twice a year,the rest of the time it is lowgrade+can often be ignored.

I do use a lot of garlic+ginger in our food,but we love it,and it IS superhealthy.I tend to feel nauseous many mornings,and a piecy of ginger eaten along with drinking herbal ginger tea with fresh ginger submerged in it really helps,clears up the nausea(I don't know the reason for the nausea but I'm sure it can be tied to the sinusitis,it would not surprise me)

Anti-biotics certainly has (HAD?) It's place during surgery + a few serious/very painful illnesses,but it has been overutilised by many doctors,as some doctors will unnecessarily book one into hospital.Another penny that dropped for me,was when I thought back on all the years I was often crappily ill,or another family member-yet we never got sent to hospital.Then I realised-we did not have medical insurance then,so maybe that would have a lot to do with such issues also,the MI companies are maybe offering incentives to most private doctors(as opposed to docs working at state hospitals) to send insured patients to hospital at times when they could have recuperated just as well at home,and with less medication?

Either way,overutilising these drugs seem to be the cause of the drug-resistance.
For that one cannot blame the drug eg penicillin+antibiotics itself-that would be like saying: "Be careful of Colts,they tend to float around just randomly shooting folks all by themselves."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join