It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Scotland be an independent country?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The only way that this question should/will be answered is through the use of the democratic process.The people vote and the outcome is implemented.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
when a good 1.5 million people in scotland are not from here ie poland . can you see them vote to be outside of europe when that would mean that they will not be entitled to benefits .the uk is filled with foreign migrants enjoying benefits that they do not get at home and next year romania & albania are welcome in to . the jocks will never get independance not because of oil or whisky but because of WATER the 55 million people in england go through a lot of it & 85 % of the uks food is imported .how many small countrys of 5 million manage well without oil //fish //whisky on such an important issue do you think the vote would not be fixed

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie
when a good 1.5 million people in scotland are not from here ie poland .
You see, it's these kind of unsubstantiated assertions which I find the most frustrating on ATS.

Here are the facts from the General Register office for Scotland

The latest figures for the year to the end of December 2011 show that the number of people living in Scotland who were born outside the UK is estimated to be 340,000. The 5 most common countries of birth were Poland (67,000), India (24,000), Republic of Ireland (22,000), Germany (19,000) and Pakistan (16,000).

As a Brit I have my own issues with the open door EU policies on migration, but it does not help the argument against when dramatic and wholly inaccurate claims are made before being checked out first.

*Edit*

the jocks will never get independance not because of oil or whisky but because of WATER the 55 million people in england go through a lot of it
England (aside from cross border communities) is not currently supplied with any Scottish water, and without massive infrastructure building of pipelines etc, it is likely to remain that way. I personally do not see this issue particularly affecting Scotlands chances of gaining independence.

For information, here's some quotes in the Herald Scotland

Alex Salmond

There might well be an argument at some time for the transportation of water resources. And because it costs to transport you would sell it on that basis as an ongoing commercial transaction.

Scottish Labour party

It is vastly expensive to transport water, the infrastructure to do it doesn't exist, and it is unclear what government is interested in buying it.

edit on 3-2-2013 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
reply to post by Ramcheck

I agreed with you - how can being agreeable be trolling

Dear Scotland - I wish you well on your journey, it is time you left home and became independent, stood on your own two feet etc etc .
Many English people feel like me I think

You could always become an English Republican.

www.republic.org.uk...

Look after your own house and we'll look after ours.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

when a good 1.5 million people in scotland are not from here ie poland . can you see them vote to be outside of europe when that would mean that they will not be entitled to benefits .the uk is filled with foreign migrants enjoying benefits that they do not get at home and next year romania & albania are welcome in to . the jocks will never get independance not because of oil or whisky but because of WATER the 55 million people in england go through a lot of it & 85 % of the uks food is imported .how many small countrys of 5 million manage well without oil //fish //whisky on such an important issue do you think the vote would not be fixed

There are 5.6 million people in Scotland "Not from here."

Second.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Was reading that they expect all the legal problems to be sorted out in like 16-18 months once they get the vote which should be fun to negotiate NATO membership/UN currency and lord knows what else.....hate to say but i'm glad i'm on the English side of the cluster f--k of such a stupidly fast exit strategy

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think we should remain part of the Union. The SNP are a shambles regardless and can't seem to come to a general consensus on basic issues e.g. immediate EU membership which I'm sure isn't filling prospective voters hearts with confidence.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join