It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice on a business idea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to ask you guys opinion on a business idea I have. Video Games that can be embedded into websites that is marketed to businesses. Lets say that a business wants to add some Facebook buzz, or wants something on their website. I could make a game that would represent the product they are pushing. Also, I could build one for Human Resources to create more teamwork between people who are playing and learning at the same time.

This type of product could also be made for individuals who wanted a special Birthday Game made. I saw this video once where this couple in Germany sent out wedding invitations in a form of a game. You played this Super Mario spin off that at the end of the levels you received the prize of the wedding invitation.

Heck even ATS could have one by having a conspiracy game made for them!

So what do you guys think, good idea or not? I already have all the tools for this, and have the skills to pull it off. I just want to know what other people think before I put time and money into this. All opinions are welcome, and thanks in advance.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
you just gave away an idea potentially worth thousands... to people who have the money to take your idea and bring it to market before you do.

welcome to the business world...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'm not worried since I really don't think it will go anywhere. Talking to a few buddies and they say it is a waste of time. They think it would be "cheapening in a professional environment." If someone wants it let them have it. I'm going to try something different.

Thanks anyway.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
If you're talking about being the person to custom write to specific order on each client? Then yeah, I think it's a workable idea.

If you mean pre-writing a bunch of games that could simply have some added config by the end user...then I'd say I've seen literally thousands of Flash and other base games out there now that are very similar to Pogo but better ...and free for webmasters/designers to drop into pages. I've thought about making a little arcade site with a few hundred of the better ones...but even that's already going to be competing with many who've done the same.

Custom writing would be the key, IMO.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That was what my idea was. Making custom work for businesses. Usually when someone like myself makes a game, we have to sell it to a publisher. There are places to go where a company will market your game to a publisher for you. By the time everyone has had their cut, the developer doesn't have much left over.

I was thinking about custom games for businesses. The downside is the amount of time and resources needed for something like that. I could do it, but it isn't enough of a sure thing I believe.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
My background - owned a software company recently. - Experience at largest enterprise software companies. Currently specializing in social media analytics. I provide expertise on Venture Capital rounds as well.

Your idea has merit simply because gamification is becoming HUGE in the enterprise (opposed to someone elses advice). The challenge is monetizing an idea that initially will be one off development every single time. Typically in software you want to develop and have that pushed to the masses. In this case every single customer would need custom stuff. Think about dev staff to meet project demand. Creative Minds to formulate game ideas. Sales staff, experts in web traffic analytics, developing for browsers, etc.... You are better off starting a software company for gaming to push to consumers, not the middle man. (ex. Angry Birds). My advice would be to create an easy dev platform then sell it to one of the big players out there that has a product that would dovetail nicely. - for instance Salesforce.com

Feel free to pick my brain more if you like.

I ha

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
i have developed alot of business ideas to test or market stage over the years.

first off... ignore your friends, unless they have an MBA or are head of major corporations, they dont know what a company wants.

if you are serious, build a few games for existing products,. and sent them to the marketing coordinators for the respective companies.

make yourself a facebook page and post them there. if you are thinking of making them personalized for people, make some of that.
make sure you log your hours when doing a build so you can factor exactly how much you need to get paid to make it viable

if you can show a working product to a potential client, they will be far more likely to talk to you.

i built this: G-Saler The garage sale App

it is entirely a proof of concept and functional. in this instance i wont be selling it on, but i will be using the functional existing application to demonstrate to financial interest. you can see it demonstrates what my app will do, how to get it and even gives a portal to add a sale.
it cost a little to get it all built but long term it will be worth it.

get your idea, build it, see if it works the way you want. then, work out how to sell it next.

i was serious tho, i have lost many ideas out to people with bigger capital pools than myself, because i spoke too much or to the wrong person about an idea. be careful who you talk to (:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by othwald

Well, if I was going to pursue something like that, I'd make as versatile a demo and then as high quality a website around it to sell the service as your skills can do. If it's at all viable as a business then making the demo is time well spent and nothing lost at any rate. Then float the idea around and see what comes.

It would be involved...but then some of what these guys charge and get for mere websites is ..ahem...cough... obscene. I'm a polite bunny when it comes bill time on the things I do. It includes apps tho and custom for the client. What I do is Windows based right now and nothing like you're suggesting. Similar for approach to market or float the idea though. If you have the skill set, I'd give it a shot.

It's a Burger King world out there. Everyone wants it 'Their Way'. If you can supply that? Who knows....it could very well work. Don't let anyone talk ya out of the try anyway.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The best way to find out if your idea will work or not is to just go out and do it.

Your idea is fairly low risk for you to just go out and try it...hell...even do it for free the first time. Ask the ATS owners if you can write a free game for them.

Asking people about a business idea will always bring out those that just want to shoot you down...so just go out and do it. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't work out.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
i was serious tho, i have lost many ideas out to people with bigger capital pools than myself, because i spoke too much or to the wrong person about an idea. be careful who you talk to (:

agreed - dont talk to VC without having at least a prototype or some kind of IP locked down.

top topics

join