It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things to do in Orlando, FL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I am going to Orlando, FL in the beginning of January and was interested in knowing if anyone was familiar with the area enough to be able to advise about things to do off the tourist track. For instence, has anyone gone to Club Necropolis at The Independent Bar?

Thanks,
Jonna

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
You're talking about the tourism capital of the world, and you want to know what's off the beaten track? That entire city is BASED on tourism, hehe... Well, the best advice I can give is go into either a McDonalds, or a Stuckeys in or around Orlando, and you'll see a HUGE collection of brochures for every little weird and wild place in the surrounding areas....

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
You can't miss International Drive (AKA "I-Drive")...Lots of cool shops and tourist traps...upsidedown/crooked buildings, waterparks, not to mention the entrance to Universal Studies...and I think Disney, but I'm not sure...
Anyways...that road has its own website:
www.internationaldriveorlando.com...

I've heard that Club Matrix is supposed to be a pretty chill nightclub...I don't visit Orlando often enough to really get into the night scene...

Too bad you're not going next week...I'll be down there on a conference...got my own Villa at the Caribe Royale - MWA HA HA!!

EDIT: I can't spell...

[Edited on 11/9/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Thanks both of you! I am going down to visit a friend and, although I really have no interest in the touristy things, my gf has never been there so we might go to Epcot and Sea World, but besides that I'm not into parks or rides. It will probably be more of a relaxing vacation then running about trying to fit as much in as possible.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oh...I forgot to mention the Orlando Magic...if ya like basketball, they're usually pretty fun to watch - they go all out for the halftime shows...last time I went though, it was when they played the Wizards while Jordan was still playing, so I doubt it would be as busy or crowded...

They play at the TD Waterhouse, which is also a venue for a lot of bands...maybe you can check ticketmaster and see what's going on concert-wise in Orlando in Jan...Just at a glance, it looks like Cirque Du Soleil will be there almost all month...

I guess that might be a little more mainstream though...But then again, everything there is mainstream...like Gazrok said, that town is there for one purpose and it's filled with little shops that love to rape the unsuspecting
...It's a fun change of pace though for a few days...

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
International Drive is awesome, especially if you like to window shop or actually spend money....

of course there's Disney..... I really enjoyed Epcot.

For bars and partying... go to City Walk, near the theme parks, it was awesome... so many bars so little time....
:shk:
:shk:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm going to florida tomorrow! Orlando/disney/ect

Driving from Michigan all the freeking way there... Thats going to take a good two days ...

that link wouldn't work for internationaldrive..

can you see if that link is right?? it wouldn't let me connect...

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

Driving from Michigan all the freeking way there... Thats going to take a good two days ...

Good Luck ... Drive carefully...

we drove there from NW Ohio 2 years ago... it wasn't that bad of a drive...

we drove to just the other side of Atlanta and spent the night and then drove the rest of the way in the next morning.....

Have you been to Disney before ?

I'm going back this spring and taking my 12yr old Daughter.. *S*, I didn't get to go as a kid and am able to take her now, so I want her to see it...

*thinking* I'm a good dad.....

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

Awesome...hope you have fun TL! When you pass Tallahassee on the Interstate, give me a wave

The link is working for me...if you're still having problems, just try googling "international drive orlando"...

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Ok I Went and had fun! woohoo! I got pics... anyone wanna see!

I waved EOH, but I don't think you saw me.... hell, it's the thought that counts.

elevatedone,

I was in Disney when I was 12, I have real dorky pictures of me here, I can post one... I thought I was so cool with my black polka dot tight pants, and my mickey house hat... oh yeah, my sunglasses too... back in 93, I was one hot kid.. ha...

i'll post em later...

clearwater was so nice...

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Here they are! only some... I have way too many.. I got camera happy now that I have a digital... Yes I took the dolphin pics, I went on a really fast boat that makes big waves and apparantly the dolphins love to jump through them... they are the cutest things!!

[Edited on 18-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Looks like you had a lot of fun!
The weather these past few weeks has been great!

I actually just got back from Orlando myself...Although it was a business trip, I had quite a bit of fun...

We were on our own after the conference to find dinner each night...Seeing as how the research branch of our University provides you with a WONDERFUL opportunity to pay for ANY meal so long as non-University employees accompany you...and you discuss a bit of business...we tried some pretty damn good places!

Here's my recommendations...

FishBones - The #4 rated Seafood rstuarant in the US...excellent steak as well - I had some incredible stone crab claws as an appetizer and steak and lobster as the entree...Very expensive place though...about $70/person - The friggin appetizer was $50!!
Bahama Breeze - This is a place you'll find here and there in FL - It's an upscale chain - You may have to wait a while for a table, but once you're seated, the service is quick and excellent...and it's always happy hour! The food is awesome - As the name suggests, it's very tropical - I had a special that was running that night...It was an Ancho Brushed King Salmon Filet - great stuff! The baked goat cheese app is also killer!
Columbia This is Florida's oldest restaurant...I think the original one is in Ybor City, but the one I went to was in Celebration (The Disney white-picket fenced commune!
) The food was excellent though, despite the Norman ROckwell surreal surroundings of the "neighborhood/miniture city"...It's traditional Cuban/Spanish fare - All I can say is - I had the Gazpacho, Paella, and a Tango Mango diaquari - and for that one hour I was not in FL....

new topics

top topics

join