It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill proposed in Oregon would make cigarettes prescription-only drugs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Bill proposed in Oregon would make cigarettes prescription-only drugs

m.kptv.com

SALEM, OR (KPTV) - If you're a regular smoker, you may want to keep an eye on a new bill in the Oregon Legislature.

Rep. Mitch Greenlick, from Portland, is sponsoring a bill that makes cigarettes a Schedule III controlled substance, meaning it would be illegal to possess or distribute cigarettes without a doctor's prescription.

Under the proposal, offenders would face maximum punishments of one year in prison, a $6,250 fine or both.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
One by one they are taking our freedoms away from us. Smokers in the US have been under attack for decades and now the harassment has moved to a new level.

Tobacco is a legal product enjoyed by millions of adults around the world, yet here in America Big Brother is positioning himself to play parent to us.

What is it going to take? How far is too far? When will you say enough is enough?

m.kptv.com

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
bloody oath, 100% agree with this step!
Good on him, he'll get the normal flack and abuse people cop when talking about cigs and their REAL effects.

Thumbs up, slowly but surely peoples health with be considerd more important than company profits.

I love it..

Slowly the PEOPLE and the COURTS are limiting the reach of these rich cigg'y companies and their testicular grasp on members of congress and government.

BAN Them I say. If your stupid enough to smoke cigs, then when you get cancer or any other form of illness I think you should be banned from all hospitals. YOU CHOSE your fate, so enjoy it!

is now

slowly but surely... it will be stamped out from society like the cancer it is!

bring it!

edit on 24-1-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

It'll never pass as a state law. Oregonians love their smokes. There are scattered city ordinances that are pretty strict with it and who would likely pass this sort of law but statewide, there's no way.

Remember, it doesn't take much to propose a bill and ridiculous ones get proposed all the time.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obsrvr

One by one they are taking our freedoms away from us. Smokers in the US have been under attack for decades and now the harassment has moved to a new level.

Tobacco is a legal product enjoyed by millions of adults around the world, yet here in America Big Brother is positioning himself to play parent to us.

What is it going to take? How far is too far? When will you say enough is enough?

m.kptv.com

What? Are you kidding? This is great...

We all get to go back to unadulterated tobacco that is now black marketed so the average Joe like you and me can make 2k a month because we grow tobacco in our basements. And they penalty is only a 90-180 days stint in the county? Shooooooot... Keep rollin' those stupid laws out! There's not much opportunity for an uneducated man to take care of his wife and kids anymore...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Soon you will need a prescription to drink beer.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
My question is: What constitutes a prescription for cigarettes? Like, is it if you are already addicted, then you get the prescription? Or are they going to actually prescribe the cigarettes for different ailments? Like, what would the ailments entail, stress, anxiety, constipation?

I dont know what would be more shocking, it being illegal to posses cigarettes, or the fact that you could be prescribed them. I am sorry, but this sounds like a joke to me, because I simply dont see this occuring.

In any case, I live in Portland, and I will sure as hell be voting against this. To me, this is going to make a lot more trouble. People will simply sell cigarettes illegaly like they do other drugs, and that will just over-populate the prisons with petty offenders, take up police officers precious time, and those things will just further waste even more tax dollars. We are trying to legalize some silly plant for those very same reasons, and now they want to make things worse by outlawing cigarettes?

Anyways, didnt they try outlawing some other legal substance for a while? Oh yeah, alcohol, and look how well that went. The prohibiton days were just fine and dandy.

edit on 24-1-2013 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283
My question is: What constitutes a prescription for cigarettes? Like, is it if you are already addicted, then you get the prescription? Or are they going to actually prescribe the cigarettes for different ailments? Like, what would the ailments entail, stress, anxiety, consitpation?

I dont know what would be more shocking, it being illegal to posses cigarettes, or the fact that you could be prescribed them. I am sorry, but this sounds like a joke to me, because I simply dont see this occuring.

In any case, I live in Portland, and I will sure as hell be voting against this. To me, this is going to make a lot more trouble. People will simply sell cigarettes illegaly like they do other drugs, and that will just over-populate the prisons with petty offenders, take up police officers precious time, and those things will just further waste even more tax dollars. We are trying to legalize some silly plant for those very same reasons, and now they want to make things worse by outlawing cigarettes?

Anyways, didnt they try outlawing some other legal substance for a while? Oh yeah, alcohol, and look how well that went. The prohibiton days were just fine and dandy.

No no no...You gotta think outta the box a little bit.. It's simple, If it's a prescribed substance and it has no medicinal purpose. It is effectivly outlawed.. The selling of it in a store anyway...

link   
They will have to pry my pack and lighter from my dead cold hands.

link   
Does anybody know how much in taxes the state gets? I doubt if it makes millions or even hundreds of thousands, the bill passes.
edit on 24-1-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
There are people here, and they know who they are, who have clearly never smoked a fine cigar or burned a good bowl of pipe tobacco.

Some of us appreciate the nice things that life offers us. With our tobacco we snatch a few moments of quality time in a world where others wish to dictate our every move.

The health police cannot regulate human behavior. Supply and demand dictates who and what really rules.

Tobacco, like everything else, will go underground.

The mob existed because it provided goods and services unavailable by law but in demand.

We will find a way.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Obsrvr

I can only speak for myself, but i've smoked cigs before, one I decided one day to turn the tables, everything seemed to improve when i decided to go clean! never looked back!

But I agree, a fine cigar or some fine tobacco is nice on the occasion. So maybe we need to really focus on the laws properly. Make it perscrption, people who smoke a pack a day need to be regulated. So maybe enforce some sort of system that limits the amount of cigs released at a time? maybe force people to grow their own (so the companies dont fill it full of chemicals)

Honestly, i find all the people jumping up and down about cigs are usually the ones too scared to try quitting.
I mean, why would you want to continually pump your body full of toxic CRAP that does nothing but ruin your health and bring misery in the long run? People want to quit, its just that most are too scared!

There are compromises to be made if people didnt just jump on the cig haters are bad bandwagon. I have friends who smoke, they are dear and close friends, myself, my other friends and their family are always encouraging them to quit, they want to quit, but there's a reason cigerettes are addictive.. because the CEO's want to make money! or does this point get lost on people?

sorry mod!
just making a point!

edit on 24-1-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obsrvr
There are people here, and they know who they are, who have clearly never smoked a fine cigar or burned a good bowl of pipe tobacco.

I am a non smoker and have no problems with people smoking just as long as it's not around me, that stuff smells bad and I cannot breathe around it.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by foodstamp

Originally posted by Renegade2283
My question is: What constitutes a prescription for cigarettes? Like, is it if you are already addicted, then you get the prescription? Or are they going to actually prescribe the cigarettes for different ailments? Like, what would the ailments entail, stress, anxiety, consitpation?

No no no...You gotta think outta the box a little bit.. It's simple, If it's a prescribed substance and it has no medicinal purpose. It is effectivly outlawed.. The selling of it in a store anyway...

Not really. If you look at the technical classification of a schedule 3 drug, which is what this proposed law would make it, then that means they will have to accept the attributed traits of a schedule 3 drug. They are as follows:

(3) Schedule III.—
(A)The drug or other substance has a potential for abuse less than the drugs or other substances in schedules I and II.

(B)The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.

(C)Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.

Source

Now, I think we should examine that carefully. Are they really willing to claim that cigarettes will only lead to "moderate or low physical dependence", and that they have "accepted medical use in treatment in the United States"? I mean, nicotine is only one of the MOST physically addictive drugs there are. This is also kind of funny when that silly little plant was just recently denied it's chance to move from a schedule 1 to 2 drug, giving it accepted medical usage. Despite that it has been proven time and time agian to have a whole wealth of factual medical benifits. Geesh, this is just sad when you think about it.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
If it actually passed, then Oregon would officially become a hell hole as every smoker in the state would begin to suffer withdrawals collectively...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Should this "being stupid" also apply to those who...
Speed
Ride motorcycles
eat fruit with a knife
Drink sugar/ hfcs beverages
alcoholic beverages
Go to hospitals
use power tools
This list could actually fill up the rest of the internets!
I can tell that by your propaganda that you have an agenda.
Tell me true, what is your vice??
Don't lie, we all got em.

Towards the OP prohibition has never worked, ever!
The only thing that can result from this is alot of dead feds and some civi casualties.
I know if a fed wanted to haul me to prison for smoking a cigarette, I'd kill him/her for being a tyrant.
Cages are for criminals and animals, not free men.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

Based on that I'm surprised they're not considering outlawing coffee.

Where will the line be drawn? This is getting to be like a comic opera.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join