It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

49 Degree Temp Change in 2 minutes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I did a quick search on this and didn't see anything so hopefully it has not been posted before but I found it interesting...

"Imagine bundling up to get the newspaper on an early morning at 7:30 a.m. with the temperature at a frigid -4 degrees.

Just two minutes later as you are letting Fido have a potty break on the lawn, you notice that the frigid air you walked out the door into is not so frigid anymore. You look at your thermometer and the temperature has shot up to 45 degrees. That's right, a temperature increase of 49 degrees in just two minutes!

But wait, that's not the end of this wild morning weather story. After the temperature climbs all the way to 54 degrees at 9 a.m., it crashes down again 58 degrees in 27 minutes to -4 degrees once again

Sounds like a dream, but it's not. All of this happened in Spearfish, S.D. on January 22, 1943.
"

Here is the whole article off the Weather Channel

www.weather.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

sounds like some kind of radiation blast, giant solar x flare?. or maybe some kind of steam vent opened up in the area?

The wild temperature fluctuations were likely due to cold air and warm air sloshing back and forth along the plains at the base of the Black Hills. A similar effect would be to pour warm water into a shallow bowl of cold water. The water would slosh back and forth a few times before settling down. This is likely what happened with the warm and cold air along the Black Hills."

never mind, not as dramatic or exciting lol
edit on 23-1-2013 by ~widowmaker~ because: ferrets

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
S&F for you for pulling in an ambulance chaser like myself...build me up with the suspense to get to the punchline...70 year old weather front! Great post OP, quite the change in temps. And I thought it was cool to watch a bank thermometer drop from 33 degrees to 14 degrees in one hour last Saturday while out to dinner.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Sounds like a Chinook to me:

en.wikipedia.org...

Happens almost every winter in Alberta and sometimes the prairies. Not always as extreme but it can be.

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Very Interesting, thanks for bringing this up
we had some pretty wild weather changes here the last couple years, but nothing like this
S&F

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Really cool thread. I was relieved to hear it was a long time ago, cause if something as dramatic as that went off today, there would be 10 doom and gloom threads, and 5 OMG threads this morning lol!

The Earth is an amazing place. Star and flag, and thanks for sharing!

Peace

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
here in north florida we have that happening alot innthe winter bas we are right up aganst one of the jet streams then it dips down slightly it can go from 75 down to 30 in mints along with lots of wind .
personialy i hate it as soon as you get use to the temp difference it goes right abck up tehn down again two days later in mints .
we have accutly going from snow ((nothing like they get up north to 80 in a hour

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Had that happen once, not as drastic though.
It was like 87 degrees,partly cloudy, and the ol' man and I decided to take our little one for a walk.

We got to the end of our driveway, and not even past our property line (100 ft), a big gust of wind came up, and one second it was too hot and muggy, to like 55 degrees in one gust of wind. That was kinda scary.

Of course, the saying here in Indiana is:

"If you don't like the weather in Indiana, wait a minute, it will change."

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Sounds like a Chinook to me:

en.wikipedia.org...

Happens almost every winter in Alberta and sometimes the prairies. Not always as extreme but it can be.

Peace

yep, I live right smack in the middle of Chinook territory in southern Alberta. I've seen temps go from -30 C (-22 F) to +15 C (+59 F) in a matter of hours, Usually we will see Chinooks lasting for days or in rare cases weeks.. Never seen temperature change as drastic as indicated in this OP though, that is one fast temperature change.

new topics

top topics

join