It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia fifth grader searched by school officials after bringing paper gun to class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Hadn't seen this posted anywhere yet.

Philadelphia fifth grader searched by school officials after bringing paper gun to class

Philadelphia girl scolded, searched for pulling out paper gun at school, mom says

Fifth-grader reprimanded for bringing paper ‘gun’ to school

A Philadelphia elementary school student was scolded and searched by administrators in front of her entire class after she pulled out a paper gun in class last week, according to her mother.

According to Philadelphia mother Dianna Kelly, who spoke with FOX 29 about the incident, her daughter, Melody Valentin, was given a sheet of paper by her grandfather that was torn and folded to look like a pistol. When another student saw the fake gun, which Melody had thrown in the trash can, he alerted the teacher. The teacher then went over the top when reprimanding Melody, Kelly told Fox 29, saying that he "should call the cops on her" and that she could "be arrested."

Thoughts ATS?
edit on 23-1-2013 by Taliesien333 because: added quotes and an image of the "paper gun" for people who don't click links.

edit on Wed Jan 23 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Starting a New Thread?...Look Here FirstAboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sitesplease post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item, as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Wed Jan 23 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed external quote tags

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

A Philadelphia fifth grader was admonished by school officials and called "murderer" by classmates for bringing a piece of paper that looked like a gun to school.

Read more: www.nydailynews.com...

Nice. That'll help the kid grow up into a confident healthy adult.

Morons.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Gee... He brings a paper gun and gets attacked by paper tigers.

Yup. Sounds right for the nation and school systems today!

Let's hear it for common sense! (Hello?? common sense?? Where did that go anyway? Must be here somewhere...?)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I don't wanna live on this planet anymore... oh wait I better watch what I say it might be taken as a suicide threat on myself -.-

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Over the top, beyond absurd, knee jerk, over inflated, ridiculous reaction.

The teacher should be reprimanded for the insane treatment of the child.

The child should be moved to another school, or, preferably, homeschooled.

Seriously, this zero tolerance crap lacks in common sense. There is no room for a rational common sense response. It is all panic, panic, panic!

If people think their children are not being affected by all of this ant-gun nonsense, well, here is your proof.

Why, back in the "old days", kids played cowboys and indians, but then it became politically incorrect. The leftist progressives have trully turned this world inside out with all of their PC crap. Pink bubble blowing guns are a reason now, to suspend 5 year olds.

This world is slowly going insane.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Ridiculous.

I remember when I was a kid, we were quite proficient in making all kinds of paper guns.
Shotguns, machine guns, pistols, bazookas.

And not one of my friends has gone on a homicidal rampage. Weird huh?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Looks like apiece of paper with a torn out square maybe could be mistaken for a paper L.
But a gun?
Anyone that thinks that looks like a gun really needs to get with reality. The teacher needs a pay cut for being a moron as well.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
Looks like apiece of paper with a torn out square maybe could be mistaken for a paper L.
But a gun?
Anyone that thinks that looks like a gun really needs to get with reality. The teacher needs a pay cut for being a moron as well.

I hear one of the less popular suggestions from Biden's violence taskforce was removing the letter L from the alphabet. Sorry, I meant aphabet. Dont want to risk sending you off on a murderous rampage.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I find these event's absolutely ridiculous!

I live in the UK where we all know by now has very strict gun control and regulation's...but even us don't seem to get so bloody hung up about it!!
It was another pupil's birthday in my 5 year old twin's class at school...so as is customary, the mother of the birthday boy brought in a little treat for each of the other children in the class.....they all came home with a water pistol which the teacher had distributed on behalf of the mother...just to point out this was only last week! Oh the shock and the horror!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

They already got what they wanted with the UK so no need to push this social engineering / public shaming crap on you.

They're still trying to raise a generation in the US that will submit to the strict regs and even disarmament.

I bet that if some cultural shift made liberalizing UK laws a possibility you'd be seeing the same zero tolerance nonsense there until the kids got back in line.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Logos23

They already got what they wanted with the UK so no need to push this social engineering / public shaming crap on you.

They're still trying to raise a generation in the US that will submit to the strict regs and even disarmament.

I bet that if some cultural shift made liberalizing UK laws a possibility you'd be seeing the same zero tolerance nonsense there until the kids got back in line.

I understand the point you make....but we didn't have much of a gun culture or gun ownership before the ban....and still don't, nothing much changed....so I'm not sure how "they" got what they wanted.

Well if the government really are targeting and hurting and upsetting kid's to push this agenda then I really do despair! ...But I'm not sure if some of this in school's, especially the grossly over the top behaviour isn't just the result of neurotic teachers.

Either way it's a sad reflection.
edit on 23-1-2013 by Logos23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
This should be an ringing bell of alarm for all sane parents to take their kids out of government propagandist schools.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
part of indoctrination

at a young age, teach/show children (now, and they will remember for the rest of their lives) how the world works... its a form or brainwashing... indoctrination

works just as well on brainless, non-critical thinking adults as well.
edit on 23-1-2013 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
As I can no longer edit my original post to not make it a one line post, I will post my thoughts here. I honestly was so flabberghasted at this when I first read it and immediately put it up here, I don't think including my opinion at that time would have been constructive. I think it's beyond ludicrous. I've recently gotten very emotional about the gun debate going on in numerous topics here, I believe I've done a decent job of keeping it toned down for my posts because my intention is never to attack people, I try to keep it civil but some of the views being expressed have me so incensed that it's time to walk away for a bit. So I leave you with this story, for awhile, see how far it's being taken? A fifth grader threatened with jail for a piece of paper that vaguely resembled a pistol? Now I know it was a teacher being a jerk threatening her with jail, and that it wasn't an enforceable threat but come on. Oh and she had thrown it away, or was in the process of throwing it away, one link says she threw it away, others seem to say she was throwing it away. Not like she pointed it at anyone and made bang noises. How can people honestly believe that the government won't push this new antigun agenda any more strongly then our schools are pushing it?

Peace and safety be with you all,
T.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I'm beginning to think there must be some sort of secret competition among some of the school districts to see who can pull the stupidest stunt .

join