It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Amounts Of Data Can Be Stored In DNA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Huge Amounts Of Data Can Be Stored In DNA

news.sky.com

Scientists have used DNA to store an mp3, a jpeg photo, a pdf file - and every one of William Shakespeare's sonnets.

Just as a computer stores digital files as a unique code of 'ones' and 'zeros', scientists wrote information into a strand of synthetic DNA made from a sequence of four chemical 'letters'.

They say data can be written so efficiently that every film and TV programme ever made could be stored in HD quality in just one cupful of DNA.

Currently data is archived on magnetic tape in huge vaults. But the tape degrades and the information on it needs to be copied onto a
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well this is fascinating stuff. I think this would be of interest to those who ascribe to the theory that within our DNA lies a hidden message which we have yet to discover. With this development what is there stopping us from storing everything about our civilisation and pass down to future generations who can then plug it in to an interface and not just view history but a whole treasure trove of information.

Do you think our existing DNA holds simmilar information which we have yet to discover?

Do you think we should store information for future generations?

Personally I find it fascinating that we now have the ability to even do this. We have all the potential to become a type 1 civilisation but yet we squander our development by killing each other in senseless wars.

Would love to see your thoughts and comments on this!!

news.sky.com

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What if our so called subjective reality is in fact nothing more than that same data as described in the article?

Wild conjecture, sure, and probably biologically impossible, but it sure fun to think about.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
DNA itself needs to be copied and is subject to mutation so while its very good for a dense form of data storage it'll still need error checking and correction and making it work as well as current technology from arctic weather to death valley will make it very impractical for most organisations as at the moment you just dump the data to a tape and slam it in the vault but when the vault needs biological equipment to ensure the DNA's survival it becomes a long term headache as you have to maintain it constantly as you can't just dump a cup of DNA soup in a vault and then fish it back 5 years later and hope to retrieve it

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Someone once said to me that he thinks our memory is not stored in the brain but in our DNA. So if we can store information in synthetic DNA, then why can't we store it in our own? Hmmm. All those movies, tv shows and Shakespear's sonnets compiled in ourselves to recall at once. Wouldn't that be something...
edit on 23-1-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Do you think our existing DNA holds simmilar information which we have yet to discover?

well if it does, i dont think we the people will ever hear about it
can you imagine if it was discovered that the governments would release the information?
i cant see that happening
although scientists are a different breed
maybe we would hear about it after all
edit on 23/1/13 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

edit on 23/1/13 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Star and Flag for OP, I first read the BBC news thread about this on my iphone though no posting of links is necessary as you can easily find this story over most any internet news site. And these are my own thoughts that will be conveyed.

Reading that they have now been able to "Code" DNA to store data sparked a thought in me, I'm having a hard time shaking.

So we can code DNA what about extracting the " Junk Data " that I always hear about. Does this Junk DNA actually hold information from our ancestors?

Think about the scene from the Matrix when he first learns Kung Fu, did they not encode his DNA to recall what was downloaded into Neo?

Just a thought, prolly nothing but a thought in the wind I had, anyway that's my first forum post

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The DNA and RNA coding is so complex that I think even supercomputers are having a hard time going through it. The data added in 2012 alone about the junk DNA not being junk at all just opens up more room for potential usage of the code. Thanks for this thread, I haven't heard about this.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I searched "DNA memory" and it came up with a thread from 2011. Similar.

Scientist Prove DNA Can Be Reprogrammed by Words and Frequencies

Yeah ok, cool. But "huge amounts of Data can be stored" now. Thats awesome.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Its not surprising you can store a lot on DNA because its super tiny, in fact i think its so small you cant even get a good picture of it with the strongest microscope. But is it a useful way of storing data compared to anything else? Is it practical? Whats the read and write speed likely to be?

edit on 23-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Of course; that is how the memories of past lives are stored.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

It's a bold statement in my opinion.

What do you mean? You have experienced that?

I mean.... I understand your post. Please expand if you could?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...
I beat this thread by 3 minutes.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Let it go.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss

Do you think we should store information for future generations?

news.sky.com

When I was in college, I remember them teaching us that the majority of the base pairs in our DNA are "junk". That is to say that a tiny portion of our DNA holds the recipe for the production of various proteins and such that make up us and the rest didn't code for anything.

However, more recent data suggests that there isn't really any junk DNA and everything is used for something.

I can't imagine there being enough space for any sort of extra message.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Pretty old news, but still worth a post. I find this pretty amazing, just think what our great grand kids can do with this stuff.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Title should read:

"Journalist finds scientific fact long after its discovery"

This is nothing new...

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
There is a lot of information stored in out DNA that is not recognized by most sciences. I suppose it will now be verified that this programing exists. Whoever or whatever created the life on this planet was extremely advanced, it wasn't a series of mistakes that created life here. Maybe these mistakes added up to life somewhere in a different reality than we know, after all, something did create our creators. We were engineered though.

Meanwhile, the chemicals they are pushing into our foods as safe have never been tested against anything other than what they say is important.
edit on 23-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Imagine hard disks utilising this technology. Woah. Nearly limitless space! I wonder how fast the transfer rate would be.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I believe many here here on ATS have maintained that belief for a while, the so called "delusional".

On the contrary, the taboo, is making mainstream media as fast a jack rabbit in July.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join