It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dare I say it - UK Showing Early Signs of Recovery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
There has been some good news for once in the UK today about the road to financial recovery and according to Mervyn King we may well be back on the right road.

The Office for national statistics today sonfirmed that the UK now has more people in Employment than in any other time in the past 40 years. To compliment this the number of people claiming job seekers benafits has dropped by 12,100 people to 1.56m claimants. The Unemployment rate fell over all to 7.7% too.

The unemployment rate dropped to 7.7% in the three months to November as the UK's jobs market continued to improve in contrast to most of its European neighbours.

The Office for National Statistics said there were 2.49 million people unemployed, down 37,000 on June to August 2012 and down 185,000 on a year earlier. It is the lowest since spring 2011.

A record number of people were also in work last year after a boost to full-time and part-time working. Almost 30 million adults were in a job in the quarter to last November, up by more than half a million on the previous year.

The figure, giving an employment rate of 71%, is the highest since records began in 1971.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Other figures revealed that the number of self-employed workers has increased by 7,000 to 4.2million.

In another encouraging sign of life for the economy, long-term unemployment has fallen - down by 10,000 for those out of work for more than two years, to 434,000, and by 5,000 for people unemployed for at least a year, to 892,000

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The economy is springing back to life and there are ‘good reasons to suppose a gentle recovery is under way’, the governor of the Bank of England said last night.
Sir Mervyn King also said there was ‘no reason’ why State-backed Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds could not be largely sold back to the private sector ‘within a relatively short period’.
Delivering his most upbeat speech since the financial crisis, Sir Mervyn outlined a set of policies which he said could ‘roll back the dark cloud of uncertainty’ hanging over the economy.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Opinion is hardening at the Bank of England against stimulating the economy with any extra cash.
Its powerful cohort of rate-setters remained entrenched in their positions at their early January meeting - they again voted 8-1 against more money printing and 9-0 against a change in the rock-bottom 0.5 per cent interest rate.
But while monetary policy committee member David Miles maintained his vote for a modest increase in the £375billion of bond purchases made to date to £400billion, others said they had become more certain that this was not necessary.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

So the early signs are certainly starting to show, that the UK is over the worst and is now starting to recover. Although I am slightly sceptical about the timings of the release of all this information.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
You must be kidding. Jobs are going by the 1000 nearly everyday.

From car industry, banking and retail. And we will see more

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I agree. Add this to the fact that the Coalition are making serious inroads into the structural deficit and they suddenly do not look like quite the car crash that we thought they did.

There is still a long rocky road ahead but at least visible progress is being made.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RP2SticksOfDynamite

They are also being created every day, but you won't read that in the sensationalistic MSM. The ONS provides raw statistics with no opinion or skewed representation IMO.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I really doubt that's the truth.

There can be no recovery since the system is crooked, broken...it can not recover. It is slowly reaching the event horizon...

I'm not being pessimistic. Just realistic.

But hey...weekend will be here soon, so everything will be all right.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly

I really doubt that's the truth.

There can be no recovery since the system is crooked, broken...it can not recover. It is slowly reaching the event horizon...

I'm not being pessimistic. Just realistic.

But hey...weekend will be here soon, so everything will be all right.

I'd have to agree. The rot in the system across the Industrialized world in particular is systemic and core to the system itself now. It wasn't always and didn't have to be....but it sure is now. It'll take re-building entirely ..not recovery ..to fix it. Recovery works in the short term though, if it can be had at all anymore.

Heck.. I wouldn't wish any more misery of the good folks of the United States OR United Kingdom. So, I hope the OP is right for the sake of the common people. We could all use a little uplifting news....even if it's not long term sustainable.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
They always seem to put out info like this when bad news hits. Like blockbuster, hmv, and jessops going into administration. Wish i could believe it!. Hope your right michael

edit on 23-1-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Laugh out loud....

Have you all not clicked by now that the system cannot be fixed.

Why in the past 3 years have people not clicked that this financial crisis has always been impending...some may say orchestrated but lets be sure of one thing...those that created this system must have had the fore-sight to see that it would fail.

The UK is on the right road until next quarter when yet again we hear sales dropped and blah blah blah...it's all the same!

edit on 23/1/13 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

I agree with you but for me there was no real suprise with Blockbuster, Jessops and HMV. Their business model has always been one of providing goods but with a premium attached, busnisses like this were always going to go bump if they didn't change their ways as people got more savvy, counting their pennies more. The demand for their product hasn't disappeared, but moved to an area where greater value can be taken. People are shopping around more these days, that is all and only the strongest will survive.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

If you take a look at what this coalition goverment are doing to the statistics you would find the numbers are wrong,upto 20000 claimants are stopped each week for minor mistakes in their claims,thus they are classed as not unemployed but dont have work?this is also the same for claiments on sickness benefits.
Many people cant correctly fill in the rellivent paperwork because it has been made so complicated by tptb.
I have heard of people having money stopped because they used wrong coluor pen lol.
We people of the uk are lied to on a daily basis by cameron and his goons,hell he couldnt even give a straight answer in pms questions today the slimeball.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod
Laugh out loud....

Have you all not clicked by now that the system cannot be fixed.

Why in the past 3 years have people not clicked that this financial crisis has always been impending...some may say orchestrated but lets be sure of one thing...those that created this system must have had the fore-sight to see that it would fail.

The UK is on the right road until next quarter when yet again we hear sales dropped and blah blah blah...it's all the same!

Nobody is saying that the system is working, just pointing out that things are now slowly starting to get better, for us, the people of the UK. The system will always be corrupt but it is how we feel it that matters. I am for one happy that things might be starting to improve for us slaves at the bottom.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ramarevealed

I agree about the gathering of the statistics, but those are the only statistics we have to reference. Wether they are skewed or not, doesn't mean that the overall trend is not important. I know the government stop peoples benafits at the drop of a hat, but they cannot skew the employment statistics, people are either in work or they are not, there is no inbetween (well there is part time work) so those statistics are indeed very encouraging.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yes i understand that but it is providing false hope. I read just the other day that the snow could have sent the UK into a triple dip recession...i mean come on.

Just because sales fall in a FY Qtr, does that really constitute a recession? Seems more like a good way to keep peoples morale low...keep the banks in a happy place so that they dont need to start lending again....all the while holding the leverage over the "little guy"

There is NO hope for the UK or the West at all.

The sooner people realise that one quarter or 3 quarters on the trot of good turnover for the UK doesnt mean anythign in terms of recovery!

The UK being debt free completely, whilst having enough gold to back its currency...thats RECOVERY

Something the UK will never get too unless it all comes tumbling down

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hahahaha, Printing money and creating inflation is not recovering. It’s the equivalent of pounding 10 cups of coffee and having an energy spike, only to crash 4 hours later and passout.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It's all rolled out to the people to shut up complaints however it is just more spin and tricks. Most of them will just accept it at face value and carry on as normal, feeling good about themselves. Remember the Government is not your friend nor are stats or polls. Not any of them reflect a realistic truth to the state of life.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I take it you did not read my post then, the BofE voted against any more Quantitative Easing by 9 votes to 0. That means we are no longer printing money to get ourselves out of the mess.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Beware of politicians who give you good news. Its usually because there is longer term bad news under the surface.

And the jobs being created are low skill and part time. Like Mcdonalds etc which whilst providing jobs damages the nations health and increases the NHS bill! Thats why 70% of folk in the US are Obese and we are maybe 10% behind them at mo.

When manufacturing and retail jobs go along with bank jobs then theres fun to come.

I said 2 years ago it would take at least 3 to 5 years for things to possibly start to recover.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tindalos2013
It's all rolled out to the people to shut up complaints however it is just more spin and tricks. Most of them will just accept it at face value and carry on as normal, feeling good about themselves. Remember the Government is not your friend nor are stats or polls. Not any of them reflect a realistic truth to the state of life.

Oh come on, are you one of these where if it is good news it is all lies and if it is bad news we are doomed?

These are statistics that are audited and verified by an independant agency to the government.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I was speaking to economist about this.

He was basically going about about how you have boom and dip cycles. We do really well, then boom theres a crash and the system resets. Everything then slowly climbs backup till we start crashing again.

The difference is this time, massive bailouts so the system hasn't had chance to reset properly, he seems to thing were due a big crash then we can recover.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tdk84

I would agree and i aint an economist. Let the whole thing fall to its knees...then re-build. That is recovery!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join