It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paint It Black: FBI Keeps Americans in Dark About GPS Tracking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Welcome to the American Police State.

Americans are being kept in the dark about how and why they are being followed by the nation's security agency. A civil liberties group in the U.S asked the FBI to spell out what techniques it's using when it tracks citizens - but as Gayane Chichakyan explains in her video report on RT, the reply raised more questions than answers.

What good is the FOIA if they can just black-out 100's of pages of information and there's nothing anyone can do about it? Where's the oversight? How can they be allowed to hide the circumstances of why they would follow an American citizen using GPS? This is outrageous! They can't tell us "why" or "how" they would use GPS to track us?
Obviously they're using our cell phones and internet presence to track us but NO information given when asked by the American Civil Liberties Union? The government is out of order and out of control!

Over 100 pages of black ink...only the title is visable. What a waste of tax-payers' money. Ink cartridges aren't cheap, ya know. That is insulting...and wrong!

I can see it now...armed drones cruising our skies, operator gives drone your social security number, drone locks on to your position using your cell phone and GPS satellites, drone hovers nearby verifying your identity using facial recognition technology and your government-issued I.D., and BOOM! Subject terminated.

edit on 23/1/13 by Phantasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
There you have it.. Obamas transparency at its finest and thats just a minor example... what a fraud

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I don't know why people even try anymore. It's as if they want to know the information simply because they have a right by law to have it. My question is, what would the average citizen do with all the information if the FBI were to be fully transparent with it? Not much IMO. It's not as if the average American is ever going to change their habits to circumvent being watched, because the average American, when you get right down to it, doesn't do anything overly wrong to where it's going to concern them so much as to change their way of life.

And if the FBI is concerned about the information getting into the wrong hands so the "enemy" can circumvent being spied on, the FBI is giving the "enemy" too much credit. No one in the rest of the world is enviable of our way of life. They don't hate us because because we're "better" then them. They hate us because we're a bunch of butinski's.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I would expect nothing less than this type of response from the government. Appalling, but not surprising.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantasm

I don't think we are exactly in the dark.

We are aware of surveillance techniques and were once dismayed to discover they might be used against Americans since like Hoover, but that is politics. Big brother. There's even a name for it. I think the answer is not to dismantle government that is in place to protect "the people" but like that dead spider that releases the worm after he dies in that youtube video - we have to rid our government of the worm.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Well, if I wasn't paranoid when I woke up this morning, I certainly am now.

This is beyond creepy!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This brings a whole new meaning to Wrong Number!!!
But even then they would not have to answer for killing the wrong person.
Mad dictator Obama can do ANY thing he likes.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
free citizens' access to this information should be less of a request, more of a demand.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I don't think the reason is that the government is hiding the technological details just to prevent criminal targets from using the knowledge to evade detection.

What if this technology was available to the highest bidder in the private sector? For example certainly those seeking to gain a financial edge would be interested in intercepting privileged planning information from their competition.

Reading encrypted messages and cloning cell phone traffic is already being done by hackers using off the shelf technology so the government doesn't want to give the hackers any more ideas.

A broadly worded FOIA request is not appropriate when the information may already be in the public domain. Perhaps you need to be more specific? For example an SUV carrying illegal drugs traveling under a power line delays the electrical current through the line more than the same SUV not carrying those illegal drugs. Could this be used as a form of real time "Global positioning"?

Too many secrets, the problem may just be that people are not being specific with their FOIA requests.

Who do you ask about classified compartmentalized knowledge?
edit on 23-1-2013 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Cauliflower

I don't know, I've heard of people not being specific in their FOIA requests and they'll receive a standard response at least. This is different. This is over 100 pages of a page-sized black square. The title of the GPS tracking procedures is the only words visable. No mention of getting a warrant before tracking someone...NOTHING!
We've been letting the government rape our liberties for far too long and now they have the gall to break any laws that are in place to protect our privacy rights, without any oversight.

The Congressional Oversight Committee needs to act on this and find out the facts on how the government goes about tracking citizens "legally" or "illegally". Many questions to ask.
edit on 23/1/13 by Phantasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Thanks for bringing this issue, The private sector is the one that creates the technology and runs it, that is a fact.

Information sells for the right amount of money.

We as a society have become addicted to technology and fancy gadgets to make our lives "easier" and be "accessible" by choice.

We are making that choice we are the ones that have given that right away anyway.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

You are right we do need to find out about this stuff, but its not going to happen. Congress isn't going to do anything to make the government more transparent. Obama obviously doesn't care telling everyone that he'd have a transparent administration. In fact this is a straight up lie that he told the American public and without batting an eye they reelected him to a second term.

I really hate when the government says they are looking out for my safety, it usually results in me losing freedoms or making my life harder for the few cases that they are protecting me for. The government is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The title of the GPS tracking procedures is the only words visable.

Don't know what to tell you, our government seems to want to keep all this Global positioning stuff super secret. Good example is the old Kryptos (hidden) sculpture in the old CIA court yard. The only reason it hasn't been completely solved is that its been hidden away back there and not too many people get a chance to see it.

This was his last message: x Thirty-eight degrees fifty-seven minutes six point five seconds North, seventy-seven degrees eight minutes forty-four seconds West. ID by rows."

Looks like that section has been updated due to a missing "X".

www.elonka.com...

Good place to start reading about global positioning.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Yeah, and they're using OUR tax money to pay for this sh**! We're paying THEM to spy on US
Its insane!

The bigger the government reach into our lives is, the more money they steal from our paychecks to pay for all those projects. There's so much waste in government. Now they're just going to raise the debt ceiling and tax us more to pay for more big brother government craziness.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I'm not concerned with the "how" as much as I am concerned with the "why". Wasteful spending, useless programs and departments that often overlap each other and accomplish nothing except more wasteful spending. We're $16.6+ trillion in debt...we cannot afford to let the government continue on this path.

The governments only job should be protecting our borders. Period.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It's pretty childish, is what it is!

Basically, showing her the metaphorical middle finger.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It's better/worse than you think.

The military has spent a lot of...effort...on tracking systems you wouldn't believe. I have to ponder on what I can say on that one, since we sort of work with those guys sometimes.

There are ways to track people/objects that don't require little GPS/GSM modules like the ones the Feds like to use. I'm fairly certain domestic agencies don't have that yet. Fairly.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Wanna not be tracked?
Buy yourself a MIAMobi sleeve for your Phone.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Wanna not be tracked?
Buy yourself a MIAMobi sleeve for your Phone.

I don't believe that blocks GPS signals. But worry not! These little babies will turn your personal space into a tank of privacy. They're a bit spendy and they will obviously render any Garmin or onstar system in your vehicle useless... but you have to break some eggs to make an omelette. As to cell signals, WiFi, EMF, etc These rock! Again, its a bit spendy, but well worth it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Russia today is were Americans are finding the simple cold hard truths.........We are screwed........The American dream is lost.

And guess what boys and girls it will only get worse as the progressive minded kids grow up and demand power. What will this country look like run by the everybody wins no one is a loser generation.
Heck most of them can not even work a part time job.

And we sit back and wonder why our freedoms slip slip away. We reap what we sow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join