It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The results of gun control in Australia - watch and weep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I know that ATS doesn't really need another thread on gun control. And I apologize for that. I'm getting pretty tired of seeing this topic myself. However, this video is too good of an example of the results of gun control not to have it's own thread. I hope you will watch it because it's definitely an eye opener.

It's a short six and a half minute video about what has happened in Australia after gun control laws went into effect. It first shows the destruction of weapons confiscated at gun buy backs. Thousands of rifles, shotguns and other weapons that people were forced to turn in or face criminal charges.

Then it talks about a few gun collectors who had to turn in their guns. They basically felt like the government stole their property. They had to give up their collection of guns or possibly go to prison. One of the men had been a gun collector for over 30 years. He obviously was not fully compensated for the loss of his property.

They then go on to show some of the crime statistics after their new laws took effect. I haven't taken the time to independently verify those statistics. But the video shows that there was a rise in gun deaths and other crimes across the board. The scariest affect was that home invasion crimes rose to levels previously unseen. Most of the people hadn't even heard of home invasion crimes. They have had to make news laws because the crime of home invasion was previously undefined.

This would most likely be the same results if America enacted similar gun control laws and tried to force people to turn in their weapons. The bad guys would have a free for all and certain crime rates would rise. I think this video needs to be seen. People who are interested in this debate need to be aware of the results that gun control laws have on the public.

Armed robberies up - 69%

Assualts with guns up - 28%

Gun murders up - 19%

Home invasions up - 21%

Gun Control in Australia - Watch and Weep

edit on 22-1-2013 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Did the Australian gov pay good money for the guns during the buy back?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
any ban or gun law is not for the people, but for the outlaws and any one whom plans on doing harm, for the laws all ready means nothing to them, but a land that has no self defense(guns) is ripe for the taking, plundering and murder that is sure to fallow!! As you know all to well.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

I can't answer that myself. Maybe, some fellow ATS'ers from Australia can help answer that.

Here's a quote from wikipedia

Unlike the voluntary buybacks in the United States, Australian gun buybacks of 1996 and 2003 were compulsory, compensated surrenders of newly-illegal firearms.

The 1996 Buyback took 600,000 newly illegal sporting firearms, including all semi-automatic rifles including .22 rim-fires, semi-automatic shotguns and pump-action shotguns. Because the Australian Constitution prevents the taking of property without just compensation the Federal Government decided to put a 1% levy on income tax for one year to finance the compensation. The buyback was predicted to cost A$500 million and had wide community support.[5]

The 2003 handgun buyback compensated the confiscation of about 50,000 newly illegal pistols, the majority being target arms of greater than 9mm caliber (generally used for IPSC competition), or smaller handguns with barrels less than 4" such as pocket pistols, which were mostly licensed for target use as since 1996 licenses cannot be issued for self-defense in Australia

edit on 22-1-2013 by MagicWand67 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

yes..
because we have been taken, plundered and murdered havent we.

what a load of crap!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
The entire premise behind taking away guns is flawed. Criminals do not care about laws the only thing it accomplishes is making law abiding citizens unable to defend against those criminals.

Australia doesn’t even have to contend with being bordered to a nation like Mexico yet crime and murder went up in their country after gun bans. We already have seen the results of such actions so what is the real reason people support such measures.

I say those who wish to disarm us are not motivated by saving lives they aren’t even trying to stop murders they are only squeamish about the methodology used to commit the murders. You can’t tell me you are trying to save lives not when I can still buy a pack of smokes in every store. People need to get over their fear of guns.

JAK

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Although the initial video seems to have been removed there is already a thread on this topic:

Please visit the above for further information and comment.

ATS Search
edit on 22/1/13 by JAK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join