It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Took this pic through my sons telescope, tonight jan. 21st 2013. Is this Jupiter upper left of moon?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Sorry moon is not clearer, however, the planet behind it seems to stand out pretty good. I read Jupiter was closest to moon tonight. Could this be it?? First time posting a pic, hope it works?? If anyone could actually put the pic up, that would be great! I was shocked I had even found this while reviewing pics.....
edit on 1/22/13 by j.r.c.b. because: Adding more info....

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
yep. I heard it's the closest it will appear to the moon until 2026.
That's a pretty nice pic you have of it.
edit on 22-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

NOt sure..could definitely be..i see awhat seem to be a planet with the moon...ill venture Jupiter and and the moon
edit on 22-1-2013 by wildapache because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
yep. I heard it's the closest it will appear to the moon until 2026.
That's a pretty nice pic you have of it.
edit on 22-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

TY! It was a total fluke. I was just messing around, trying to get best pics, had NO idea about Jupiter being closest to moon, until I looked it up AFTER I already took pic to find out what it was. Just wish I could get a clearer pic of the moon. It looks so good through the scope, but trying to take the pics...geez....so hard!!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Hmm, I dunno, that could be anything.
Going by your words, that's the moon. I dunno.

Looks like a light to me, so given this, it could be anything really

On second look, if you are referring to the small semi sphere to the left, I doubt it's a planet as if it was then it is being illuminated by our moon. Doesn't happen from our perspective.

Seems more like lens flare off the very bright and out of focus 'moon'.

edit on 22-1-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Hmm, I dunno, that could be anything.
Going by your words, that's the moon. I dunno.

Looks like a light to me, so given this, it could be Jupiter. Or anything really

haha Im not offering anything useful I guess. Hope the pic embeds for you.

edit on 22-1-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

Appreciate that!! Yes, sorry, it's the moon, I'm just learning how to do pics through the scope using my ipad. I just checked with my sons thermal binoculars & I can also see Jupiter with those too. I had to set it to night vision ghosting, and the thermal setting. Again, I am so sorry the moon didnt come out as it looked through scope. I'll need more practice!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Darn it!! Just lens flare?! Well that's disappointing!! I thought I really got lucky & caught a crazy fluke! Lol...glad I brought it to the more knowledgeable crowd. Whatever it is or isn't, thanks for the input

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

No need to apologise mate, it's a better effort than I can get. Mind you I can't afford anything decent, so I have to rely on others to post observations.

I hope someone with a better understanding of how things should appear can offer an opinion too, I can't see how the moon could possible illuminate part of a planet other than the Earth and be an observable object in the night sky next to the same moon. But if you can see it otherwise, then
I dunno.

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by j.r.c.b.
reply to post by winofiend

Darn it!! Just lens flare?! Well that's disappointing!! I thought I really got lucky & caught a crazy fluke! Lol...glad I brought it to the more knowledgeable crowd. Whatever it is or isn't, thanks for the input

As I say, that's just my initial thought after looking closer.

(didn't notice you didn't catch the edit till I replied lol)

Since you say you can see it with binoculars also, I'd say it can't be lens flare.

I'll go back to watching now

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It took me a good hour trying to take pics through the scope with an ipad & probably about 60 pics. It's really hard and frustrating to do, but this was the best pic I could get. I still can't figure out what I did wrong because looking through the scope, the moon looked good & clear, but trying to get the pictures, very difficult.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
It is Jupiter. Quite a sight isn't it. It has been partially cloudy here tonight so I have not gotten any good views. Here is some info that may help.

www.spaceweather.com...

When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look east. The Moon and Jupiter are shining through the twilight side by side. Most sky watchers will see the two bright bodies just a fraction of a degree apart. Observers in parts of South America will witness an even closer encounter--an occultation, in which the Moon passes directly in front of Jupiter. [Sky map]

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
It is Jupiter. Quite a sight isn't it.
No, I don't think it's Jupiter. I think the previous discussion is right about it being a lens flare.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Sorry it's a lens flare this is what Jupiter looks like next to the Moon a tiny dot!

With a more powerful scope

edit on 22-1-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

Excuse my naivity here, but how does a clearly defined sphere appear as a result of a lense flare? Like, wouldnt it appear as a blurred out shape with that kind of sun rays effect? I am sorry, but I have a lack of understanding when it comes to the mechanics of a camera and how seemingly solid shapes can appear a result of a lense flare.

Please illuminate me on the basics of that occurance if you dont mind. I hear that explination alot, and I never have quite understood it.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
When Jupiter is next to the Moon, you can see it clearly with the naked eye (as a very very bright "star"). In your picture, it might be Jupiter, or it might not, the pic is just too blurry.

You can always download Stellarium for any future enquiries, it shows you what's up in the sky above your location: www.stellarium.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
It's a disappointment, but I do believe its lens flair, as most of you said. Still looks neat!
thanks all for the input.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283
reply to post by wmd_2008

Excuse my naivity here, but how does a clearly defined sphere appear as a result of a lense flare? Like, wouldnt it appear as a blurred out shape with that kind of sun rays effect? I am sorry, but I have a lack of understanding when it comes to the mechanics of a camera and how seemingly solid shapes can appear a result of a lense flare.

Please illuminate me on the basics of that occurance if you dont mind. I hear that explination alot, and I never have quite understood it.

Please look at the picture again the LARGE OVEREXPOSED blob of light is the moon the little lens flare above and to the left is what the OP thought was Jupiter hope that explains it.

Go to Google images type in lens flare you will see all shapes sizes and colours many factors decide how a flare will look from the construction of the lens to the angle the light hits it at etc etc.

For example

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

If you are keen to get better pictures you can get gadgets to connect the i-phone to the telescope see here

darkskydiary.wordpress.com...

You can get quite good results as shown in link above!!

Sorry not sure now if you used an iphone or not but you get similar brackets for phones small cameras etc.
Re read your posts an i-pad would not be ideal but you get the idea.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Here's a great video of last night's conjunction. If that was more or less what you saw through the telescope, then it was Jupiter. www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Please look at the picture again the LARGE OVEREXPOSED blob of light is the moon the little lens flare above and to the left is what the OP thought was Jupiter hope that explains it.

Go to Google images type in lens flare you will see all shapes sizes and colours many factors decide how a flare will look from the construction of the lens to the angle the light hits it at etc etc.

For example

I see. Though I do understand that this is most likely a lens flare, I am still not seeing how that shape to the upper-left of the moon is one of them. I googled 'lens flare" and saw countless examples, none of which were completely opaque, and none of them had that look that makes the spehere look like it is being illuminated by the object in question. I do realize I am explaining my concerns poorly, but I do hope you understand. Also, please see that I am not trying to insinuate anything at all, I am just a little confused and curious.

So, if you could provide an example of how something can produce that same effect as a result of a lens flare, I would be much appriciative, thanks. If not, that is fine. I am just one that must completely understand something before I decide to move on, cant stand not knowing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join