It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Asteriod mining venture set to be onveiled Tuesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
www.space.com...

Anyone heard of this? Appearantly, another company is vying for resources in Asteroids. It's not exactly clear what the estimated time frame is for when this new venture will begin, however, the plan is to mine Asteroids for precious metals and water.

I say it's about time someone did this. Water can be used to make Rocket fuel for Space fuel Depots and really bring down the cost(s) for Space travel. As you all know, fuel is one of the most expensive parts of Space travel to begin with. A fuel Depot is a good start but it will get even better when Spaceship are constructed either on the Moon or in near Earth orbit in L3. Welcome to the 21st century.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

OOps! Meant to say unveiled not onveiled.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
looks like a rollercoaster ride!

I don't get it will it attach to the asteroid and then float along with it all fast like? Or will it like stop it and get it to orbit the earth or something so they can stay close?

Who the hell would work on this thing.. I certainly would not apply for that job.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
When I saw "new" I thought who's the first?

Then I read the article.
It would be something to see achieved.

The competitor, Planetary Resources announced a similar project a few months ago...

Planetary Resources' advisers include filmmaker and adventurer James Cameron

I say Cameron will make the first sci-fi movie IN space!

Back on topic, I suppose the humans that would go there mining would be robot assisted. I can't imagine humans landing on an asteroid, unless it is a lone one, not one from the belt...

Now let's hope one of these companies really accomplishes it!

Also in the article there, is a link to another one that talks about the legal aspects of mining asteroids, who does it belong too, etc.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
well it belongs to america of course.. and if they don't like it then we shall squash them like cockroaches and invade the meteor and take all of the gold and oil and anything else we want!!! mUHAHAHAHHA...

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
If this gets rolling then I'd say in 10 to 20 yrs there will be a strong presence in Space by humans between Orbital tourism and the Mars One colony. Darn it! I should've started my Space tourism company so that I could get in on the Space-rush that's about to begin! Now we need to develop new propulsion systems like V.A.S.M.I.R. or the like so that we can start exploring the solar system. Space exploration will really change things here on Earth and it will open up a whole new world in the sciences and technology.

top topics

join