It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serious Help Needed: Drivers not updating, MS update not installing, Won't do System Resotre.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CthulhuMythos

If the yellow warning triangle isnt showing up that awesome

XP should make a restore point automatically every 24 hrs but at the same time you should also have the option to set one at any time.

I cant think of any reason why haven't got that option off the top of my head, ill check it out tomorrow morning. I'm really having to dust off my MCP skills here , I've been working on windows 7 for the last couple of years so I'm a bit rusty.

edit on 23-1-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

You are doing just fine! And a zillion times better than I can do

Spoke too soon about the yellow shield. Can't understand why it didn't show up yesterday after all the re-boots but it is now back and still not installing the 1.1 , any idea what 1.1 is needed for? It is interesting that that is one of the ones that the other pc won't instal either.

I am more concerned about not being able to go back to a previous restore point than being able to make one of my own choice. What would cause the pc to not be able to do a restore? I know it used to be able to as I have done it in the past.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Thanks , there is a page about this problem at support.microsoft that might help you : support.microsoft.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Thank you, will have a read tomorrow, I'm bloody frozen sitting here and need to hit the sack as I have a LOT to get through tomorrow.
TTFN

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I always make a new back up every week by making an image. I actually make 2 at the same time because once I needed it when I had a bad virus and the image didn't work as it was corrupted so always make 2. I have both on seperate external,hard drives and have been glad of them in the past...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I have no idea what that is or how to do that. Is it some sort of copy of your whole hard drive?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

ok, finally after a disastrous weekend (not pc wise but irl wise) I have finally had a look at the .net framework 1 issue again.
I started doing the steps given in the linky that you posted but although I can remove the framework 1, the .net framework 2 which is also installed is not removable due to it being used or needed by other programmes (a message came up to tell me this).
Also I have .net framework 3, 3.5 and 4 installed and the article didn't say anything about those.

I didn't want to just carry on with the deleting of the keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup

and the files/folders

URTTemp
Mscoree.dll

In case that screwed up the .net framework 2, 3, 3.5 and 4 ,since they had not been removed.

What advice can you offer about this?

Finally, any solution for the not being able to do a system restore? or is that all mixed in and related to the .net framework 1 issue?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
So where are you at?
What exactly is the issue at the moment?
Are you purely trying to remove .net framework or reinstall it, or are you getting errors because something wont let you use it?

What time zone are you in? I can U2U you if you want to do some tech support via email.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Hi CthulhuMythos, sorry to hear you had a bad weekend. I found the automated removal tool for the .net framework that i mentioned in an earlier post. You might want to have a look at it

blogs.msdn.com...

We can have a look st the system restore next as its better to do one thing at a time.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

yeah the issue is that I had two updates that would not install. I tried uninstalling them and re-installing them but they still would not install then one did install but another new one came out and that didn't install so was left with two that didn't. I tried uninstalling them all so I could start again with all of them but two would not uninstall because it was needed by other programmes or something like that. Anyway PhoenixOD has been giving me lots of pointers. I am in the UK btw.

I have actually just finished an update check and updated the ones that were on the list and amazingly they all updated ok with none left over. I hadn't done the full uninstall tool thing as yet so not really sure why they now managed to install.

Still don't know if I can do a system restore or not yet. Kinda afraid to try in case it lets me and I restore it to a point back to where things were not working properly.

Annoyingly I have discovered something else but not sure if it is .NET related or not and that is that when I open a folder which contains video files I keep getting a message up saying explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sometimes I also get the 'de bugger' has to close page up too. This can only be resolved by going into the task manager and ending task for the folder that is not responding, which in turn closes all explorer windows that are open. Have no idea how to tackle that one.
edit on 31-1-2013 by CthulhuMythos because: ye old brain cells forgot a bit!

edit on 31-1-2013 by CthulhuMythos because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2013 by CthulhuMythos because: Major Edit: Gaaah spoke too soon AGAIN! The yellow shield is not popping up to keep telling me I need an update but after doing a manual update check and install of the .NET 1.1 it seems that it is still not wanting to install. Going to try the tool you pointed me to PhoenixOD and see if that fixes it.

Major Edit: Gaaah spoke too soon AGAIN! The yellow shield is not popping up to keep telling me I need an update but after doing a manual update check and install of the .NET 1.1 it seems that it is still not wanting to install. Going to try the tool you pointed me to PhoenixOD and see if that fixes it.

edit on 31-1-2013 by CthulhuMythos because: I stupidly typed the major edit in the 'reason for edit' box.... god I am losing the plot tonight!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Windows Restore and Windows Update require free hard-drive space. Although I doubt that's the problem, sometimes the simplest things are the solution. Make sure you have around 10 gigs of free hard-drive space. Also if you have an actual copy of your operating system, sometimes system file checker will do amazing things. I think in winXP you can run it by just doing, start - run - then typing SFC in the command line and hitting ok. If for some reason that doesn't work, you can do a search for cmd and then run it as admin. (right click on it and select run as admin or run elevated) then you can type SFC in the command window. It will give you a small help dialog on how to execute the command. You will need a copy of the operating system. Also, most motherboards have a setting in the BIOS for legacy USB support. This will usually allow a USB keyboard or mouse to function outside of windows. I would highly recommend a cheap 5 or 10 dollar PS/2 keyboard as a backup. (assuming you have a ps2 keyboard port on the back of the motherboard.) If you are uninstalling software you might try an uninstaller program that will remove stuff that normal uninstalls leave behind. www.revouninstaller.com...
I've also found that spybot does a pretty good job for malware and spyware removal. Just a couple of suggestions that might be a bit outside the box. Good luck.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Whats the format of the video files are causing explorer to crash?

Ill check on solutions for the system restore problem in the morning.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I don't know because whenever I just open the folder containing anything of that nature it freezes with the message saying it needs to close. It is even doing it with videos that worked np in the past. Could it have anything to do with the .NET issue?

Oh and I did the whole delete tool thing for that, had a hell of a time finding the updates to reinstall, on the microsoft page there were more than one with the same name so not sure which to pick. In the end I picked one and then then yellow shield started coming up again so I installed them one by one in order, though I am still left with the .Net 1.1 not installing.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Thought you said you had all the .net updates installed ok in the end? Or did the yellow shield pop up again?

Ive seen the 'explorer crashing with video folders' before. Can you boot into safe mode and try to access the folders and see if they still crash explorer?

edit on 1-2-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I have no idea what that is or how to do that. Is it some sort of copy of your whole hard drive?

You can easily make a complete image using Norton Ghost or Acronis that works with XP.
I use windows 7 Ultimate that has an image built into it for a back up if required which I use.
Ones I mentioned are basically the same as they restore your PC or laptop to the same condition as when you made it. So if you ever have problems like you have or say a bad virus,,then this wipes all that out and gives you a clean machine with all your drivers etc when you made the image.
I would never not have a back up on mine. Doesn't take too long to make one. Gives you the option to make it on DVDs or external hard drive but DVDs are partial to fail so I never use them for this.
Google them and you will see what I mean about making an image.
Won't,help you right now as you don't have one, but if you intend to,re install or upgrade to windows 7 say, then this will stop you getting the problems you have right now. Bit like system restore, but this can go,back in time to,whenever you made it and not just a few hours but months or even years...
There are other programmes as well as these that do the same job and some are free as well if you look.
Meant to say, yes, it's a complete copy of your hard drive.
edit on 1-2-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RightInTwo
'A whole nother'
I hear this phrase time and time again, it's not even correct grammer. Theres 'Another whole' but 'WHOLE NOTHER' makes absolutely no sense.

You are absolutely right, I read what you posted and firstly thought ' not heard that one before' then I thought 'what?' totally does not make any sense at all.

Originally posted by minkmouse
People who substitute the word "Anywho" for "Anyhow"...Can you spell SHEEP! GGrrrrrr!

Is that not more a Scottish spoken kind of a thing? Where the 'how' becomes 'hoo' rather than 'who' like the slang term for cow can be coo or brown can be broon.
Usually 'anyhoo' is usually a lighter substitute for 'anyway' where there maybe a little awkwardness in the conversation, for example when a couple are attracted to each other but it is time to part though neither of them really wants to but someone has to say it is time to go, one might say 'well, anyhoo..... I better be off', at least that is the way I have heard it used, you might be talking about something totally different of course.

Originally posted by michael1983l
ooh oooh ooh I got one I really hate.
Second line.

hmm me no understandie the 'second line' phrase. What is that and when do people use it?

Originally posted by Arashikage
YOLO means You Only Live Once and was coined by an artist named Drake. Its been done to death though and is now HIGHLY annoying.

Thank you for clearing that up, I was kind of wondering what it meant too!

Originally posted by SheopleNation
"sorry, my bad".

'my bad' is quite a strange one, has taken me quite a long time to get used to that one and not think 'for God sake just speak properly!' when people have said it.

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Another one:
ORIENTATE
Not a word, people. Orient, oriented, orientation.
Think - Class, classify, classification. You do not classificate something, why would you want to orientate it, too?

I think ex president Bush could classificate something.

Damn that is funny, and I agree!

Originally posted by knowledgedesired
IMO your a racist because you don't like words used by groups outside of your own and you already label someone just by the way they speak

I don't understand, how can not liking the sound or usage of a word, within or outwith your social group be deemed as racist?

What I hate is the misuse of the term 'racist' when the situation, discussion or conflict has absolutely nothing to do with race whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Here this will fix your problem easily. Easy XP driver fix

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I thought so too when the yellow shields had stopped popping up, but when I did an update check it still came up with the 1.1 needing to be installed.

Could this be a Microsoft cock up? or is it just me who has this problem?
edit on 1-2-2013 by CthulhuMythos because: total mix up with two threads.. what is going on???

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by CyberneticProphet

Thank you for the link, but I don't see where it says XP driver fixes. Seems to be a page about selling windows 8.
Did I miss something on the page?

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Big apologies for a post that somehow got put in this thread and not in the one I was trying to post it into. By the time I realised that this had happened I could not edit the post and take it out. Still baffled as to how it happened.

Anyway, I have checked and it seems that it is .avi vids that are crashing explorer, however, .avi vids that are home made ones seem to be ok.
Not yet checked it whilst in safe mode, will get back to you on that once I have checked it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join