It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma lawmaker: Let businesses fire cigarette smokers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

If you live in Oklahoma and smoke cigarettes, look out: a local lawmaker is pushing a bill that would let companies fire smokers in order to save on health care costs. State Sen. David Hold (R) authored Senate Bill 327 after discovering that Oklahoma law actually protects smokers from workplace discrimination.

Nice. More Obamacare blowback.

www.rawstory.com...

Friesen says the bill could face a lot of resistance.

Many smokers say it just wouldn’t be fair.

Sen. Holt said, “I don’t really think this is about smokers. I think it’s about businesses being able to make decisions that affect their bottom line.”

He says the rights of Oklahoma businesses need to be protected as well.

He said, “Forcing employers to compensate or provide benefits to smokers at the exact same rates as they do their non-smoking employees. It’s just not fair to employers.”

The bill has a long way to go before becoming law.

It has to make its way through a committee before getting to a vote on the Senate floor.

kfor.com... mwQa+%28KFOR+-+Local+News%29

Personally, I'd be more in favor of firing liberals instead of smokers, unless of course they smoke and are a liberal too. Pick your reason, employers. ANYTHING to deal with the consequences of increased costs from Obamacare. In a right to work state they can have any reason they want to.

Why do I feel that way? Because liberal policies are the things that started this mess in the first place. SO MAKE THEM PAY, dammit. With their jobs.
It's time consequences finally hit home, and came home to roost. YOU wanna keep putting these people in the WH, then YOU pay for it. And I don't see anything that is political trolling about that. It's my opinion, and I am entitled to it.
edit on Mon Jan 21st 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Personally, I'd be more in favor of firing liberals instead of smokers, unless of course they smoke and are a liberal too.

You just want the people who did this to take responsibility. What happened to the other thread on those liberals getting fired? Anyways, it really sucks that so many people are going to lose their jobs, but nothing can stop it. All they want to do is spend, and then raise taxes so high everyone lives in poverty while they live lavishly. It is almost like the French Revolution in a sense that the cost of all the crap they have to have. Its like Michelle is Marie Antoinette and Obama is Louis

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I agree with you.....that is what is going to happen now that government controls healthcare. Death panels are real, food will be banned and people with unhealthy lifestyles will be fired.

So what about people with high BMI?

Those who participate in extreme sports?

Those who drink?

Will OnStar turn us in for driving dangerously?

How about people who live in dirty conditions?

Have onenight stands?

At least when the insurance companies were in control, they did it in a logical manner......you smoke you pay higher rates.......heck my husband even paid more because he's a cop.

I prefer the capitalist way, thank you very much.
edit on 21-1-2013 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Next it'll be Fire those who dont eat healthily, then there's those who dont exercise enough, and what about those who dont go to bed early enough!!!
All these things could be implied to cost the company money.

Enough of this MADNESS!!

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

1/2 a million people die every year on average because of cigarette smoke.
Some 50K of those people who die from cigarette smoke were killed by second hand smoke.

But with that tidbit of info aside, why should anyone be forced to pay more for someone who is doing something that will eventually kill them? Or may even kill someone else.

Your freedoms begin where mine end. And vice a versa.
Your freedom to smoke shouldn't overlap my freedom to breath clean air.
edit on 21-1-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Did you read my reply?

Where does it end?

And during the times of private healthcare, smokers paid higher rates.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Well are we finally seeing some sort of move to consistent 'drug' testing at the work place?

That is my first thought. And it's not one of hurray.

They will next say that if you eat meat, then you're a potential obesity problem, and not worth the employment risk.

You can thank the ignorant regulations that have been in effect for decades for this, that millions of people have been persecuted over, that not a single one of you who now raise your arms, ever cared about. Indeed most of the people who now scream 'discrimination' were once eating your beef, smoking your cigar, and quaffing your brandy while tipping your nose at the scumbags who deserve it for a vice that had no impact on their work ethic or performance.

Wow, two things in one year.

2012 really was the end of the world as we knew it.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Employers should be allowed to fire ANYONE under their employ for whatever reason. It is, afterall, their money and their business. Unfortunately, the law has created "protected classes" of citizens, which is somehow supposed to relate to equality through mandating certain groups with unequal rights and protections. IMO, until such a day comes when an employer can fire ANYONE on their payroll for any reason they see fit, then they shouldn't be allowed to fire anyone without just cause. Being a smoker isn't just cause.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

All those points you listed above have been discriminated before in the past.
maybe not by the government but by other people.

However businesses already discriminate against people who may not be suitable for a job position.

It's funny how many people are pro business when they close a factory and ship those jobs to China or india to cut costs and improve the bottom line.
But oh no! Don't be firing people for being smokers..... taking away our rights. We'll show them what for!
But you don't realize you're rights are already taken away. Have been for a long time.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by T4NG0
Personally, I'd be more in favor of firing liberals instead of smokers, unless of course they smoke and are a liberal too.

You just want the people who did this to take responsibility. What happened to the other thread on those liberals getting fired? Anyways, it really sucks that so many people are going to lose their jobs, but nothing can stop it. All they want to do is spend, and then raise taxes so high everyone lives in poverty while they live lavishly. It is almost like the French Revolution in a sense that the cost of all the crap they have to have. Its like Michelle is Marie Antoinette and Obama is Louis

(self edit- staff actions are not discussed publicly. Now that you know the reason, I removed that paragraph)

Yeah it sucks that so many people are going to lose their jobs, and especially when an unintended consequence from our hairbrained lawmakers rears its ugly head. It is forcing divides in this country that were in the private sector to now be governmental mandates. It's just plain stupid, and the medical community is going to pay too.
edit on Mon Jan 21st 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
well if as in the other thread stated before being 404ed....i guess it would be legal to fire smokers just like in atwill states its legal to fire people for their political beliefs as smokers are not a protected class same for peoples political views

shady yes but evidently completely legal

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
You realize if this is allowed, firing smokers. It will quickly include people with Heart Disease, Cancer, and other forms of illnesses that will require Health Care.

Sorry OP, this will include GOP Personal as well.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
You do a good job, I don't like your face though, so feck off.
You do a good job, I don't like your face, and you smoke, so feck off.
You do a good job these last 30 years, but you smoke and time to go, so feck off.
You do a good job.......... but I found out you're Gay/Muslim/Buddhist, hrrrump and you smoke, so feck off.
You are all of the above, and my daughter fancies you, and you fancy her, so feck off!
Now, where's me pipe.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
so, let me get this striaght, if you're republican, white, christian, good looking, non-smoking, in great shape, not too old, smart, subserviant....you have the "right stuff" to hold on to your job in america....but if you can find a person in china that smokes, is unhealthy, a maoist, ugly, old, dumb....BUT.....work for 50 cents a day, that's one hell of an employee!!!!
edit on 21-1-2013 by jimmyx because: add on

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

kind of ironic that obama care prohibits denying some one care for a "preexisting condition" yet they try to deny smokers because they smoke( a pre existing condition) wonder how this will end up but as the law stands now i THINK they can legaly do this at least until new laws are passed or more classes are added to the protected class list

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

We already limit Felons, people with bad credit in certain high security jobs or jobs who are federal contractors.
If you steal from the company don't you get fired?
If you come in and sleep at your desk every day. You get fired.
If you drink on the job you get fired.
Diddle your secretary and you can get fired.

People get fired every day in this country for doing stupid crap.
It's nothing new.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Isn't there a provision in Obamacare that states something like "The company you work has to cover a pre-existing condition"? I believe in the past companies did not have to cover pre-existing conditions.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

...just saying.
edit on 21-1-2013 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2013 by wdkirk because: added a source

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I do believe that Obama is still a smoker so I doubt we will see any new laws or executive orders relating to that area, but then again who knows "shrugs"

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I'm a retailer, I pay the rent, insurance, taxes, workmans comp, etc. It's my business and if I don't like the way you comb your goddamn hair it's my business and you work for ME. Do what I tell you or look for another goddamn job and don't expect a recommendation.

I don't hire smokers, junkies, drunks, thieves or right wing idiots. I call who you list on your application. Listen to Rush at home!
No one tells me how to conduct MY business!! Capitalism and free enterprise at it's finest!

case closed.

edit on 21-1-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Boy am I glad I don't work for YOU.

<<   2  3 >>

join