It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist seeks surrogate mother for Neanderthal baby

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Scientist seeks surrogate mother for Neanderthal baby

news.ninemsn.com.au

A Harvard scientist is reportedly looking for an "adventurous woman" to give birth to the first Neanderthal baby in 30,000 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
So any takers?
Before saying yes please look at the differences between Human and neanderthal birth canals.

I was kinda on the fence as to whether this is Cool or evil but then I read this from the article

"Let's say someone has a healthy, normal Neanderthal baby," he told Bloomberg Businessweek last year. "Well, then, everyone will want to have a Neanderthal kid.

Wrong, just plain wrong

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20/1/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

That's just a bad idea. Women have trouble having kids as it is. That would most certainly have to be a c-section. And this is assuming the body even takes it considering the difference in genetic material.

Ethically this wouldn't pass the muster. There are very few boards who would be ok with this kind of scheme. It wouldn't be a craze, the poor child would be treated a freak. Not ok, don't play with people's lives like that.
edit on 20-1-2013 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
On the one hand, I can see the scientific value in having a living neanderthal to study and observe. On the other hand, how heartless and cruel to bring this creature into the modern world to be treated as a freak, and a lab rat. Any woman who goes for this must be out of her mind.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Yeah, that summed up my feelings pretty well. It is kinda messed up.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I can just picture all of the Hollywood starlets walking about with baby Neanderthals a few years from now.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

NICE!

I wish I had ovaries.......I totally would.

I also want a star child baby....

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Before saying yes please look at the differences between Human and neanderthal birth canals.

A caesarean section would most likely be performed.

As for the freak comments. That's an assumption. It could go that direction or it could be that the neanderthal becomes a revered celebrity. That lab rat concern... that's interesting! Would laws in place protect or would new laws need to be written?
edit on 20-1-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

exactly, he would have his life solved. He would be important and comfortable.

Also people fail to realize that he would be AS INTELLIGENT as us if not more due to his/her larger brain. He would not be a partial ape. He would be able to do everything you and I can.

It has been proven that they used every tool we did and probably had complex language and social structure as well.

He/ she would be playing Xbox, using a computer, and riding a skateboard. Then he/she would go to college and speak about his peoples misrepresentation in history and possibly be a note worthy mind due to all the advantages he would get as a singular person in the world....

I am for it....I wish I could birth him/ her....

Ladies, it is up to you....do it for LIFE. Let his people live again.

edit on 20-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Yeah right, they would probably just dissect the first few to have real life neandrathal organs to display

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's worth noting that every person of non-African ancestry alive today has at least SOME Neanderthal DNA in their makeup. Yeah, including YOU. So to anybody saying that a human woman wouldn't be able to birth a Neanderthal child is just plain wrong - it's happened before, time and time again.

They were, after all, not incredibly different than we are today. Indeed, I suspect that an adult Neanderthal walking around any city on Earth wouldn't have a great deal of difficulty blending into a crowd.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
this is what we are talking about. NOT that big a deal

they probably interbred with us anyways. It is not like it is THAT far off from what happened in nature anyways.

Also how would this sort of person be treated anything less than human?

edit on 20-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Email him and ask maybe?

arep.med.harvard.edu...

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

As for the freak comments. That's an assumption. It could go that direction or it could be that the neanderthal becomes a revered celebrity. That lab rat concern... that's interesting! Would laws in place protect or would new laws need to be written?

An assumption based on observational experience of how humans treat those who are different. And would he/she be a revered celebrity based merely on what he/she is? Or based on who he/she is?

Good question on the laws. My guess is those who brought he/she to life would try to get a patent. Just like Monsanto wants to patent everything organic it can get its hands on.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Well, considering there are many humans out there thought of and or treated as less than humans, I don't see it being that much of a stretch. Maybe it's just the unknown being scary, but I am apprehensive at the idea.

It kind of reminds me of these people I heard of, that wanted to have a few babies, keep them isolated in mini environments, just to see how they would develop. Not talk to them etc, just to see what would happen. Seems really cruel.
edit on Sun, 20 Jan 2013 20:44:17 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join