It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution paths on different planets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
If AND i mean IF...

There are other planets out there that have same conditions as earth, and it is quite probable as there are so many planets. Therefore if life started on earth by natural evolution over millions of years then it is likelt that the same thing happened on other planets.

So as we started of with dinoaurs being the dominant species earth like wise other earth like planets would have had dinosaurs as the dominant species.

But evolution or the natural progression was altered by the extinction event asteroid hitting Earth. BUT the thing is that the other earth like planets would NOT have all been hit by a deadly asteroid.

What this means is that on those OTHER planets the dinosaurs would not hve become extinct due to asteoid impact and the natural evolution of dinosaurs would have continued to this day and they would probably still be the dominant species. Now on earth we saw the evolution of dinosaurs from walking on all fours to walking on two legs and using arms for handling, eating etc... this seems to give an advantage on land. SO this would have continued on those planets. So in this time on those hypothetical planets the dinosuars would have evolved into humanoid like creatures and be highly intelligent, more intelligent then any human being at this time. ALSO they would be way more advanced than us as they have a head start in technology.

Also when we see dinosaurs on earth we se so much more diversity, so on those planets now it is likeyl that there would be more diversity of intelligent dinosaurs, unlike with humans where we have just colour of skin, language, hair colour, size etc..

Would it just be limited to land creatures?

The dinosaurs on earth had evolved as flying creatures, and they say the modern birds descend from them. So we could theorise that these other planets could easily have intelligent flying humanoids as wings and flying to give an evolutionary advantage.

Also a question, at the time of dinosaurs on earth there would have been sea creatures, what happened to these creatures why did they not evolve into inteligent creatures?

Is this a plausible theory?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
We didn't evolve from from what most people this we did(dumb ape men). There is so much proof that extremely intelligent beings lived on this planet more then 50,000 years ago.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I like the idea of your theory, But i do not believe that the dinosaurs would have evolved into intelligent creature such as we humans are for a number of reasons, 1. We have animals on this planet that have been around alot longer than humans and have never evolved into a state where they are intelligent. 2. Birds descend from feathered dinosaurs which means by your theory our birds should be intelligent. 3. Different planets will have started at different times which gives them a different timeline, Also they may rotate a lot faster than our own planet which means days would be shorter or if they rotated slower they would be longer which would give drastically different conditions on that planet than what we have here.

I do like some of the points you make however. But i believe that if the dinosaurs were on another planet and there was no asteroid strike then it means that the humans would have had a lot more to compete with than our own meaning they would have probably adapted and advanced quicker.

But nice post.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
primates arent dumb. see chimpanzees etc.. who can use computers to do basic tasks, its just they lack the ability to go further in terms of iq.

maybe some of use did evolve from dinos' who knows..

But in most modern society anything that is different to the norm or the majority is exiled or outcasted. So anything different regardless if intelligent or not would be away from modern civilazation.

The focus of the thoery is that dinosaurs could have evolved into the dominant intelligent species on earrthand other earth like planets if the asteroid did not hit earth

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rkingpin

Yes but if dominant species was dinosaurs then there would be no what we 'classify' as intelligent life on the planet. Because as history dictates none of our native species some as old as the dinosaurs have advanced to that level, So what makes you think they would on another planet ?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rkingpin

So as we started of with dinoaurs being the dominant species earth like wise other earth like planets would have had dinosaurs as the dominant species.
Some sort of life..... somewhere... out there.... Seems highly likely.
BUT there is no reason to assume that their evolutionary chain would be closely similar to ours.

After all, that's what evolution is: Change brought about through adapting to one's environment. Things that could be viewed as being minor differences in an environment, very well could have led to major differences in the evolution of the life-forms within that environment.

But evolution or the natural progression was altered by the extinction event asteroid hitting Earth. BUT the thing is that the other earth like planets would[color=FFB675]MAY* NOT have all been hit by a deadly asteroid.

What this means is that on those OTHER planets the dinosaurs would[color=FFB675]MAY* not hve become extinct due to asteoid impact and the natural evolution of dinosaurs would[color=FFB675]MAY* have continued to this day and they would probably[color=FFB675]MAY* still be the dominant species.
Or they may have killed each other off in various other ways. I bet they had quite a large appetite. To me, it seems possible that if the dinosaurs had survived and thrived, they may have been able to drain this planet of resources even quicker than we humans are.

edit on 1/20/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie
I like the idea of your theory, But i do not believe that the dinosaurs would have evolved into intelligent creature such as we humans are for a number of reasons, 1. We have animals on this planet that have been around alot longer than humans and have never evolved into a state where they are intelligent. 2. Birds descend from feathered dinosaurs which means by your theory our birds should be intelligent. 3. Different planets will have started at different times which gives them a different timeline, Also they may rotate a lot faster than our own planet which means days would be shorter or if they rotated slower they would be longer which would give drastically different conditions on that planet than what we have here.

I do like some of the points you make however. But i believe that if the dinosaurs were on another planet and there was no asteroid strike then it means that the humans would have had a lot more to compete with than our own meaning they would have probably adapted and advanced quicker.

But nice post.

how do you know they arent intelligent?

They have evolved more than us in terms of what they actually need to function and survive. So actually they are more evoled and adapted to the environment than we are.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

There are other planets out there that have same conditions as earth, and it is quite probable as there are so many planets.

That is not how probability works, but fine, let's assume.

Therefore if life started on earth by natural evolution over millions of years then it is likelt that the same thing happened on other planets.

It is likely if the conditions are the same.

Hmm..?
Are you talking about an exact copy of the Earth?
Otherwise, no.

But evolution or the natural progression was altered by the extinction event asteroid hitting Earth. BUT the thing is that the other earth like planets would NOT have all been hit by a deadly asteroid.

Okay, not exact copy of earth. Then no, dinosaurs is not "expected".
Wouldn't it be easier to just assume that we lived on earth and the asteroid did not hit us?

What this means is that on those OTHER planets the dinosaurs would not hve become extinct due to asteoid impact and the natural evolution of dinosaurs would have continued to this day and they would probably still be the dominant species.

Throughout millions of years? Why would that be?

So in this time on those hypothetical planets the dinosuars would have evolved into humanoid like creatures and be highly intelligent, more intelligent then any human being at this time. ALSO they would be way more advanced than us as they have a head start in technology.

Why would they have evolved to something "highly intelligent"?

Also when we see dinosaurs on earth we se so much more diversity, so on those planets now it is likeyl that there would be more diversity of intelligent dinosaurs, unlike with humans where we have just colour of skin, language, hair colour, size etc..

Like our extremely intelligent ants who can do research in nano-technology?

The dinosaurs on earth had evolved as flying creatures, and they say the modern birds descend from them. So we could theorise that these other planets could easily have intelligent flying humanoids as wings and flying to give an evolutionary advantage.

No they could easily have not.

Also a question, at the time of dinosaurs on earth there would have been sea creatures, what happened to these creatures why did they not evolve into inteligent creatures?

Why do you keep saying that everything is supposed to evolve into something "intelligent"?
There needs to be a suitable environment and suitable physical charasteristics in order for intelligence to evolve.

No.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
the building blocks are all the same everywhere in the universe.

Its like if you took some seeds planted them in different areas with same conditions the plants would grow and evolve the same way as they adapt to their environments and use the existing resources/building blocks around them.

Now science has shown that for life to exist there has to be certain building blocks and certain conditions (in terms of space the 'habitable zone'). So if all these earth like planets are starting off with the same building blocks we could expect similar outcomes in terms of evolutions due to what has already been proven on earth.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Yes...it is a plausible theory --- it's been my pet theory for many decades. [S&F] It might be harder for sea creatures to adapt to a land and space enviroment; unless they evolve the proper appendages suitable for complex task's; yet they will still be hampered by the electrical conductivity of water --- for basic scientific experiments.

The probability of advanced [capable of interstellar travel] dinosauroid humanoids, should be very high in our universe. I would speculate that the ratio of advanced beings --- capable of interstellar travel --- would be 60% dinosauriod's, 30% homosapien's and 10% other.

The dinosauroids...would have to be at least partial meat eaters, for advanced crainal development.

edit on 20-1-2013 by Erno86 because: typo

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Explanation: I just posted this ...

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
reply to post by Jill89

Explanation: S&F!

I agree and many other people also do ... and here is why ...

1] Extremophiles on earth show that environment does matter .. but it is not an overiding factor most of the time for life to find a way to exploit that environemnt.

Extremophiles [wiki]

2] If the laws of the universe are the same everywhere inside that universe [note: the observable universe only ok ... the Cosmos is infinitely bigger ok] THEN chemistry is the same also.

Lorentz covariance [wiki]

3] Chemists say that CARBON basedl life on earth is not the only evolutionary path way possible.

Carbon-based life ONLY mindsets is refered to as carbon chauvinsim.

Carbon-based Life [wiki]

Carbon chauvinism [wiki]

4] And although silicon is a hard [thermodynamically] route for mother nature and evolution to follow by fact of chemcial processes and the energy efficiency that naturally comes with those chemic reactions .. it is cleary with reason and possible for life to exist based on that method.

Hypothetical types of biochemistry [wiki]

Hypothetical types of biochemistry: Silicon biochemistry [wiki]

Personal Disclosure: I hope this helps!

edit on 20-1-2013 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix missing link.

edit on 20-1-2013 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix broken link bbcode.

To this similar issue thread ...

Excuse me if I'm wrong [by Jill89]

Personal Disclosure: N/A due to being same as the comment from the quote.

edit on 20-1-2013 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix buggy bbcode and alter a word to clariify.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
i agree its not a new idea or a big revelation or anything. Just based on some doc I saw on tv. and maybe star trek

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Dinosaurs evolved into mammals and birds they didn't go extinct. That whole asteroid exterminated them has been debunked.

Mainly because they've concluded that it could have been a multitude of things like disease,evolution,climate change, volcanic eruptions, and a possible impact all at one time.

Not one thing made them go bye bye. Infact look at turtles and crocodiles did you know they are older then dinosaurs?

Yeah!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
There's one thing the OP has forgotten in their idea, and that is here on earth there was at least 2 prior full extinctions before what we would class as Dinos started to appear. Dinos where never the first, just the longest to survive uninterrupted.

And some of the creatures that existed in those prior extinctions are pretty bloody weird looking, so who knows where they might have gotten to evolutionary wise had they not been wiped out (some extinctions where almost total, kinda lucky any of us actually exist really).

That being said you also have to take into account the idea of convergent evolution where during different lines of evolution the same traits eventually appears in vastly unrelated species. (Which is where the idea that most aliens will look similar to us in body comes from for some of us).

So other planets like earth might have gotten to a point where no Ordovicivian extinction event happened for them and so they might have eventually become some odd sponge like being, where as one where the Devonian extinction event never happened and their advanced life might be a freaky plated insectoid like being... thing is the creatures of our Devonian period only evolved because of the Ordovicivian extinction and some other world facing similar extinctions might have thrown up something completely different from its survivors of similar events.

Granted if other worlds like ours have just as much forms of life on it like ours has and had, then theres a big chance in my mind that if we ever reach those worlds one day we might be surprised to find lots of familiar looking creatures on em from through out earths prehistory, not identical but I bet we'll be surprised.

As for the Dinosaurs being more diverse than us I think you've gotten the wrong end of the stick, dinosaurs arent a small family of animals like apes within a larger world, they were the dominant species of big life on the planet during that period, Dinosaurs are to their period of time as Mammals and Birds are to ours. A T-Rex is no more related to a Triceratops as a Cheetah is to a Zebra...

Problem with flying intelligent creatures is their form at least on earth precludes them from being capable of making use of that brain power like we can. Some species of bird are some of the most intelligent none apes creatures on the planet, but they arent going to start making or constructing anything on par with us ever, unless they eventually evolve something better for manipulation than their beaks and the moment that starts to happen I bet its the beginning of the end of their wings, so a humaniod bird could happen but not one with wings stuck to their back (but who knows some day a bird species might sprout a 3rd pair of limbs, but i dont see it happening since it would have to be a pretty drastic change to give them an advantage over others of their kind so it couldnt be a gradual development like wings were).

Personally for me the true evolutionary pinnacle of hominids of Earth were the Neanderthals and cro-mags, us modern humans I think came from else where not all that long ago (relatively speaking). Kinda like we turned up found these relatively familiar faces and decided to stick around a bit... which didnt go down to well for the natives
as it tends to.

Its odd but when you think about it, if it wasnt for the many extinctions on earth, life might have stalled a long time ago and it might still just be a bunch of communal pollops stuck to rocks and the like.
edit on 20-1-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Manunnaki

Originally posted by Manunnaki

Dinosaurs evolved into mammals....

Are you sure about that?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Are you sure about that?

I think hes confused the early mammalian/reptilian ancestors with dinosaurs, even though as far as i recall they haven't been classed as such (obviously), they just lived along side (under) the dinos and survived, where as the dinos didnt. People tend to think everything living in the Triassic/Jurassic where dinos... which they where not.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Are you sure about that?

Well you know since amphibians did crawl out of the muck first besides insects I'd say mammals did come from reptiles. Since mammals are the new kids on the block!

If you can't look it up I'll find the documentary for you!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopie

Yes but if dominant species was dinosaurs then there would be no what we 'classify' as intelligent life on the planet. Because as history dictates none of our native species some as old as the dinosaurs have advanced to that level, So what makes you think they would on another planet ?

Umm unless you can roll back time and stop the extinction of the dinos i dont think you can ever say that for sure, since you seem to forget that our ancestors survived the same extinction event the dinos had to face and errr well... we became what we became didn't we so in a way, so history dictates that infact... intelligent life DID rise from life that existed at that time, just not dino... but like i said we'll never know (although their where dinos that theoretically could have and appeared to show the sort of precursory aspects needed to jump to the next step, the small bipedal one that lived on what would become Antarctica comes to mind).

And just because crocs, turtles, tuatara, some aquatic life and birds also survived and none of them became like us doesn't mean the dinos couldn't have. That argument is ridiculous, some of those animals just dont have the potential for it, but to say that they are an example of what the dinos would be like now is ignorant.

If you look at various bird species they exhibit VERY high levels of intelligence, even to the point of being capable of learning and using our own language and showing ability with language concepts that up until recently we only considered 'human'.

Although from your other posts it seems you hold a dim view on animal intelligence, or you class intelligence far to narrow, ie if it aint human level it cant be called intelligent, which is rather narrow minded in of itself.

There was an amazingly good doco about animal intelligence on TV here in NZ a few weeks back called Super Smart Animals (done by the BBC), that basically showed that what we humans know about intelligence is hardly all that much at all... and some animals are even superior to us in some areas, which is kind of humbling.

If our own broad animal life on earth can show that potential, whos to say the dinos didn't either, all of us still shared the DNA of the survivors of the great extinctions so the potential we exhibit was most likely present in the dinos as well. Or at least in my opinion it was.

Although its a moot argument though since we'll never know either way.

Are you sure about that?

Well you know since amphibians did crawl out of the muck first besides insects I'd say mammals did come from reptiles. Since mammals are the new kids on the block!

If you can't look it up I'll find the documentary for you!

Dinosaurs arent reptiles nor amphibians... so no we didnt evolve from Dinos.
edit on 20-1-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

If AND i mean IF...

There are other planets out there that have same conditions as earth, and it is quite probable as there are so many planets. Therefore if life started on earth by natural evolution over millions of years then it is likelt that the same thing happened on other planets.

Thanks for posting, rkingpin!
I understand what you are proposing, however, as you ask, I do not think it is a plausible theory.

Here's why, and I will qualify it by saying that there are numerous theories for the existence of life on earth, but MOST (notice not everybody ) scientists would say that life itself is rare and its existence even here was nothing short of a miracle.

Professor Francis Crick, awarded the Nobel Prize for the discovery of DNA, wrote:
An honest man, armed with all the knowledge available to us now, could only state that in some sense, the origin of life appears at the moment to be almost a miracle, so many are the conditions which would have had to have been satisfied to get it going.

The trouble is that there are about two thousand enzymes, and the chance of obtaining them all in a random trial is only one part in (1020)2,000=1040,000, an outrageously small probability that could not be faced even if the whole universe consisted of organic soup.(

Link

How did life actually begin? Panspermia? Maybe a meteorite carrying life, or another element which contributed to existing elements already here spurred life?
Just pure evolution of already existing elements over millions of years?

Anyway you look at it, IF life exists elsewhere, for it to have developed exactly like here on earth is pretty near impossible, if not impossible. And to think there may have been dinoaurs on other planets, I'd say, again, not plausible.

With that said, I CANNOT say that it is completely impossible, just extremely and very highly unlikely. Something cool to think about though!!

Peace!! ID

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
If I was a dinosaur or if I had wings, I'd never become "intelligent" as I'd be far too busy being a dinosaur or flying outside to develop calculus.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join