It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Muslim members of ATS: What do you think about Mali?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Are mainstream Muslims willing to fight against Al-Qaeda having their own entire "safe haven" country??

edition.cnn.com...#/video/world/2013/01/17/pkg-clancy-mali-why-now.cnn

Here's a vid from this week about how Al-Qaeda is behaving in Mali....
in my opinion, this is the WORST POSSIBLE idea imaginable. What is Islam doing to combat this hostile and deadly takeover of a large territory?

All I see is Western diplomats (France, the US, etc)..... talking about dealing with it. Can you all give us an idea of how you would recommend this being STOPPED? Or, will your 1 billion followers just allow such a thing??

Please help me understand the Muslim dynamics of this conflict. Thanks.
~wild

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Okay, I don't know how to embed cnn videos....
the vid was from the 17th, let me try again...

from a search on cnn: the title of the article is "Is Al-Qaeda close to calling Mali home?"

here's the search result by entering onto CNN search bar "al-qaeda in mali"
edition.cnn.com...
About halfway down is the vid clip with the above title. Obviously there is LOTS of info regarding Mali's crisis....
and to be honest, I haven't been following it very closely (one can only ruminate on so many atrocities at a time without slipping into despair, ya know?)

Anyway, hope someone here will give us some insight into Islam's view of Mali's situatoin.
edit on 20-1-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2013 by wildtimes because: left off link.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Please delete this post.

edit on 20-1-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

You mean the thread? Or just your post?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I meant my post.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Are mainstream Muslims willing to fight against Al-Qaeda

Probably thre most interesting question I've read in a long time, now all we need to do is define mainstream muslim and when does any 'mainstream religious belief' become fanatical ? were the crusades a farce for example ?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I guess I would say the non-extremist, tolerant and, gentle kind? The moderates? Those who practice peacefully and allow others to live unmolested; who are fine with other faiths existing alongside them.

Yes, the Crusades would be an example of the Roman Catholic Church's atrocities.
Thanks for acknowledging the question, cody!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

The background to the Crusades was set when the Seljuk Turks decisively defeated the Byzantine army in 1071 and cut off Christian access to Jerusalem. The Byzantine emperor, Alexis I, feared that all Asia Minor would be overrun. He called on western Christian leaders and the papacy to come to the aid of Constantinople by undertaking a pilgrimage or a crusade that would free Jerusalem from Muslim rule.[2] Another cause was the destruction of many Christian sacred sites and the persecution of Christians under the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim.

I would call that a REACTION to aggression.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Okay, I have no argument with that. Nevertheless, many lives were lost.

The question remains. Will Islam REACT to the atrocities being committed by people posing as "Muslims" who are instead practicing world terror?

Just as mainstream Christians denounce Westboro Baptist Church as being decidedly NOT tuned to "normal "Christian behavior....
I believe Islam (and EVERY member of a faith) are bound to STOP -- or at least speak to -- and sanction and/or condemn -- the actions of people who are besmirching Islam's reputation INTERNATIONALLY.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I have to say

As a recovering roman catholic (i was born in to the cult and left as soon as i was old enough to make an educated decision) i see all extremists as the same horse with a different wig on.

Never the less an excellent question

I await some interesting debate/points of view.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by cody599

I guess I would say the non-extremist, tolerant and, gentle kind? The moderates? Those who practice peacefully and allow others to live unmolested; who are fine with other faiths existing alongside them.

Yes, the Crusades would be an example of the Roman Catholic Church's atrocities.
Thanks for acknowledging the question, cody!

You're welcome
I have a dilemma here, my wife teaches some of the sweetest kids I've ever met (mostly muslim) but when the local regiment returned from active duty they were spat at as they tried to march through town. Mostly by the kids parents and other 'mainstream muslims', usually law abiding citizens (albeit within their own community ) so did the mainstream become militant for a few hours and is that acceptable ?
I firmly believe in the right to free speech and have fought for what I believe in, then the free speech turns on me and bites me in the bum. I don't believe all muslims are bad ass killers but since 9/11 that seems to be the message I'm supposed to accept. Hell I served in the IDF and still believe muslims are in general good people. Muslim does not automatically mean killer. Unfortunately atrocities regardless of race creed or colour will always be attributed to a group, though individuals are the perpitraters. Sad world; thought is a precious thing, let's not waste it guys; all respect wildtimes, nice to meet you.
Cody

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I have a dilemma here, my wife teaches some of the sweetest kids I've ever met (mostly muslim)

Ya know, I worked for years in the schools in the urban core of my metro area.....
lots of Muslim young ladies (how beautiful they were!! Somali, as I recall)......

I wonder what peaceable Muslim parents tell their CHILDREN about these atrocities? Do they discuss it with them?

I hope that this thread does get some traffic....but, maybe they are not supposed to address the subject at all?

I don't know.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

Never the less an excellent question

I await some interesting debate/points of view.

I hope we get some answers from those most able to speak to the question......

anyway, congrats on your "emancipation" from the childhood indoctrination. I did the same as soon as I reached my teens...was brought up in the Episcopal faith. Although, I have to admit they are pretty progressive and accepting....aside from that "Nicene Creed" thing, I might even have stayed.....

but I got tired of being required to ADMIT (with everyone else) that I was a loser and not worthy, because I didn't believe it (or the miracle stories or resurrection) no matter how hard I tried.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Not being a muslim I can't answer your question.
But I'd guess that most muslims don't care about Mali.
To be honest I only found it on a map a few days ago !

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I hope we get some answers from those most able to speak to the question......

I doff my hat to you
M'lady

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

To be honest I only found it on a map a few days ago !

I hear ya....I was thinking it was some Island in the south pacific - but the stuff on CNN shows it's in sub-saharan (? is that right? or maybe Saharan?) Africa - the wider part of the continent, but south of the coastal northern countries... and pretty big!!

Anyway, nice to meet you, too!! I've enjoyed reading your posts in the forum.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

An unusual thread! SnF

I just had to post to follow up to see if you'll get an answer!

Keep pushing the envelope!

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I just had to post to follow up to see if you'll get an answer!

Keep pushing the envelope!

Well, hey beez!! I'm glad your bunny is back.....

anyway, apparently there is hesitation, or just bad timing. We'll see....
but obviously there are some of us who would like some Islamic response.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I'm quite disappointed in the response to your original question.

I was hoping for an educated viewpoint from a member who has a better understanding of the subject.

I wonder why there are none?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

I wonder why there are none?

Not sure......
again, it might just be bad timing....
or,
it might be they don't want to discuss it.

I'm disappointed, too.......
thanks for the support.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join