It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Touch My Kids Unless I Tell You To!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
What is going on with people lately???

A mother takes her young daughter to the dentist and expects him to take care of the girl's four cavities. The dentist decides all on his own to cap every tooth in the girl's mouth with steel crowns. Another dentist confirms that this is actually a good thing.

But, why didn't the dentist understand that NO ONE does ANYTHING to a child unless the parent tells them too? Jeez, why does this have to be spelled out for some people???

edit on 20-1-2013 by Kandinsky because: Removed all-caps title

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
if she taught her daughter to properly care for her teeth there would have been no issue

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

When the mother brought the girl to the dentist and said "take care of these 4 cavities", that's exactly when she gave permission for the procedure.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
lol she looks like old dirty bastard! lmao she got her a grill she will be the most popular in school

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by haven123
if she taught her daughter to properly care for her teeth there would have been no issue
Probably gonna win the "Dumbest Post of the Week" for the Above Quote.

No, The Thread is about Abuse of Power, Thats it.

How would you Like it Haven, if you took your car to the Mechanics to have your Oil changed.
And He decided you needed New Brakes, and a New Exhaust ?

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
She should go visit my dentist. He's awesome.

I think her dentist listens to rap way too much and went the cheapest route.

Poor kid. She's going to be teased too much school because of that.
edit on 20-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Theyre all baby teeth and will be replaced in due time.. then maybe shell be old enough to take care of them herself.
Such an over reaction.
fat a** mom is just looking for attention.
Wtf is it with people with minor issues thinking that they have to go to the press and make youtube videos.
If I were her husband, if she has one, id be ashamed.
edit on 1/20/2013 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

what do i win

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Watch the video again. What's that on the table? A trick-or-treating pumpkin pail. The mother clearly has no control over her daughter's hygiene or diet.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
The mother clearly has no control over her daughter's hygiene or diet.
So Every child who has Cavities, is being Raised by Neglectant Parents?

Methinks you dont have Children.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
im sure she will sue.. gots to get her moneys somehow.. obama doesn't pay like he use to.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by haven123

Just FYI, there is a dental condition called soft enamel. It leaves the enamel porous and susceptible to the bacteria that causes cavities. When a child has this condition, cute baby teeth are horribly subject to decay. Regular brushing and flossing may not be enough. Innocuous things like juice and milk, hasten the decay and the teeth quickly crumble.

Often, in these cases, the only way to protect the tooth buds growing beneath the baby teeth, is to cap them. Although parents may feel they have failed their children, or others may think they have done so, it is the condition that causes the problem. The only way to guard against further decay in this situation, besides or in addition to the capping, is frequent brushing, brushing after every drink or food item, and use of antiplaque rinses.

How do I know this? I am one of those parents who did everything right by the book with her child, and he still suffered from the condition, it is hereditary.

i hope this info helps others understand, it is not necessarily neglect that causes dental problems.

BT

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

why didn't the dentist understand that NO ONE does ANYTHING to a child unless the parent tells them too?

Probably because that’s not true….

Consent is actually quite complicated but let’s say a child is out on her bike and is hit by a car so the ambulance brings her up to the ER without her parents. By the logic of your above statement the medical team should let her bleed out until her parents comes to tell them it’s ok to give her blood or preform CPR.

Now ok that’s a extreme example, let’s say she just knocked out her front teeth, are you saying that the medical staff should wait until the parents arrive before they put the teeth back in.

It’s called presumed consent, and even at that if medical staff were to say “we need to take your kids leg of or she will die” and mum says “no” the medical staff can still do it if they can ethically justify doing so. Just like turning off life support.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

That's not the leap in logic I'm making.

There's Christmas stuff outside the house, so the video is recent. Why is there still a Halloween pail out? It's probably full of candy. Laziness + poor hygiene = massive procedure.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Why steel crowns though. There are nice white substances that teeth are capped or veneered with, porcelain, or even whatever temporary crowns are made with.

Dental work on front teeth is supposed to be white.

*just watched the whole video, thankfully another dentist fixed it, and made the teeth white again.

edit on 20-1-2013 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

No, The Thread is about Abuse of Power, Thats it.

Thank you. This thread was moved to medical issues, when it isn't about that. What if a kindly store owner decided to give a kid a free piece of candy without knowing the kid had diabetes, or that the parents just didn't want their child raised on junk. The power of parents has taken such a beating over the last few decades.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yes, for permanent adult teeth. For baby teeth, the cheapest method is best, as the teeth will be gone soon. No need to get the white veneer unless you're really worried about how your child will feel about the teeth they're about to lose anyway.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BearTruth
reply to post by haven123

Just FYI, there is a dental condition called soft enamel. It leaves the enamel porous and susceptible to the bacteria that causes cavities. When a child has this condition, cute baby teeth are horribly subject to decay. Regular brushing and flossing may not be enough. Innocuous things like juice and milk, hasten the decay and the teeth quickly crumble.

Often, in these cases, the only way to protect the tooth buds growing beneath the baby teeth, is to cap them. Although parents may feel they have failed their children, or others may think they have done so, it is the condition that causes the problem. The only way to guard against further decay in this situation, besides or in addition to the capping, is frequent brushing, brushing after every drink or food item, and use of antiplaque rinses.

How do I know this? I am one of those parents who did everything right by the book with her child, and he still suffered from the condition, it is hereditary.

i hope this info helps others understand, it is not necessarily neglect that causes dental problems.

BT

It's all good to know, BT, but the dentist should have told the mother this.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I can understand if this procedure was necessary if there was a medical reason, HOWEVER, there is no reason that the dentist couldn't have called the mom back in to let her know what he wanted to do and why - and give the mom a choice on whether to do the recommended procedure, and/or whether to put veneers on the front teeth for appearance sake. This was simply a bad dentist.

posted on Jan, 20 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

It’s called presumed consent, and even at that if medical staff were to say “we need to take your kids leg of or she will die” and mum says “no” the medical staff can still do it if they can ethically justify doing so. Just like turning off life support.

First off, the mother was right there. If I took my child in to have a cavity filled, I expect just that tooth to be worked on - not the whole mouth unless I'm informed ahead of time.

Your scenario of losing a leg is a life or death situation. To fit it into this topic it would have to be that the doctors amputated the leg, and then said to the parents, "Oh, and by the way, we dipped the other leg in steel to protect that one from getting damaged."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join