It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola "Seems" to Have Spread to Asia [Bangladesh]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Having read the articles the following can be stated:

Of all of the known diseases out there, Ebola is one of the more dangerous of the the viruses that tends to show up. It is a part of a family of viruses called Filoviruses, that can and has caused death. It is nearly fatal in most cases, and there is are different cases of such:

Marburg, first came about in Marburg Germany. The lethal nature of this disease had not been seen, and the speed that it spread was frightening to many. It was brought in with monkeys that were used in experiements, which were infected already.

The next was Ebola Zaire, the first recorded outbreak being in 1976, with 318 people infected, and 280 deaths, with a fatality of 88%

Then Ebola Sudan, with 284 infected, and 151 deaths, about a 50% lethality rate.

The next strain was Ebola Reston, that first came about in Reston Virginia, in 1989. Of all of the strains of Ebola, this is the only one that is not lethal to humans. Here again, it came in with infected primates.

The next strain was Ebola Cote d'Ivoire, first was detected in 1992, official identified in 1994, found on the Ivory Coast, with no fatalities, however it is believed that such has not yet jumped species.

While it could be that a new species of this virus is coming up, it is not known if it is one that we have already seen, and if it is, then it would answer the one question, which is what species of animals are the carriers of this nightmarish disease, or if it is a new offshoot of the virus, a new species as it were.

As the op did bring up weaponised ebola, and it bears to note that during the heyday of the cold war, before it was fully banned, that the Soviet Union, did indeed have research into a weaponized version of Ebola as part of its NBC program, including a weapon called Ebolapox, that was a hybrid of Ebola and Smallpox.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
that was a hybrid of Ebola and Smallpox.

Now that's terrifying.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
that was a hybrid of Ebola and Smallpox.

Now that's terrifying.

There is a weaponized, extensively re-engineered strain of rabies that should be far more "terrifying" ...

That stuff gets into the population and we are talking a near extinction level event.
edit on 18-1-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

I also enjoyed Quarantine, but there's a cure for rabies.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

I also enjoyed Quarantine, but there's a cure for rabies.

Not for the weaponized strain. It is the "perfect weapon" ... The weapon developers may have an exclusive vaccine.

In my opinion.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Fair enough then, a zompocalypse would be the best way to go though, I mean, at least you'd have a fighting chance. If ebolapox ever got out, everyone would be dead. Zombie rabies would be survived by preppers and gun nuts etc.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well this is both frightening and interesting as the implications of this being either a natural occurrence or man made weapon piques the mind into some different facets of thought.
I did research a bit about bats while reading the other posts here and found that some African fruit bats are capable of traveling great distances. Four bats in an article traveled 1k KM in just one month! Was was recorded to have reached 1900km in about six months. These numbers prove bats can make great distances which could account for the virus showing up in Asia.
Here is a link to the article on bats I found.
Fruit Bats of Africa
If they did migrate into Asia, then ebola could very well be on its way to becoming a much more deadly disease for humans than ever before. However, this is, as the OP stated, purely speculation on my part.
Now if someone, agency did weaponize this, wouldn't they prefer a different approach to its release than bats? And as it has been stated in prior posts under this thread, a more populated location from which to spread it from?
Regardless, Ebola is nothing to ignore and finding it crossing the continental boudaries is more than frightening, it is menacingly foreboding for the human race.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by prysmatyk

Again, providing that this is a natural outbreak, there is no reason to fear it, unless you're one of the first few hundred patients.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
My thing is: Is it possible for an Ebola-affected mosquito to fly all the way from Africa to Asia in order to be eaten by a bat.

Could it happen or is this a "swallow/African swallow" Question?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Theoretically possible, unlikely though. Like, I'd offer 1/1,000,000 odds impossible.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

And if it's the bat?

I wasn't even sure they migrate as some have suggested.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I beg to differ about the fast/slow death debate - raised on p1

A longer time to die means (probably) a longer infectious period and more exposure before becoming certain of the symptoms being ebola.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I thought the new "pretty toys" were all RNA based these days.
Isn't a natural virus kind of old hat?

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Perhaps a RNA virus mixed with Ebola?

This is purely nothing but speculation on mr behalf in the hopes to provide alternate theories.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I do not agree that it wouldn't not a threat as an "useful" weapon, remember the anthrax scare it was very effective it however can not be useful as a weapon of war (most biological weapons can't without large collaterals even after weaponization to a degree the same issue with chemical and nuclear weapons, being the safer the chemical since viability can be designed into it all other so far would result into burnt earth tactics, being the biological if largely spread the most dangerous because mutations would be impossible to predict).

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I don't really like these scare tactic threads but as long as everyone is screened when entering and leaving those Countries affected, we should be able to keep this refined!!

I know in London we have loads going back and forth so I hope they get checked..... on the downside we also get illegals coming here on trucks and any other way they can find without getting checked so this could potentially become a bad scenario!!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Somebody seems to play real life pandemic 2

no just kidding, if this reports are true and verified, we should hope that it will not spread

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Panic2k11

I didn't say it wasn't a threat, but it kills too fast to be a truly effective weapon, as opposed to Anthrax or others.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Even if you told every Bangladeshi / Asian / Pacific Islander that they found the Ebola Virus in Fruit Bats.....those people WILL NEVER stop eating Fruit Bats.

It's their delicacy. Those bats don't eat bugs.

How tha heck would Fruit Bats get tha Ebola Virus from eating fruit? Could be a PsyOp to try and get those people to stop eating those bats. They're nearly extinct now.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

This not a "scare tactic thread".

The intention of this thread was to point out the possible spread of Ebola virus into Asia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join