It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey.. Whatcha Readin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm about done with my current book and don't have another queued up - I thought it might be interesting to see what other ATSers are reading, and what they think about it. If you want to give a brief description of what the book is about that would help too. =]

I'm usually into non-fiction but 11/22/63 by Stephen King was on sale for my Kindle. King is formulaic but he definitely knows how to tell a story. This book is about a man who finds a portal to the past (1958) and attempts to stop the assassination of JFK. Not too long before the event his lung cancer gets very serious and he comes back to recruit someone else to stop Oswald.

The book scoffs at conspiracy theories regarding the assassination, which kind of turned me off to it, but it's good reading nonetheless. I'll be done tomorrow night, need a new read!

ATS, whatcha readin?

ETA: NO SPOILERS!

edit on 17-1-2013 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Oh, another thing.. Maybe the most eye-opening non-fiction book I've ever read is linked in my signature. You can read it for free online.

If you prefer a tangible book, I'm positive your local library has a copy. =]

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
your post

I like scifi
Check out Alastair Reynolds - Chasm City - Revelation space - Redemption Ark - Absolution gap - etc

Also Peter Hamilton.
edit on 17-1-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Just finished "Thieves" by Trey Smith - what a ride! He is on godinanutshell.com.

Just started Apollyon 2012 by Thomas Horn - good stuff about the forefather of the US, their ties to masonry and dieism (rather than Christianity).

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I can only recommend "Rant" and "Snuff" written by Chuck Palahniuk, most commonly known for his novel "Fight Club".

Other than that, I dont normally read novels but non-fiction stuff..... reality is stranger than fiction, and I still believe this to be true.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by capod2t
Just finished "Thieves" by Trey Smith - what a ride! He is on godinanutshell.com.

Just started Apollyon 2012 by Thomas Horn - good stuff about the forefather of the US, their ties to masonry and dieism (rather than Christianity).

Apollyon 2012 sounds interesting, thanks for the recommend!

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

I read a lot of Palahniuk back in the day, he's also pretty formulaic, but he creates great, and sometimes disturbing visuals. Haven't read Snuff, might have to check it out. =]

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
I can only recommend "Rant" and "Snuff" written by Chuck Palahniuk, most commonly known for his novel "Fight Club".

Other than that, I dont normally read novels but non-fiction stuff..... reality is stranger than fiction, and I still believe this to be true.

Ghost is his best. I also love Diary and Survivor.

Go for some Bukowski I say. Ham on Rye.

edit on 17-1-2013 by otherpotato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'm partial to Sci-Fi. I finished John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. I think there are four official and one tangent books with a new one on the way. There may be a movie in the works also.

I have been going back and rereading several authors I was stupid enough to give away when I moved. A few friends helped me move and thought all paper backs were read and trade in or throw away.

I've found that I seem to be reading with new eyes and find the stories totally different from how I remember them.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by otherpotato
Ghost is his best.

I agree completely!

If you're into reading about conspiracies, Id' recommend anything by Eustace Mullins.

Pretty much any Conspiracy theory you can think of started with that guy. He did some great research too.
I'd start with "Secrets of the Federal Reserve" first. Most of his research was done in the Library of Congress.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Currently reading the Wheel Of Time Series.

en.wikipedia.org...

Epic for anybody into high fantasy.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

Recently read, Ken Follet, "Fall of Giants" and "Winter of the World". First two of a trilogy. Fantastically researched historical fiction. Start with Russian Revolution, gets through WWII in these. Characters and plots in US, Great Britain, Germany, Russia, France. Reading Daniel Defoe "A Journal of the Plauge year" tonight. Historical fiction about the Plauge, 1665 London.

"What is the What", written by Dave Edgars (sp) is great true story of boy's flight from Sudan, walking boy, refugee camps in numerous countries, all the way to US.

Ancient history, current history wrapped with conspiracy, spiritual and future events you can go for "Harbinger" it's an interesting quick read.

You said you like non fiction. These all deal with historical truths, but written as fiction. Closest ones to it that I have read this year.
edit on 17-1-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-1-2013 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
If you like your horror with a conspiracy edge try 'Thanks for the Memories' by Brice Taylor. As for it being fiction or non fiction has some debate.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by otherpotato
Ghost is his best.

I agree completely!

If you're into reading about conspiracies, Id' recommend anything by Eustace Mullins.

Pretty much any Conspiracy theory you can think of started with that guy. He did some great research too.
I'd start with "Secrets of the Federal Reserve" first. Most of his research was done in the Library of Congress.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

I'll check him out. I mostly read nonfiction and these days I pick up six books at a time and bail! I think I've read it all. Time to broaden my horizons.

new topics

top topics

join