It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US has more guns than any Country in the World - We are going to be safe when?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
ANOTHER thread talking about THE SAME STUFF in the 100s OF SAME THREADS. CONGRATS.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensible1
If guns make us safe, the US should be the safest place in the entire world, as we hae more guns AND more guns per capita than any place on Earth. So Why are we the most dangerous place of all industrialized nations? Why is crime with guns growing as gun ownership grows?

Most dangerous place?? I would like you to go take a look at violent crime per capita stats. The UK tops it; they have a per capita violent crime rate 4 times higher than the U.S; Canada is twice as high. The U.S has a rate of 460 per 100,000, and even lower in areas with concealed carry. As for the gun homicide rate, clearly there are going to be deaths when there are 88 guns for every 100 people. Almost all of of those homicides are gang/criminal related; with the highest concentration in demographic & specific locations. In the city I live in, there's been 1 murder in the past decade, and no gun violence; despite many people owning them. This notion that America is a dangerous place to live is a generalization. Not once have I seen gun-violence; I grew up, 16 years, in a neighborhood becoming a ghetto. Now I live in an even safer (rural) area. Again, go check the violent crime rate per capita numbers.

Countries with less guns have many many fewer gun deaths and gun crimes. \

No really?! You don't say? I would have never guessed that a country with hundreds of millions of guns would have more gun deaths...
Want another stat? Assault rifles account for 3.5 percent of all the firearm homicides; in 2011 there were ony 320 deaths. A semi-auto rifle is virtually the same as a semi-auto handgun; and automatic/selective fire weapons are already strictly regulated. This craze over "why people 'need' an assault rifle" is based on a knee-jerk emotional response.

Are we free if everyone in the US has a gun at their hip? Is that true freedom? This "Mad Max" vision of the US is not Freedom at all.

You clearly can't grasp the basic concept why the 2nd amendment was written in the first place. You also clearly haven't taken a look at history, and what happens when a populace is disarmed. A different approach to the problem of gun-violence would be analyzing the statistics in depth, taking a look at the correlates & deducing ways to reduce the problem; rather than punishing the millions of responsible gun owners for the actions of a couple crazies.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You are never safe, ever. As long as murphy's law still runs the universe you will never be safe. Anything could happen at any time. That is the point, you cant stop people from dying, no matter what people will die. What matters is how you die. Would you rather die due to blunt force trauma and internal bleeding or single gun shot? Car wreck or Cancer?

It doesn't matter!

I think its funny that the people who have been preaching evolution are the same ones who are trying to prevent everyone from dying.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sensible1

Occams razor in this case is flawed:

Chile has 10+ times the guns of Japan, but it has less deaths...

El salvador has 18 + times less guns that the US, but it has 5 times the death.

More weapons do not equal more deaths, more crazy does.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The UK is tiny compared to America in size and population so how people's can say we are more violent is laughable to say the least. Even the murder rate by guns is in 2 figures and it is guns that is the issue here and nothing else.
I'm not anti-gun but please stop this crap comparing us to the US it doesn't wash.
edit on 17-1-2013 by scotsdavy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

England has a higher percentage of it's population behind bars than America . This whole thing is not about stopping gun violence against people . It is about disarming us so we can't fight the NWO take over . That is why highpowered high capacity guns are under attack . A governments main job is to remain in power when they oppress the people . The greedy Banksters will always try to beat down the people just like in France before the revolution .They buy the political leaders and then strip the country . But this time they want to avoid the peoples revolution that threatens them . They are scared of us !

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

That's exactly the point. The UK is smaller in population, but has a higher violent crime rate per capita. I.e the official comparison puts the UK at 2,000 violent crimes per 100,000 people. In the U.S it's recently reported to be 402 per 100,000; and even lower in some areas with concealed carry. However, multiple people have pointed out that the U.S & the UK interpret violent crime differently. For a more level comparison, the U.K still has a violent crime rate of at least 790 per 100,000 --- twice the rate of the U.S.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Well at least I know I can walk around here without fear of being shot anyway. Still both of you have a point and England is a place us Scots don't really talk about.....

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
We will be safer when people finally understand that their safety is and
always has been in their own hands, the fallacy of gun control fixing anything
is already obvious if anyone bothers to check any facts, there are plenty
of examples to choose from, freedom always has been the only safety we
have, and now so many are ready to give that up because of tragedy.

The last time we gave up freedoms because of tragedy we ended up
with the patriot act, does that not make people wonder? why is it
so hard to believe that our government has and will very well try to take
our freedoms, we must maintain them at all costs. taking freedoms
in the guise of caring about those who suffered is disingenuous and
i find it sick.
edit on 18-1-2013 by bloodreviara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Its more or less the non gun carriers who are being shot. You know those people who cant return fire.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
What has UK crime have to do with the top 10 of Gun Crime and Death? UK Crime figures are as they should be, this means we are addressing the Criminal Elements in our society. You can't buy your way out of the UK justice system, unlike our cousins over the pond.
Not even death escapes our sense of justice, of this I'm thankful.
edit on 18-1-2013 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

If guns make us safe, the US should be the safest place in the entire world, as we hae more guns AND more guns per capita than any place on Earth. So Why are we the most dangerous place of all industrialized nations? Why is crime with guns growing as gun ownership grows? You see the simple math here. I haven't given ANY opinions. Just facts. But like Mitt said, "Our campaign isnt going to be dictated to by fact-checkers.." The more guns we own in this country, the more death with them is elevated. There is NO disputing that. Countries with less guns have many many fewer gun deaths and gun crimes. Is a school filled with Guns the definition of freedom? Are we free if everyone in the US has a gun at their hip? Is that true freedom? This "Mad Max" vision of the US is not Freedom at all. (That last part was my opinion) Why do you deny these truths?
edit on 17-1-2013 by sensible1 because: (no reason given)

Countries with less guns often have higher murder rates than countries with guns. (For instance, Russia, which has a higher murder rate by percentage of the population than the US. I'd consider Russia industrialized, BTW.) I'm not sure why being killed with a gun is particularly more objectionable than being gutted with a kitchen knife. Perhaps you can explain that to me?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

You clearly can't grasp the basic concept why the 2nd amendment was written in the first place. You also clearly haven't taken a look at history, and what happens when a populace is disarmed. A different approach to the problem of gun-violence would be analyzing the statistics in depth, taking a look at the correlates & deducing ways to reduce the problem; rather than punishing the millions of responsible gun owners for the actions of a couple crazies.

EXACTLY! WELL SAID!!

Just some history numbers to back you up...

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED.

SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.

SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

-Ak
edit on 18-1-2013 by AkHolic because: Bad spelling...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

www.politifact.com...

The US has 20 times more gun murders than other western nations.
edit on 18-1-2013 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AkHolic

Scarey list. That post is deserving of its own thread imo; so people understand the historical importance. They all want to believe that such a thing couldn't possibly happen in the 21st century, and that no modern government would ever think of such a thing. The adage, "it's better to be safe than sorry" comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Thank you! Finally, someone has the balls to speak the truth with a different point of view about this picked to the bone subject!
S & F

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I didn't know that for every gun you own a person dies.... If that is the case then we should have more deaths as it seems people have multiple guns.

I am just wondering if gun related deaths go down with a gun ban.. will not another way of killing people go up?? Will it change the overall death count in the USA. I am 100% sure that gun related deaths do not lead the pack in deaths in the USA.

If we really want to go after something that is really hurting children in a huge scale it would be teh food companies that have allowed our children to become obese at such an early age along with the risk of developing diabetes.

Why stop with children. Bad nutrition that is encouraged by our lifestyle and media kills more people than a gun every year.. I think it even shadows car related deaths.

Those are more people dieing.. Not only that but of those that do not die they progressively live a worse quality of life as their health deteriorates. Yet we still have mc dees and burger king making their food more accessible to the public and dressing it up as nice and fun to children.

I really think a very senseless death is on that involves alcohol. Murders and manslaughter has been caused by these drug yet it is legal every where and many of you do not even want to touch that subject.

What is a more senseless death than someone getting drunk then plowing into a kid smearing him on the pavement??

I really cannot think of one other than the same kind of crazy person that would want to kill a child in cold blood in a school.

All of those things I mentioned should be banned. why do you need to eat such crap if it kills you?? why allow alcohol if it kills you and people around?? why are these things exempted??

Because these things can be controlled by being responsible many of you might chime in. saying you only eat junk food once in a while.. or that you do not drink and drive... but you know what?? some cannot show restraint so we should ban those things.. because I believe that if we save just one life if we ban those things... it will be worth it.

edit on 18-1-2013 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

But not 20 times the number of murders.
If you can link gun confiscation with a significant decrease in violent crime and murder, please do so. But the fact is, there are many nations (for instance, Russia) with strict gun laws that have higher murder rates than the US.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
We have millions of books and access to instant information through the internet.
Why are we not all walking around with multiple Doctoral degrees?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

If guns make us safe, the US should be the safest place in the entire world, as we hae more guns AND more guns per capita than any place on Earth. So Why are we the most dangerous place of all industrialized nations? Why is crime with guns growing as gun ownership grows? You see the simple math here. I haven't given ANY opinions. Just facts. But like Mitt said, "Our campaign isnt going to be dictated to by fact-checkers.." The more guns we own in this country, the more death with them is elevated. There is NO disputing that. Countries with less guns have many many fewer gun deaths and gun crimes. Is a school filled with Guns the definition of freedom? Are we free if everyone in the US has a gun at their hip? Is that true freedom? This "Mad Max" vision of the US is not Freedom at all. (That last part was my opinion) Why do you deny these truths?
edit on 17-1-2013 by sensible1 because: (no reason given)

Actually, if you do a side-by-side comparison Britain beats us out hands down as they have more violent crime per capita than the USA. We have the perception as having more violent crime because the msm report it more heavily here. In fact, this is a pattern in every country. Make the populace afraid of gun crime and ban guns, then stop reporting violent crime in the media and people will believe they've become safer because people in general are not bright enough to do the research and those that are can always be discredited with labels like 'kook', 'crazy', and 'conspiracy theorist'.

The only truly dangerous places to be in the USA are the larger metropolitan areas and gun-free zones.

If you don't believe me, look at the numbers:

www.fbi.gov...

www.statistics.gov.uk...*&uday=0&umonth=0&uyear=0&title=Crime+in+England+and+Wales%3A+Annual+report&page type=calendar-entry&lday=&lmonth=&lyear=

I know you won't because it'd bring your crazy world view crashing down around your ears were you to find out you've been duped.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join