It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US has more guns than any Country in the World - We are going to be safe when?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
If guns make us safe, the US should be the safest place in the entire world, as we hae more guns AND more guns per capita than any place on Earth. So Why are we the most dangerous place of all industrialized nations? Why is crime with guns growing as gun ownership grows? You see the simple math here. I haven't given ANY opinions. Just facts. But like Mitt said, "Our campaign isnt going to be dictated to by fact-checkers.." The more guns we own in this country, the more death with them is elevated. There is NO disputing that. Countries with less guns have many many fewer gun deaths and gun crimes. Is a school filled with Guns the definition of freedom? Are we free if everyone in the US has a gun at their hip? Is that true freedom? This "Mad Max" vision of the US is not Freedom at all. (That last part was my opinion) Why do you deny these truths?
edit on 17-1-2013 by sensible1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well yeah............ but what about DRs or cars? they kill people shouldnt we ban them too????

To the rest of the world its as simple as.................. DUH!!!!!!!!!!

Guns in a society do not make you safer, sure it may make the individual who has a loaded gun on them safer but society............. HELLS NO!!!!!

Most Americans dont seem to see it that way, its all about "I have a gun so my family is safe, F*** the rest"

I genuinely feel sorry for people like you who choose or have no choice but to live in a society where guns are everywhere and accepted

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
We need more guns to stop all the needless shootings!!! We need more burgers to stop the obesity problem!!!
edit on 17/1/13 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sensible1

The number of people with concealed carry permits are tiny in comparison to overall gun ownership.

Otherwise I would agree that a legally armed populace would absolutely keep bad guys in check.

You also need to do some "fact" checking.

Originally posted by sensible1
So Why are we the most dangerous place of all industrialized nations?

The United Kingdom is the violent crime capital of Europe and has one of the highest rates of violence in the world, worse even than America

The total number of violent offences recorded compared to population is higher than any other country in Europe, as well as America, Canada, Australia and South Africa.

Its been proven again and again and again, that gun confiscations (control) DO NOT WORK:

Chicago Gun Ban Axed After Violent Weekend: At Least 29 Shot, 3 Dead In Weekend Shootings.

Even with the gun ban in place, shootings in Chicago have been rampant. Last weekend, at least 52 were shot and ten killed in just three days, and this weekend the gunfire continued.

Chicago Police Department statistics, we are told, reveal that the City's handgun murder rate has actually increased since the ban was enacted and that Chicago residents now face one of the highest murder rates in the country and rates of other violent crimes that exceed the average in comparable cities.

Crime Rises After D.C. Gun Ban.

Over the years, gun violence has continued to plague the city, reaching staggering levels at times.

In the peak killing year, 1991, the District recorded 482 homicides, or 81 per 100,000 residents, more than triple the 1985 rate. And more than ever, as the city became known as "the nation's murder capital," the gun was the weapon of choice. In 1985, firearms had been used in 65 percent of D.C. homicides. In 1991, they were used in eight out of 10 slayings.

Handgun crime 'up' despite ban.

A new study suggests the use of handguns in crime rose by 40% in the two years after the weapons were banned.

edit on 17-1-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

That is a stupid argument.
None of those things are designed to kill many people quickly and easily.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yes. In truth, the government agenda is the opposite of what it appears. They want more guns in people's hands and a confrontation! Look how many more guns have been sold since this gun confiscation talk came out. Massive amounts of guns are now being bought daily.

This guns issue is much more than just about the "2nd Amendment". People need to see the much bigger picture here...

link   
Oh give me a break with this anti-2nd propaganda. The US isn't even on the top 10 list of countries with violent crime. Mexico, however, is one of the bloodiest places to live in today and its because the citizens have been disarmed, giving complete control over to the corrupt and the cartels.

link   
reply to post by blupblup

My Turn , My Turn.

"We Need More Guns to Protect Us From People Who Have More Guns."
edit on 17-1-2013 by Tw0Sides because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Well yeah............ but what about DRs or cars? they kill people shouldnt we ban them too????

To the rest of the world its as simple as.................. DUH!!!!!!!!!!

Guns in a society do not make you safer, sure it may make the individual who has a loaded gun on them safer but society............. HELLS NO!!!!!

Most Americans dont seem to see it that way, its all about "I have a gun so my family is safe, F*** the rest"

I genuinely feel sorry for people like you who choose or have no choice but to live in a society where guns are everywhere and accepted

Its not just a safety thing....back in the old day when everyone used to carry swords instead....it was not only protection, but it created a more civil society....people were more courteous....

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Your facts, numbers and assumptions are incorrect:

Japan
0.06 guns for every 100 people (lowest of nations)
0.07 Gun related Deaths for every 100,000 people

Chile
10.7 Guns for every 100 people (10+ more than Japan)
0.06 Gun related deaths for every 100,000 people (0.01 less than Japan) - (Lowest of all nations)

United States
88.8 Guns for every 100 people (88 times more than Japan, so we should have at the very least 80 gun related deaths for every 100,000 people)

10.2 gun related deaths every 100,000 people (not quite the numbers you will expect if guns were the issue)

El Salvador
5.8 Guns for every 100 people (1/2 of weapons than Chile — 15 times less than the US)
50.36 gun related deaths every 100,000 people (5+ more than in the US)

I also found that in the US 26 % of the population has some kind of mental issues... That to me is the problem we are not addressing.

links to info:

www.nimh.nih.gov...

www.gunpolicy.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

You might see this and discounted, but anything regarding amount of weapons or any other statistics goes out of the window when you see this, we should be killing 88 people out of a 100 if guns were the issue.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I kinda miss where it's a problem to solve or worry about in the first place. Until politicians MADE it the issue of the day over the top of fiscal collapse, Benghazi, Syria and a host of other Government failures......it wasn't a problem to NEED the nation's attention. Now, you'd think the world would end if gun laws aren't passed and passed VERY QUICKLY too. Must be FAST... can't even take the time for Congress to legally return to sit in the new session. Nope.. that's entirely too long to wait.

I haven't heard anyone saying we need MORE guns, either. If anything...the market is a bit over-saturated when there isn't a panic going. Prices are already so low ...sans panic buying...that firearms as an investment are a fools game. I wouldn't mind seeing a reduction in numbers ..but that ought to be by market force and citizen's choices not by the FORCE of Federal Politicians ORDERING it be so. That's where the problem comes in.

A Federal problem this is not. A federal problem it shall give them though.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
We need more guns to stop all the needless shootings!!! We need more burgers to stop the obesity problem!!!

Another comment that makes no sense at all.

Why are people reluctant to enforce existing laws?

Why was the assault weapons ban Constitutional in the 10 years from 1994-2005 and somehow not Constitutional under this President?

Take some time.

Think about it.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuniorsan
Your facts, numbers and assumptions are incorrect:

Japan
0.06 guns for every 100 people (lowest of nations)
0.07 Gun related Deaths for every 100,000 people

Chile
10.7 Guns for every 100 people (10+ more than Japan)
0.06 Gun related deaths for every 100,000 people (0.01 less than Japan) - (Lowest of all nations)

United States
88.8 Guns for every 100 people (88 times more than Japan, so we should have at the very least 80 gun related deaths for every 100,000 people)

10.2 gun related deaths every 100,000 people (not quite the numbers you will expect if guns were the issue)

El Salvador
5.8 Guns for every 100 people (1/2 of weapons than Chile — 15 times less than the US)
50.36 gun related deaths every 100,000 people (5+ more than in the US)

I also found that in the US 26 % of the population has some kind of mental issues... That to me is the problem we are not addressing.

links to info:

www.nimh.nih.gov...

www.gunpolicy.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

You might see this and discounted, but anything regarding amount of weapons or any other statistics goes out of the window when you see this, we should be killing 88 people out of a 100 if guns were the issue.

YOU CANT LOOK AT JUST GUN NUMBERS. Yes, people may get shot less, but now they get stabbed, and assaulted with other weapons MORE.

I challenge you to find all other violent crime statistics to put side by side the gun statistics.....its impossible to NOT see the corelation

edit on 17-1-2013 by koder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Was the last assault weapons ban effective?

What is the trend in crimes involving assault weapons since the ban’s expiration?

As explained above, there has been no comprehensive nationwide study done since 2004.

However, the Police Executive Research Forum reported several findings in "Guns and Crime: Breaking New Ground by Focusing on the Local Impact" in 2010.

Since the ban’s expiration in 2004:

37 percent of police agencies who responded to this survey reported that they’ve seen noticeable increases in the use of assault weapons by criminals.

53 percent reported seeing increases in large-caliber handguns, such as .40 caliber weapons.

38 percent reported noticeable increases in criminals’ use of semiautomatic weapons with high-capacity magazines (holding 10 or more rounds).

edit on 17-1-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
nevermind
edit on 17-1-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

They are men hiding beneath the skirts of the NRA.

Want to hear the NRA's motto in 1957?

“In 1957, when the N.R.A. moved into new headquarters,” Lepore writes, “its motto, at the building’s entrance, read, ‘Firearms Safety Education, Marksmanship Training, Shooting for Recreation.’

The difference between 1957 and 1977...was the “rights revolution”—a liberal, not a conservative, movement that sought to pursue civil rights through the courts:

In the nineteen-sixties, gun ownership as a constitutional right was less the agenda of the N.R.A. than of black nationalists.

In a 1964 speech, Malcolm X said, “Article number two of the constitutional amendments provides you and me the right to own a rifle or a shotgun.”

Establishing a constitutional right to carry a gun for the purpose of self-defense was part of the mission of the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense, which was founded in 1966.

“Black People can develop Self-Defense Power by arming themselves from house to house, block to block, community to community throughout the nation,” Huey Newton said.

It wasn’t until the 1970s that the N.R.A. “began advancing the argument that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual’s right to carry a gun, rather than the people’s right to form armed militias to provide for the common defense,” and describing gun-safety legislation as an attack on a constitutional right.

nancyfriedman.typepad.com...
edit on 17-1-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by yuniorsan

The US is #10 on the list of ALL COUNTRIES IN THE World in Gun Deaths per Capita....!!!!

We have 250MIllion Guns in the US. Many MORE GUNS than everyone else ...!!!! Why are we so High on the List if we are SOOOOO safe according to the GUN Nuts..? More Guns= More Safety... Thats the argument being made... HOWS THAT WORKING OUT FOR US?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by blupblup

Another comment that makes no sense at all.

Not really.... it makes perfect sense and it's the logic used by Gun Morons.

Every time there is a tragedy, gun sales rocket... what does that say? It says that people think the more guns that they have and ergo, everyone else has, the safer they are.

The equivalent would be eating burgers (and more food) to stop getting fat.

Just the kind of logic Gun Lovin' Americans espouse.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
You will never be safe until you have one more gun than your next door neighbour.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I'll feel safe when others stop trying to tell me how to eat, drink, think and live.

Of course, I am realistic enough to know that will never stop. Everyone has their idea of Utopia, but the problem is that it will never be. And there are many who cannot accept that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join