It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fla. Senate Panel Votes To Ban Spying With Drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Well three cheers for the FL Senate!

Here in FL every law enforcement agency or other group that could scrape enough money and clout together has been itching to get a drone in the air. Some instances of drone use in FL detailed in the articles below...

Orlando Florida Patrolled By Surveillance Drones As Early As This Summer

Miami-Dade police drones are ready for action

Florida hopes to fill its skies with unmanned aircraft

Well those hopes got a big setback today

Fla. Senate Panel Votes To Ban Spying With Drones

A bill (SB 92) that would prohibit law enforcement agencies from gathering evidence or other information flew through the Criminal Justice Committee with a unanimous vote Tuesday. It also would ban government agencies from using drones for code enforcement.

I know its just in the bill stage now. But hopefully, this will pass all the hurdles and make it into law. Its nice to know that at least some in government haven't sold us totally down the river.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
My best wishes on this one, to be sure. The whole concept of policing by remote control toy is just outrageous and insane.....but it'll take a few HIGH profile hack jobs and just plain equipment failure over the worst things to crash into, to prove that point I fear.

Cops need adult supervision..and Aunt Janet at DHS ain't it. She needs supervision herself and in the worst way. The DHS grants and all out give aways to get 30,000+ drones into active service across the nation and down to local law enforcement level is just over the top 'East German Stasi' type crap.

Good for Florida and I hope the stand is taken with force and enthusiasm. God knows, the feds WILL greet such a challenge with plenty of their own if it makes it far enough.
edit on 17-1-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That's a good point. If this bill makes it into law (and I hope it does) the Feds will likely either fight it or just try to ignore it when they want to use a drone. Goodness knows with all the military, coast guard, ICE & DEA activity in FL there are likely drones flying around from some (or all ) of those agencies.

join