It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Few Questions Regarding Gun-control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Ok I'm asking this out of an honest need to know what your thoughts are; primarily those who support the assault gun ban.

First question is: what is the difference between a semi-auto pistol, and a semi-auto rifle? Seeing as people are so adamant about banning all assault rifles, I'm wondering what exactly makes one especially dangerous vs a semi-auto pistol (or dual pistols).

Second question: Lets take a quick look at the statistics. Handguns account for 72% (6,220) of all firearm homicides. Rifles account for 3.5% (323). If we're going to be logically consistent, wouldn't we also want to ban handguns?

Lastly: "Why do you need an assault rifle??"? A: because it's nobody's business whether a responsible gun owner wants to fire his/her weapon from the shoulder. B: The erosion of liberty comes incrementally & gradually; once this ban is in place, there will be a mass shooting with pistols, & then they will be banned. C: Selective fire/automatic rifles are already strictly regulated, so this ban will pretty much cover semi-autos.

If you support the ban of semi-auto rifles now, then your children will support the ban of handguns when their time comes.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Quite the rhetorical post you have here. You answered all your questions yourself. I don't disagree with you here, but interesting to see where this goes.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu

If you support the ban of semi-auto rifles now, then your children will support the ban of handguns when their time comes.

Do you think we'll see a guy in a mask at a theater with a revolver and a bag of 100 speedloaders?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Well that's part of the point behind the post. It's inquisitive but also rhetorical. I want to know if the gun-control advocates can answer those questions directly. If so, it may sway my opinion on the matter. I don't want any knee-jerk responses or illogical diatribe; I want factual, direct answers.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Ok I'm asking this out of an honest need to know what your thoughts are; primarily those who support the assault gun ban.

First question is: what is the difference between a semi-auto pistol, and a semi-auto rifle? Seeing as people are so adamant about banning all assault rifles, I'm wondering what exactly makes one especially dangerous vs a semi-auto pistol (or dual pistols).

Second question: Lets take a quick look at the statistics. Handguns account for 72% (6,220) of all firearm homicides. Rifles account for 3.5% (323). If we're going to be logically consistent, wouldn't we also want to ban handguns?

Lastly: "Why do you need an assault rifle??"? A: because it's nobody's business whether a responsible gun owner wants to fire his/her weapon from the shoulder. B: The erosion of liberty comes incrementally & gradually; once this ban is in place, there will be a mass shooting with pistols, & then they will be banned. C: Selective fire/automatic rifles are already strictly regulated, so this ban will pretty much cover semi-autos.

Assault riffles often use large rounds, and can shoot more accurately... especially at long distances.

Dual pistols is a joke.

Generally speaking, an individual with a handgun is not able to commit acts of mass murder. Largely due to shorter accuracy range. Banning handguns is not the answer to addressing acts of mass murder, it is rifles.

Assault rifles often reflect premeditated crimes, as opposed to defense. Handguns are used in crimes, but their possession is based on the premise of defending from one or two individuals, not crowds. Much of the perception behind possessing an assault rifle is associated with the idea of multiple targets, which does not reflect the reality behind the necessity of possessing a fire arm.

Ok, I made all that up lol. It's hard to get in that mind frame.

This whole debate is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

the difference between pistols and rifles? one has a longer range, and better accuracy. the other is lighter and better concealed and smaller mass.

the difference between anti gunners and mindless sheep, nothing.

anti gunners only see what is right in front of there nose and dont think about the future. our kids will have to live in a place ruled by tyranny if we let anti gunners have there way.

and the reason why we all need an assault rifle, is because the goverment and law enforcement carry assault rifles, if ours get taken that puts complete power in the hands of the goverment. is that what anti gunners want?

i get it though, the goverment and its politicians are 100 percent honest, and dont care about money and power, so if they have all the guns im sure everything will turn out ok

every time a goverment has disarmed its people death follows, does anybody else understand this?
edit on 17-1-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by retirednature

dual pistols would be useful if you were able to shoot accurately with both hands one handed. u could empty one and then switch to the other. if you were equally as accurate with both hands you have twice as ammo to spend without the reload time. although i wouldn't recommend it. it would be prudent to have one of your hands free in any given situation. hence shoulder straps that are usually used for rifles

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXX777

Do you think we'll see a guy in a mask at a theater with a revolver and a bag of 100 speedloaders?

A revolver is not a semi auto pistol. If you want to be cute about it then at least compare apples to apples. I can get a 33rd magazine for my pistol. That's 3 MORE rounds than a standard 30rd rifle magazine. Now do you want to ban pistols?

posted on Jan, 17 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXX777

Thats all the VA Tech shooter had.

We should look at the history of the assault on assault weapons in the US. This is the second one I have lived through.

Trust me when I tell you that some or many in power are very uneasy, for political reasons, about all the assault weapons out there.....and why they are out there....and the sort of people that have the......

If we could all put on a set of specail glasses, like 3d or x-ray, and see the true nature of the people in "government" out for guns, that care nothing for the 2nd, we would be shocked.

new topics

top topics

join