It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Meaning of Life?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Judging by your responce, I think that you will LOVE Buddhism. But, really, at the end of it all it is who will carry your blood, and how much fun you had. One more thing that I forgot to put in previously: Helping others becoming immortal in their minds is one of the best ways to live. Immortality through seed and memory, the only way to live forever, short of telomere surgery.

XAOS

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Ha. Simplest question I've ever heard, the answer is in the question.

The meaning of life is to find life's meaning.

Everthing is a spectrum with two sides to every view.

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
short and to the point, what more could you ask for!

blackwidow

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Who cares?!

Life is life is life. It's a never-ending continuum of nothingness. The meaning of life... I think... is just to exist, expirience, and move on. And once you're dead... no one notices. They forget the past and cotinue to move on as a race. That's the meaning of life.

But yet... Does even that explain true meaning? Lookin' at the real effect we have in this big expanse of absolutely nothing we call the Universe, it makes us look bad. We try as hard as we can, and yet we still have no real impact on anything but us.

I see it as sad. We try very hard to see what our meaning is, but yet we don't really have one. We're the luck of the draw. Some stupid race that evolved from God's first creatures on some little dustball of a planet. We got lucky. We got real lucky when our distant ancestors finally picked up a rock and said "Can I use this?" And since then, what has our intellect got us? Nothing. So this pretty much shoots down the "learn, live, and die" theory.

In the end..... It is pointless trying to figure out why we're here. It's futile to try and discover what our tiny brains can't understand. I just don't get it why people care. But hey, it's your life. Go ahead and spend it pondering the indiscoverable.

Signing off,
HLW

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Thanks for the comment Blackwidow666, I could go into it more deeply, but everybody has their own theory and ideas of what life is.

My idea of what the meaning of life is to enjoy the journey while I still have air in my lungs.

[Edited on 5/7/2003 by FoxStriker]

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   
yes 'fox' with you there, you only get 1 chance of life, so you should live each day as though its your last.

Blackwidow

[Edited on 7-5-2003 by blackwidow666]

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Certainly not Buddhists, or Hindus....

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I don't buy the genetic tag team idea that you live to procreate. So who was YOUR great grandfather?

I also don't buy the cute phrase that "he who dies with the most toys wins"

People who HAVE died and come back (NDE's) seem to often become very people orientated and want to help others more than before. You also see this in people who have heart attacks and get the chance to reassess their lives.

Helping others in their walk through life is the meaning of life, being part of the great human society, being remembered with gratitude by people who needed you and you were there.

Those with the greatest lives are often those who gave their lives for a great passion, and for others.

VzH

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
the 7th day, God created every living creature that now moved, and one was man.
Mud as man alone could speak.
God leaned close as mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke.
Man blinked.
�What is the purpose of all this?� he asked politely.
�Everything must have a purpose?� answered God.
�Certainly,� said man.

�Then I leave you to think of one for all this,� said God, and he went away..........

[Edited on 7-5-2003 by VzH]

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm compiling a list of everything that exists in the universe - every feeling, emotion, action, thought and desire.
I'm checking off all the ones that AREN'T the meaning of life.
When I finish the list, I'll know the meaning of life as the one thing I didn't check off.
I have a suspicion that everything will be checked off as not being the meaning of life. In which case, I guess the list itself was the meaning.
IOW- to expirience everything. Every good thing and every bad thing. Every fun thing and every boring thing. ETC. etc.
Since I have as many lives as necessary to complete this task, I can spend as much time as I want goofing off in each life.
The Universe will wait for me.

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The meaning of life to me is to be the best you can be with what you have got.

I am married with a beautiful wife, I have a house and a great job....And my little boy..my pride and joy...I have found my meaning of life and I am enjoying it every single day I breathe air.

So what if you have no money - assests etc... As long as you put in your 100% to whatever you persue no one can ever tell you that you haven't done well enough.

Chris

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Well said!

Say, oz..is that roo getting sore. He seems to be scratching nonstop?!

ewww...nm, he ain't scratchin...

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
You see..every one of god's creatures can find the meaning of life...

My avatar is the perfect example... this roo has found what he enjoys...and constantly does it...I blew up that image and I swear there is a smile on it's face.

Chris

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 09:52 PM
link   
What is the meaning of life??

What is the meaning of meaning?

VzH

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 06:03 AM
link   
with another_one we have spoiled your subject matter........... sorry BW666............

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Yep VhZ.
Next the cut paste, cut paste, nope wrong,cut paste,cut paste, no evidence didnt really happen, cut paste, love summision. And with that you would think he'D know!.

And just for the record I'm Not bashing any religions.

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Don't worry VZH, you are the first, but don't think you will be the last?

Lets just say you owe me one?

Or is that too much?

Blackwidow

[Edited on 8-5-2003 by blackwidow666]

[Edited on 8-5-2003 by blackwidow666]

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddas
Yep VhZ.
Next the cut paste, cut paste, nope wrong,cut paste,cut paste

Nope, wrong.

I use copy and paste

And will continue to do so. Why should I type everything out? Only a moron like someone you might know would type everything out instead of copying and pasting. Damn, you're as sharp as a bowling ball

no evidence didnt really happen, cut paste, love summision.

I think you mean submission but yeah, if something is not true I will point it out every single time. What's the problem?

And with that you would think he'D know!.

Eh?

And just for the record I'm Not bashing any religions.

No, only defending my own

Bye.

PS: You're wrong, I'm right.

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Sigh .. why do we always get so often off track in a discussion and trash the thread.

Here is a famous Maori saying on the meaning of life. Alien gave me the actual maori.

He aha te mea nui o te Ao...He Tangata, He Tangata, He Tangata'

'What is the most important thing in the world...it is people, it is people, it is people'

Truth trancends races

[Edited on 13-5-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on May, 12 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
right now, we haven't a purpose. our gov't has given us one. but we haven't created one for ourselves. so...

at present our purpose is

...to die!.........!?

oh well.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join