It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radio DJs suspended

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 11:08 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This just shows the sad state of affairs in America right now

XAOS

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
No offence here guys......

What the hell happened to free speech?

Not good...not good at all!

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The DJ's were suspended because they werent suppossed to play the Dixie Chicks. They did something that was obviously against the rules, why the big fuss?

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen
No offence here guys......

What the hell happened to free speech?

Not good...not good at all!

I don't think the station was trying to keep them from free speech but the thing is, if its a private owned station, then its just like working for any other private company....You do what the boss says in terms of the company's business and have your free speech on your dime. I'm sure its their job to play an approved play list. Hey NPR could fire people for not following programming content too and our taxes pay for them so are we to say a private station can't make decisions to cater to their audience? How many sponsors you supposed they lost. We all have a right to free speech but no one has the right to be heard ie..forcing another to hear your opinion if they don't want to. Thats the catch.

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Oh...didn't realise that it was a private station!

Well, break the rules and you'll pay the consequences!

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I think just the fact that they stopped playing dixie chicks because the chicks exercised free speech is bad. The stations had to realize that there were those who boycotted them because of it. And since their comment they have rocketed in popularity all over the world.

www.twincities.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

I still dont like country, or the dixie chicks music.

XAOS

[Edited on 7-5-2003 by xaos]

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 11:40 AM
link   
A radio station is a business. They have the right to make their own policies. They are not a forum for anyone and everyone to exercise their free speech. DJ's have and will be fired if they say things that reflect badly (in the execs' minds) on the station. Likewise, a station can say who it will and will not play. Many feel that the Dixie Chicks (by insulting the president, not by being against the war) ticked off a lot of their fanbase, and some stations didn't want to be dragged down with them.

An interesting side note to this...in my neck of the woods, Clear Channel had already sponsored a Dixie Chicks concert (before the comment), and yet it allowed it's DJs to say "don't go to the concert"

new topics

top topics

join