It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Art

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I thought I would post this here because an earthquake, of all things, did this:

On February 28, 2001, a magnitude 6.8 earthquake, located some thirty miles (48 km) below the surface of the Earth moved the ground for a bit more than half a minute. Damage was surprisingly light on account of the epicenter’s depth. A sand tracing pendulum located at a shop in Port Townsend, Washington, called Mind Over Matter (since moved to Sedona, Arizona), produced some very interesting patterns.

Source

A lot of people typically don't associate earthquakes with art. Understandable. But I think this just goes to how something so powerful can also make something so beautiful at the same time. It's the juxtaposition of it all.

Sorry about the pic not being centered. Don't know how to fix it. The full picture is in the link.
edit on 15-1-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Something good out of something bad... awesome.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Thanks, OP. That is very cool.
Have you seen the 3-D sculpture of the seismogram from the Tohoku earthquake?

Source--- artist's link

For such a destructive subject, I find it hauntingly beautiful. Definitely mixed emotions.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

A lot of people typically don't associate earthquakes with art. Understandable. But I think this just goes to how something so powerful can also make something so beautiful at the same time. It's the juxtaposition of it all.

That's because it isn't art (but it is undeniably beautiful, of course).
"Art" is by definition an artificial, conscious creation.

Nature creates what we perceive as beauty all the time -- and it usually creates it by what we perceive as destruction.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Earths resonant frequency waves captured in a plate of sand and preserved......Freaking Incredible!
And quite beautiful I must say.

That just makes me smile.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AdAstra

Perhaps it is the artificial conscious creation of a greater being........GOD ART....

Seriously tho, someone took the time to create the actual 3D representation of the waveform and color it and light it so I would have to classify it as art after all.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Wow. That is mental! s&f.

It looks like a pool of water being gently parted, to reveal a rose beneath .
Stunning....yet eerie.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Thanks to all. I just found the juxtaposition between the sheer force of nature and the creation of something so delicate..................mindblowing.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Very cool.
Kind of looks like an eye with an unfolding iris. Really neat! Also would love to see a 3d version.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Thanks for a nice, interesting twist to shake, rattle and roll!!

Peace!! ID

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Turn the picture 90 degrees to the side, and i see the all-seeing eye. This is really cool.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThoughtIsMadness
reply to post by AdAstra

Perhaps it is the artificial conscious creation of a greater being........GOD ART....

Ah - I won't argue with that. Good point. :-)

top topics

join